shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost in Princess cuts...

RockyUnderstanding

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

About two weeks ago I started doing some research into an engagement ring. In the past couple of years we've talked generally about rings and what she likes, even getting down to looking at different types, but never into specifics like size, color, etc. I'm trying to maintain at least a shred of surprise, so I'm hoping to not bring along shopping for diamonds or rings, and I'm doing most of my research on the internet.

So far, I know the following:

Princess cut [or similar] diamond - this has gotten progressively murkier as I learn more about the seemingly infinite number of different types of square diamonds!
Platinum pave setting that shows just the stones, not closer to channel set with metal on each side. Something similar to this:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_12925
Budget: For the diamond + setting, I'm looking at about $10,000.

Now, as far as the stone goes...
I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding how all the different names for these square cuts are related. So far, my understanding is [apologies for writing it all down like this but it helps to order it in my head]:

Princess cut - more reflective, lots of smaller sparkles, pointed corners. From what I have read, primarily here, these are also referred to as square modified brilliant.

Radiant cut - similar to princess but with the tips cut off. To my horribly untrained eye they appear to have very similar brightness / brilliance. Perhaps slightly larger facets.

Asscher cut - I'm not sure how to correctly describe it, but the immediate thing that comes to mind to me is very square-looking cut.

Cushion cut - Similarly reflective to princess, lots of smaller facets with a lot of small sparkles. Can sometimes [often?] look flat / dull, crushed ice was used to describe it somewhere..

However, as I've gotten further into the process and dug deeper into some websites, I've found the following that I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Are these just individual manufacturers take on a general cut?

Solasfera Princess
Quadex

Also, I know that there is quite a bit of information regarding cuts of round brilliant diamonds, especially on the GIA printouts [I have a couple to try and learn what I'm seeing from a family friend]. Is there similar information that I should be looking for on the princess cut diamonds?

Any other tips, links, or information would be greatly appreciated. As you can probably tell if you made it this far, it seems like I'm still in a little bit over my head. I'm headed to a couple of jewelery stores this weekend to take a look at some diamonds and get an understanding of what's realistic and in my price range, as I focus a little bit.

Thanks for the help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome! Has your GF expressed preference for a princess cut diamond specifically or just a 'square' diamond? You are correct in that there are many types of square diamonds! She may not even be familiar with all of the different types.

I would narrow your search to princess or princess of hearts/quadex because these are easier to shop for and they both have the straight edges.

The solasfera is a 'brand' of princess cut. The princess of hearts and quadex have optics more similar to a round diamond but are square.

Cushions can be tricky to shop for as there are so many different types with different optics and these also do not have the straight edges of a princess cut. Asschers have a very different look so if she has mentioned she likes princess then she probably will not like the asscher. Radiants are also hard to shop for.

These videos might be helpful...this compares a princess and a princess of hearts (similar to BGD quadex)
http://vimeo.com/6107375
there are many other videos on this site that may be useful!

As far as the setting, may I suggest one where the head is integrated into the ring? By this I mean a setting where the band 'connects' to the head. I think this offers a more 'finished' look to the ring as sometimes when the head is non-integrated there are weird gaps. I think most vendors will have a similar setting to the one you picked out, so I would focus on the diamond first.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should try to snoop around and see what kind of cut she preferrs... Broad flashes like an asscher or emerald cut or the sparkle of a princess or radiant type.

Maybe you can ask a friend of hers? A sister?? Girls tend to tell each other what they do and do not like in rings :)

RockyUnderstanding

Rough_Rock
Thank you both - that's an incredible video for this kind of thing! I may just have to send that to her and ask, for future reference, what she thinks. It's worked before :saint:

I will definitely look at different settings and bands, that was one that we had looked at as an example of the band that appeals.

Is it a good idea to look at the different settings available from the jeweler that I buy the stone from, or is it a better idea to treat them as two separate purchases? Or does it matter?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
RockyUnderstanding|1314798790|3006262 said:
Thank you both - that's an incredible video for this kind of thing! I may just have to send that to her and ask, for future reference, what she thinks. It's worked before :saint:

I will definitely look at different settings and bands, that was one that we had looked at as an example of the band that appeals.

Is it a good idea to look at the different settings available from the jeweler that I buy the stone from, or is it a better idea to treat them as two separate purchases? Or does it matter?

It is definitely easiest to get the setting and center stone from the same vendor because
1) you will not incur shipping expenses
2) you would not need to start an insurance policy during the setting process (typically any damage that could occur during setting would be 'covered' by the vendor)

It is definitely possible to get the center stone and setting at different vendors but since you are looking for a popular setting style that most vendors carry I would focus on the center stone first.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results