shape
carat
color
clarity

Love my diamond, but do I see a dark shadow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond4noob

Rough_Rock
I have recently purchased a diamond engagement ring (after stalking this board and gathering as much info as possible) and am now happily engaged!!! My gf loves her new ring and frequently gets complements from friends. Makes me so proud
16.gif

I love the way the ring looks but sometimes (usually when she is not around) I look at it closely and i can sometimes see a "dark" shadow in the center of the ring? I have to bring my head close and I only see it at certain angles. Is this a characteristic specific to my diamond cut or is this common? Also what do you think of this diamonds table size and spread? It seems slightly deep and with a large table.

Here are the stats on the diamond:
Round 1.13 ct G SI1
. Depth %: 60.4
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 34.5
. Crown %: 14.8
. Star : 54
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.7
. Lower Girdle %: 78
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.73-6.75X4.07
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

I paid $6495. I think this was a slightly high price. I think i paid somewhat of a premium for cut. What do you experts think?

PS: this forum is amazing! I was so worried about getting a diamond online until I came here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is common and due to head obstruction, your diamond has excellent numbers and although shallower proportioned diamonds can show the most obstruction, I have found even well proportioned diamonds can darken a bit if you view that closely. I don't think you have anything to worry about, you bought a diamond with super proportions. The table size and depth, angles are all good, nothing is lacking!

Enjoy your diamond and congrats on your engagement!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One word - SUPER!!! Is it an ACA?

diamond4noob

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Good to know. All credit for my purchase goes to this forum. The knowledge I gained from reading the posts here really made me feel like an educated consumer.
36.gif

PS - Wow you are good. How did you guess it was an ACA!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good.

Easy to deduce it was an ACA. The ASET and IS format is WF and only ACA gets the Hearts image.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is neither deep nor large-tabled.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 4:27:03 PM
Author: diamond4noob
Thanks! Good to know. All credit for my purchase goes to this forum. The knowledge I gained from reading the posts here really made me feel like an educated consumer.
36.gif

PS - Wow you are good. How did you guess it was an ACA!
Oh that was extremely easy! I can''t take any credit as any regular would know that! But truly you picked a great diamond, nothing to worry about!

diamond4noob

Rough_Rock
Oh, yeah. I guess the images did give it away.
20.gif
Not that I was trying to hide anything. I left out the seller info in an attempt to minimize any bias.

What is everyones opinion on the premiums charged dealers of "super ideal" cut diamonds?

I haven''t done any extensive research but i''m sure these dealers charge more for there extra work (testing/cutting/selecting well cut diamonds). Although I feel that I got exactly what I wanted at a good price, I also feel that if I did more of the leg work and hunted for a diamond with ideal cut parameters but without such a pedigree I would have saved some $$.
22.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 5:03:23 PM
Author: diamond4noob
Oh, yeah. I guess the images did give it away.
20.gif
Not that I was trying to hide anything. I left out the seller info in an attempt to minimize any bias.

What is everyones opinion on the premiums charged dealers of 'super ideal' cut diamonds?

I haven't done any extensive research but i'm sure these dealers charge more for there extra work (testing/cutting/selecting well cut diamonds). Although I feel that I got exactly what I wanted at a good price, I also feel that if I did more of the leg work and hunted for a diamond with ideal cut parameters but without such a pedigree I would have saved some $$.
22.gif
No worries! I quite understand what you meant, I know you weren't trying to hide anything and why you didn't post the vendor name.

As to pricing it depends, yes you can do more work to find a well cut diamond yourself but it also depends on the benefits you want from that purchase, if an upgrade policy, buyback etc might be an option then it can pay to go with a vendor who can provide these. Personally I don't mind paying extra for a branded diamond with all the info provided and various benefits, and I am glad to pay a vendor who can provide these advantages and can rightfully charge for them rather than a drop shipper, so it depends on what you value from your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results