shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost guy needs E-Ring help (what else is new)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TForce95

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Sorry this is a long post, but I have been lurking on PS for some time now, and I figure it’s time to ask the questions that need to be asked. It’s time to propose to my girlfriend, and I want to make sure I get the right ring for the job. Lucky for me she hasn’t been shy in telling me just what type of jewelry she likes, haha. While she does enjoy diamonds (what girl doesn’t), what she really likes are Pink Sapphires, Emeralds, and Tanzanites. And of course to show me the style she likes she shows me those stones in the Tiffany Legacy Collection setting. But, my GF also knows that those rings are just too expensive. Thanks to PS I’ve gotten some good information on how to get a Legacy-esque ring, without having to break the bank. But before buying anything I need to talk to someone for advice. So, that brings me to the forums.

Of the three gems, I really like Pink Sapphires for an E-Ring. I’ve never been a fan of green anything and feel Tanzanites are nice but too dark for an E-Ring. I’m looking for a clean stone, around 2.5 carats in size, with a good cut. We both like the square type of cut, so most of my search has been for a cushion cut stone, but a princess cut would work too. The three stones linked below are what I am looking at. I really like the shape and color of the NSC stone, but it’s the most expensive of the three by quite a bit, and I just don’t know if it’s worth the added cost. And they just recently raised the price on it. But the other 2 are much darker, and both are heat treated. Is the NSC stone worth the extra expense, or are one of the other two a better value? I’m still looking around at stones, so if anyone has a different vendor in mind, feel free to let me know. I just haven’t been able to find that big of a stone with too many vendors.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Pink/P2107/Cushion/stoneid=P2107
http://www.africagems.com/114987.html
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagespink2006/padc261-sm.html

As far as a setting goes, I have seen a lot of different settings that look like a Legacy ring (I believe it’s called a halo setting, right? I learned that here), so I have some options there. I might go with cheaper setting for the time being, and if she doesn''t like it we can always trade up later. The stone matters more to me. Personally, I prefer the prong style versus the more flush style (see examples below, from LOGR). I think the prong style makes the stone look a little bigger and shows it off more than it would if the stone were flush with the halo. Do the two different styles affect the color and look of the stone? I read here that the stones look darker once they are in a setting compared to when they are loose, and I’m just trying to get the most out of it.

Flush Style
Prong Style

So, with all that in mind, please give me any and all advice you can. Finding what I think she likes was easy. Getting these details figured out has been hard. Thank goodness I found PS. And thanks for the help!

P.S. I hope the links work!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say pink sapphire is a great choice. Sapphires are quite durable, making them good stones for daily wear. Tanzanites and emeralds, on the other hand, are on the soft side.

NSC stone- no offense.. but, yuck! The cut is quite poor. Not to mention expensive. Definitely PASS.

Africa gems- cut looks off too.

simply sapphires- better, but I am not super in love with the color myself.

I''ll do some searching and see what I can find- your budget will definitely allow something amazing!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I agree with icekid, sapphire would be a great choice because it comes in a variety of great colors and is durable enough for everyday wear.

For this project, I would consider contacting someone and tell them what you are looking for. Some of the best stones never make it online because they sell as soon as the jeweler gets it. There are a list of vendors on the top of this forum. Some recent vendors that have created some nice engagement rings that I can think of off the top of my head are Richard Wise, Wink Jones, and Jeff White

A few things to keep in mind
1) Color is key when looking for a colored stone, that is different from a diamond where cut the priority
2) While cut is second to color, you want to make sure the cut does not compromise the color. For example, a stone cut shallow will have an area of light leakage called a window. Look for a cut that gives an even tone to the color and allows for maximum brilliancy, (or sparkle)
3) If you buy online, always make sure there is a return policy. Sometimes colored stones just don''t like to show their true color for the camera
4) You need to decide if you want a heated stone or not. A stone that has been heated (with no other treatments) is acceptable (most of Tiffany''s stones are heated), and will cut costs significantly.

