shape
carat
color
clarity

lost my ring, and the ebay find, looking fr discussion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lostmyring

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I have been reading posts here for a while, and have decided to chime in....

This is my story,

I lost my engagemnt ring. Yup folks, lost, gone, see ya...no more.
sad.gif

Over a year ago, it was a beautiful ring, wonderful diamond, beautiful band...sparkly, white, brilliant 1 ct marquee, with all kinds of baguettes and round on the side....

Oh do I miss it...there is an emptyness on my finger that I just can not explain. Along with that, I lost my anniversary band too....(they went together...altleast they have company in the land of the lost..)

My husband spent a fortune on it...a fortune that I can not replace, as we are now married, with kids, a large mortgage and self employed in the construction biz....

But man, I miss my ring...

So out of desperation, I bought one on ebay....
eek.gif
...yes folks, the ultimate diamond sin....

BUT, like I said desperate people do desperate things....

I recieved my ring yesterday...and well, it is quite beautiful. The seller DID NOT misrepresent this ring in any way shape or form, in fact, I believe that he under valued a bit....

I spent $400 on a 1.15 CT round solitare. L-M color, listed as I1-I2....

My mother in law, and diamond expert/snob...(4.5 CT''s on her finger, with an accent band that would blind most people, yes folks, her ring arrives 5 minutes before she does.)

Well, I show her the ring, and she gets out her little loop thingy there....

and puts it at K-L SI2

I know, I know, you guys like the really good diamonds, amd my mother in laws ROCK would make most of you drool...she spent 30K on it, and it is worth MUCH more....

BUT, in all honesty, what is wrong with buying a diamond that has a little color to it. To my untrained eye, it looks beautiful, and my friends think we spent a fortune on it....

What do you think....I mean, did I lose money on it, like I said, 400.00.....

Yes, someday, I will have a better rock, but is this soooooo bad??

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Your story is very sad, I would cry if I lost my diamonds...
I would cry A LOT if I loose the most special diamond I have :
0.64ct, N-O color, VVS2...

Color is rarity, not beauty...

Enjoy your new ring !

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like YOU love it and thats all that matters! eBay is a bargain hunters paradise for a reason, sometimes it's good surprise and sometimes it's bad. It sounds like you got a great deal for $400...that's what some people spend on a purse or a pair of shoes!
9.gif
At least it was not a few thousand dollars which would be alot more stressful if things did not check out. Warm stones definitely appeal to some..while others prefer the icier clear coldiness of a stone. If you got one that fits your criteria, superb! The stone sounds lovely, if your MIL approves it with her loupe, you love it, sounds like you got all the bases covered. Plus your bank account thanks you too.

Don't bother to tell people you got it on eBay, let them think that you spent tons of money on it and that its a D IF...99% of the public can't tell the difference anyway!
1.gif
Size and sparkle is all most people tend to see.

Enjoy your ring. We'd love to see pictures!
1.gif

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
I think it's fantastic that you found such a great deal, and that you now have a nice rock to wear again!
1.gif

I actually lost my mother's wedding ring! It fell right off my finger. It was not terribly valuable.....two opals set in 14k gold....was vintage at the time my father got it for my mother from a pawn shop or something. Anyway, 15 years after I lost it, I was quite randomly browsing ebay and decided to look at opal rings. I came across a ring that neither my mother nor I could definitely say was - or wasn't - THE ring. The seller didn't really know anything about its history, but I bought it anyway. I'll never know if it's really the ring I lost, but I'll never know that it isn't either!

Ebay can be scary, or wonderful!....It sounds like you've done very well, and I'm certainly happy for you! And I'd also love to see pictures!

-Melissa

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I hope you can post pictures of your ring. So often eBay gets a bad rap on this forum. I have made many purchases on eBay with no problems at all, but I have not made a jewelry purchase because of the negative stories I have read. It's nice to hear about a good one. Sounds like your $400 spent is just perfect to hold you over until you can afford your "dream replacement," and it's nice that your MIL gave her stamp of approval.
2.gif

Diamondlil

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I happen to love the lower colors! I wanted a "white" diamond for my e-ring just for tradition's sake, but I have a GIA certed M colored radiant and I just bought a Champagne pear diamond (from Ebay!).

I think diamonds come in lots of beautiful colors. And personally I'd own every one of them if I could. Your ring sounds beautiful! I am happy you could find a ring that makes you happy. I know it will never replace the one you lost, but I am glad that it brings a little joy back to you.

Enjoy your ring! Forget about the ratings, it sounds gorgeous! Please post pics if you can, we'd love to see it!

69gm

Shiny_Rock
sorry to hear about your loss. i know we all feel for you here on the forum. everyone who regularly posts here cares a lot about people and diamonds...i think because we all know the trials and tribulations of finding the right stone.

for $400, i don't think you can go wrong. sounds like you like it a lot. that's all that matters. after all, diamonds are a true luxury item. the only worth they have is in it's owner's enjoyment.

as an experienced ebayer, i know what it's like there. and you're right, it sounds like you knew exactly what you were going to get. that's the only thing that is required on ebay...no misrepresentation.

congratulations on being fortunate enough to find something you like and wear it in good health.

take care and aloha.

lostmyring

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies.....Here is the EBAY pic of the ring.....it does not do it justice, as it does not appear THAT yellow here in real life...

