shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AMF515

Rough_Rock
I guess I should have done more reasearch but I am new to this. I put a deposit on a emerald cut a few days ago. (it's refundable) on the following:

GIA
7.65 X 5.15 X 3.64
1.33 carat
Depth 70.7
Table 70 %
Girdle: extremely thin to thick
Cutlet: none
Polish: very good
symmetry: good
Calrity: VS1
Color: I
Flour: none
price $4600.

The David Atlas site shows a 4A if I did it right! Is it really that bad? How can I do better. Please Help a newbie ! I have about $5,000 to spend on the stone & want something very nice for that $. at least 1- 1.20 carat. Am I in the ball park ? ANy assistance appreciated. Thanks

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Yes you can do better!! Do a quick search here on Procescope to find rings in your budget .. they will be much better cut! I will go take a peek and see what I can find for you.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
These are just a few of the stones I found when searching for 1-1.5 carat emeralds, there are many many more and some slightly smaller but higher in clarity and color, and even cheaper ... remember, if the clarity is SI 1, just make sure it's eye clean, and you can go up in carat size without compromising any quality ... also, as you can see, with these stones, you can go up in color. I prefer a very white diamond, and I notice the yellow in an "I" color. I can't tell you the cut of everyone of these diamonds, but from what I have read about the vendors featured on this site, each one will give you all of the information to help you make the best choice.

H
VS2
62.5%
63%
GIA
vtn-m
no
gd
vg
no
6.78x6.08x3.8
$4673P

G
SI1
65.3%
65%
GIA
tn -m
no
vg
gd
no
7.81x5.22x3.41
$4734*

G
SI1
65.3%
65%
GIA
tn -m
no
vg
gd
no
7.81x5.22x3.41
$4752*SP

G
SI1
65.3%
65%
GIA
tn -m
no
vg
gd
no
7.81-5.22x3.41
$4752*

G
SI1
65.3%
65%
GIA
tn -m
no
vg
gd
no
7.81-5.22x3.41
$4755*S

G
SI1
65.3%
65%
GIA
tn -m
no
vg
gd
no
7.81-5.22x3.41
$4797P

G
SI1
65.3%
65%
GIA
tn-m
no
vg
gd
no
7.81-5.22x3.41
$4929

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy has listed only two stones for you here - the last six are the same stone and they differ only in price.

Both do, however, have nice table and depth %'s, but still need to be seen.

You should be aware that an emerald cut will more likely show inclusions, especially in this size, than a comparable brilliant cut stone, so you might not want to go to an SI1.

Emerald cuts will also show color more easily than brilliant cuts, so keep this in mind if you want a very white stone.

There is also the important consideration of Length:Width ratio, so you need to know what ballpark you want there.

Good luck!

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about that, I cut and pasted from the PS search results. I guess different vendors are quuoting different prices for the same stone.
confused.gif

Like I said, there are lots of other stones, some smaller with higher colors and clairty grades still within your budget and target carat size. Personally, I like eye clean SI 1 stones in order to get larger size wthout compromising the beauty of the stone, but in Emerald cuts you really want to make sure that they are eye clean because like the expert says, the inclusions can be seen more readily in the emerald cut. But whatever your preference, I would suggest finding out about more options than the one you've put a deposit on.

Just my 02c.

AMF515

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info but how do you go about seeing these stones sold over the internet ?

And where do i go to see the spec's for a nice emerald cut other than the atlas site ?

Are there any other resources ?

I was a little confused there. Good thing abt Atlas is that he is right up the street from the store I put the deposit on. In Philadelphia..

Thanks in advance & keep the info coming...much appreciated

one more thing, does that Atlas site mean all that much as the 2 stones above only get a 3B !

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/11/2003 7:21:30 PM AMF515 wrote:

Thanks for the info but how do you go about seeing these stones sold over the internet ?

Just go to the home page on Pricescope and do the quick search for diamonds picking an emerald shape and your specifications, and you will get a huge list of available diamonds and you can click on any of the sites.

And where do i go to see the spec's for a nice emerald cut other than the atlas site ?

As far as specifications for fancy shapes, in my opinion, they are just a guide and not meant to be a full proof system like they are for rounds. Atlas will tell you this, too (do a search on previous posts and fancy shape grading systems). Frankly, my stone is graded a 3A according to the system, and it's a stunner, and got rave reviews from the independent appraiser. However that said,it is a guide, I'm just not sure how strict you should be with it. The best route in my opoinion is to pick a stone that speaks to you and looks great with the quality you are looking for, and to confirm your choice, have it independently appraised to determine if you've got a good cut or at least that you paid the right price for the quality of the stone you chose.

Try Whiteflash.com and goodoldgold.com to search for more stones in your budget.

Good luck,and I'm sure the experts will give you feedback!
1.gif

AMF515

Rough_Rock
I located another prospect in addition to the one listed in my 1st post ! Need thoughts on the latest prospect please...here it is:

Emerald cut - GIA
1.25 carat

7.43 x 5.32 . 3.65
depth: 68.6%
table: 70 %
Thin to Medium
Cutlet: none
polish good
sym; good
Carity: SI1
COlor: E
flour: none

curious as to what you all think this should cost? Other than the color is it a better stone(cut) than the one in the 1st posting ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results