shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost in LA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

actingwonder

Rough_Rock
Greetings All,

I would be grateful for any feedback on the following:

2.74 carat
round brilliant
depth 63.6
table 59
polish: very good
symmetry: good
VS2
G

Set in a platinum ring for 32K or just the stone for 28.5K

Does this sound reasonable?

My budget is 25-30K

TIA!

justme

Shiny_Rock
In my humble nonexpert opinion your spending alot of money for a stone that probably won't sparkle and shine.

The stone is too deep and has a very large table.

You can spend your money much more wisely by educating yourself. Read the tutorial here on PS, check out goodoldgold for an excellent education.

You may not be able to get a stone as large for the money, but if you do your homework you'll get one you'll be proud of and will beat the socks off of the large but no life stones sold out there.

Here a couple of options that are ideal cut. Cut is the MOST important 'C' when choosing a diamond

Also I would buy a loose stone and then worry about the setting.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_203ct_g_vs1_h&a.htm

http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=409&Product_Subcategory_ID=3&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12324206/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Justme

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Actingwonder,

Yes, your diamond is too deep but the table is fine, not ideal, quite all right. The diamond will probably have a dark center and not much sparkle.
I would back up and try again. Keep the table under 60% and the depth needs to be about 60%. Also get the dealer to provide you with a Sarin or OGI with an AGS readout. The depth of a diamond breaks down into three parts, the pavilion depth which should be 43%, the crown height about 14 to 15%, and the girdle thickness about 1 to 3%. Also the higher the polish, the more sparkle you get.
With your budget, you can get a better cut diamond, don't get in a rush. The diamond may not be in LA but the world is much smaller now with the internet.
I would suggest a super ideal cut but you would have to give on the size and/or somewhere else to stay within your budget. Of course a super ideal is well worth the money.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
60/60 leaves a lot of room for error... Some diamonds with a 60/60 table and total depth combination will have an overall proportions rating of AGS-2 Very Good, but others can be as low as AGS-10 Very Poor! Yowza! What a gap! Focus on the crown angle and pavilion angle measurements because they control most of the light return, the table percentage will be in direct correlation with the crown angle and vice versa but the pavilion angle will be the one that controls most of the light return... Try to keep it within 40.5 - 40.9 degrees and you're likely to find a barnstormer of a rock! Play with the Holloway Cut Advisor located via the links at the top of any of the PS pages for an indication of what you might expect to see from the puppy you find...

"Lost in L.A." - who's not?

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
from the meas.of the stone it is bit on the heavy side , the depth of a nice stone should range from 59-62, and table should be between 53-60 , if you stay within these criterias, you are liable to get a nice stone.
Price wise I think you can do much better on the net!
I would drop in color to an H and go for a 3.24cts.at around 26,000.00 , h color mounts up real nice in platinum without showing any yellow!!

good luck

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results