Hope this gets you started.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes, I agree with the others. That NSC doesn''t look very nice by the photo at all (but we all know photos can be very unrepresentative!).

I agree with Wink, JW and RW. I''ve had contact with all three and all would be good choices.

The stone below is currently on Richard Wise''s website. It''s smaller than what you want (and the profile shows it''s deep and kinda wonky with some boogers), but the color is nice and it''s untreated. Just a sample of what he has as I know it''s not the right shape for you. Anything over 2K will come with a cert for him. This stone is priced at 1680, so I''m hoping he could find something you want in your budget.

631_1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
About the same price as that NSC one, but this one is heated. 2.29 carat.

884_1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is she opposed to spinel? Because awhile back Wink had some Richard Homer concave spinel that looked awesome. I almost bought it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the Wink/Homer spinels. Not sure if they are still available, but it gives you an idea.

original.aspx
original.aspx

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is already set in a ring, but like you said, she could upgrade later. The ct weight and cut style are right, and it''s very pink :)

Ring

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I know it''s smaller than you want, it''s not cushion or technically all pink but OMG:
http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/SAP029.htm

I don''t know about your gf, but this would make me the happiest girl alive to own :) Chances are she''s never heard of a padparadscha sapphire, but they''re really something special and a treasure!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t choose tanzanite for an ering because it''s soft like the other said, although our girlfriend has good taste gems!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you don''t like green.....does she like pink?

mz

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:49:35 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Ok, I know it''s smaller than you want, it''s not cushion or technically all pink but OMG:
http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/SAP029.htm

I don''t know about your gf, but this would make me the happiest girl alive to own :) Chances are she''s never heard of a padparadscha sapphire, but they''re really something special and a treasure!
I bought that stone and returned it. It is a very pretty stone, but wasn''t for me. I felt it had lavender in it, which I didn''t want for my pad.

It is very sparkly. It faces up small because it is deep, but at 7mm, it isn''t tiny by any stretch of the imagination. For the right person, it would make a fab ring.

I''m actually surprised it''s still for sale. You can see it on my hand on the left pic. This was only one of a few photos I took that got it looking close to what it did in Jeff''s photo. The rest were more lavender, but are now pretty much gone because my computer crashed a month ago. If you buy this stone, I would get it certified.

padhandshotcomp3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 10:24:47 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Here are the Wink/Homer spinels. Not sure if they are still available, but it gives you an idea.

original.aspx
original.aspx
Great choice. Those look awesome: bright and saturated.

I would stay away from tanzanite and emeralds due to softness of the stone. They are not meant as an everday ring. A pink sapphire or spinel will stand up to regular wear and tear much better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thing to do is decide the colour, which you selected pink.
The next step is your budget, which will determine the size, quality and type of gemstone.
Are you aiming for a specific size and carat weight?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Those 3 you found, TForce95, seem a bit overpriced if you ask me. For a heated stone of that size I wouldn't pay more than about 1500$/ct, and the unheated one really doesen't have anything interesting about it IMO, except the fact that it's fairly large for an untreated pink sapphire. The more purple ones which are heated, can be bought from places like multicolour.com for about 300-400$/ct in those sizes. But in terms of beauty, it doesen't strike me as something special. Also, do you know which shades of pink she likes most - the bright "bubble gum" ones, or the more gentle, pastel ones? That might help you in the selection a bit. I have a feeling she would like a more vibrant shade since her two other options are brightly colored stones (emerald and tanzanite). When it comes to settings it's all a matter of preference, but generally, people prefer to put stones of lighter shades in prong settings, to allow the maximum of light inside and get the most brilliant stone possible.

TForce95

Rough_Rock
Wow. Thanks for all the great responses everybody. I appreciate all the help you are giving me. Like I said in the initial post, I liked the NSC stone, but the info you all have given me proved my feeling that it wasn’t worth the price. In terms of size and color though, I think it is very close to what my GF would like. She does not like round or oval shapes on rings, and a brighter pink is more preferable. As you might have guessed from the stones I had linked, I’ve got a fair amount of money to budget around, so that gives me some options. I just have trouble finding nice stones in larger (+2 cts) sizes.