Also, some suggestions on the colors of side diamonds for a setting...what would you do??

Attachments

• 12903.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 191

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty good!!! I would match side stones to the center stone or at least try to get as close as possible...if you try to get colorless side stones the center stone will look much more yellow--unless that is the look you are going for!

You may find that it is easier to get small side stone type diamonds (depending on what you get) in the older style cuts, like old Euro or Mine or Cushion. That could also give the ring more of a period type look.

2.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
It's very sad that you lost your ring
But good that you found one that's new

Maybe someday, somehow, you'll find
The one that was lost to you!

(it COULD happen, I've found things I thought were lost forever)

wavey.gif
wavey.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi lostmyring,

just a little caution that if this is a true I1-I2, it may not be able to reset. depending on the inclusions, it might be dangerous. you should consult a trusted jeweler and/or independant appraiser, like those found on PS.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
LOOK IN THE JEWELRY CLEANER!

My mom "lost" her rings for 2 years and then found them in the jewelry cleaner under her sink!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 8/1/2003 6:55:32 PM NewYorker wrote:

LOOK IN THE JEWELRY CLEANER!

My mom "lost" her rings for 2 years and then found them in the jewelry cleaner under her sink!
----------------

WOW! Think how clean they were!!!

lostmyring

Rough_Rock
Um, well, um.....

I looked in the Jewelry cleaner.........

I found my ring.

I am not kidding......

I was unpacking a box of stuff (just moved) and there was my cleaner....I rememberd the above post....

There it was......

My rings.....

I am still in shock.....

I am not sure if I am even awake....is this a dream....

Someone pinch me......

I can not believe it...........

I think I am dreaming.....

I will post pics in a couple of days, of my old new ring......

Still in shock........

Kiz

Rough_Rock
WOW!!!!

Congrats!! Thats amazing.
6.gif

Good Job NewYorker, you saved the day!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Holy smoke.....that's incredible!

New Yorker, you've got to feel good about this....what a great way to help.

Congrats again, Lost....looks like you'll have to change your name now to Foundmyrings!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
WOW!!! I DO FEEL SO GOOD THAT I COULD HELP YOU!

You must be so happy and I'm so happy now too! I wish I could do that for someone every day, then I would feel good every day.

So, now you have 2 diamond rings! Now I'd make the new one into a pendant.

elgar

Rough_Rock
I gotta ask, I am sorry when I offend everyone, but are you blonde by chance?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you found your rings :)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/25/2003 2
6.gif
1:20 PM elgar wrote:

I gotta ask, I am sorry when I offend everyone, but are you blonde by chance?----------------

I gotta ask.....I'm sorry if I offend you......but is your IQ over 70?
2.gif

LOL
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

(I KNOW I should have refrained, but I just couldn't!)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's wonderful! Congratulations!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is too funny!

Lostmyring, please change your handle now.
1.gif
I'm truly happy that you found it.

NewYorker,
appl.gif
, what a great suggestion! Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted this outcome for Lostmyring!
6.gif
But I can somehow relate when one day instead of placing my ring in its holder, I sent it straight to the cleaner. The next morning when I looked for it (in the holder) and it wasn't there, I had that sick, sinking feeling in my gut, until I sat to think for a moment and mentally back tracked my steps the day before and remembered I put it in the cleaner.

It does happen, I have 3 kids and a crazy life. All I can say is it does happen, and no, I'm not blonde either.
9.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I felt really happy reading the ending to your story. Very very glad that you found your ring.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
WOW! What a story to laugh about now.
9.gif

I guess you are a proud owner of a "right hand ring" too!
appl.gif

Congrats!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
My mom isn't blonde either, just a little forgetful - after you give birth and raise some babies it happens. Must have been a man that asked if you're blonde because they don't "get it".

lostmyring

Rough_Rock
Tanya, I do not know how I can ever repay you.....I am still in shock.....

The rings are very...very...very clean.
2.gif

As for blond....only for right now, when I 'lost' the rings, I was auburn....

Boy, can one REALLY tell the difference in color when one puts a 'L'next to a 'G'.

Ya know, I have had a really crappy.....year, this made it a little better......

hmm...now I must look into changing my name......
9.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on finding your ring -- what an amazing story! Please post pictures of your original (recovered) ring -- I love marquise diamonds.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Nah, you don't need to repay me..... but if you get the urge to send me your L ring feel free. he he he

My mom's is marquee shape also (1.25 carats or so) - so is my sister's. I had to be different and get a round one.

That's what these boards are for... to help each other out.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/25/2003 3:13:57 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 8/25/2003 2
6.gif"
1:20 PM elgar wrote:

I gotta ask, I am sorry when I offend everyone, but are you blonde by chance?----------------

I gotta ask.....I'm sorry if I offend you......but is your IQ over 70?
2.gif

LOL
11.gif"
11.gif"
11.gif"

(I KNOW I should have refrained, but I just couldn't!)
----------------

Actually, I thought it was pretty funny. But then, I have a blonde sister who belongs to Mensa. She is truly brilliant w/ the common sense of a Nat. Being the evil sister that I am, we once told her Alaska was pulled over by tug boats & attached to the U.S. We had her going for a while.

That said, Men simply can not multi-task. They don't; so, they can't forget to complete a task.

What a happy ending to your ring loss! Get that baby insured!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results