I will definitely contact JW, RW and Wink, to see if they could help me out. I have seen their work here, and have always liked the stones I have seen from them. I’ve just don’t recall ever seeing a sapphire from them in the size I am looking for. But it never hurts to ask, right? I said before that my GF doesn’t like round stones, but the JW stone MakingtheGrade provided is stunning. I might have to subtly ask her just how much she doesn’t like round stones, to see if they are an option.

Regarding spinels, I’ve seen some very nice ones (here on PS mostly), but I just don’t know enough about them. In fact, before I found this website, I had never heard of them! And I doubt my GF has either. But I’ll do some more research on them, since they have been suggested here. That’s what the internet is for.

And I hadn’t even though about buying a ring with a nice stone in it already, then resetting the stone in the setting my GF likes. That gives me another avenue to look down.

So many good suggestions here, that I wish I had posted earlier. Ah well, the research continues! Thanks again.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this will make the search easier or harder for you, but you can get a round stone and put it in a setting that makes it more "square". For example, you could get a fishtail setting or a square halo etc.

Ring1
ring2

Some pics from PS (hope you guys don''t mind!)
ll1.jpg

beverley00.jpg

SSCN2384.JPG

mychoicesap1.JPG

greygreenpinks.jpg

RosemaryFingers40KB.jpg

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 9:26:21 PM
Author:TForce95
Hello all,

Sorry this is a long post, but I have been lurking on PS for some time now, and I figure it’s time to ask the questions that need to be asked. It’s time to propose to my girlfriend, and I want to make sure I get the right ring for the job. Lucky for me she hasn’t been shy in telling me just what type of jewelry she likes, haha. While she does enjoy diamonds (what girl doesn’t), what she really likes are Pink Sapphires, Emeralds, and Tanzanites. And of course to show me the style she likes she shows me those stones in the Tiffany Legacy Collection setting. But, my GF also knows that those rings are just too expensive. Thanks to PS I’ve gotten some good information on how to get a Legacy-esque ring, without having to break the bank. But before buying anything I need to talk to someone for advice. So, that brings me to the forums.

Of the three gems, I really like Pink Sapphires for an E-Ring. I’ve never been a fan of green anything and feel Tanzanites are nice but too dark for an E-Ring. I’m looking for a clean stone, around 2.5 carats in size, with a good cut. We both like the square type of cut, so most of my search has been for a cushion cut stone, but a princess cut would work too. The three stones linked below are what I am looking at. I really like the shape and color of the NSC stone, but it’s the most expensive of the three by quite a bit, and I just don’t know if it’s worth the added cost. And they just recently raised the price on it. But the other 2 are much darker, and both are heat treated. Is the NSC stone worth the extra expense, or are one of the other two a better value? I’m still looking around at stones, so if anyone has a different vendor in mind, feel free to let me know. I just haven’t been able to find that big of a stone with too many vendors.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Pink/P2107/Cushion/stoneid=P2107
http://www.africagems.com/114987.html
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagespink2006/padc261-sm.html

As far as a setting goes, I have seen a lot of different settings that look like a Legacy ring (I believe it’s called a halo setting, right? I learned that here), so I have some options there. I might go with cheaper setting for the time being, and if she doesn''t like it we can always trade up later. The stone matters more to me. Personally, I prefer the prong style versus the more flush style (see examples below, from LOGR). I think the prong style makes the stone look a little bigger and shows it off more than it would if the stone were flush with the halo. Do the two different styles affect the color and look of the stone? I read here that the stones look darker once they are in a setting compared to when they are loose, and I’m just trying to get the most out of it.

Flush Style
Prong Style

So, with all that in mind, please give me any and all advice you can. Finding what I think she likes was easy. Getting these details figured out has been hard. Thank goodness I found PS. And thanks for the help!

P.S. I hope the links work!
Cherrypicked also has beautiful gems and Richard Orbach is a pleasure to work with. I almost got my e-ring center stone from them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results