shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost GIA certificate, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
We have lost the GIA certificate to my diamond when we moved house. I know we had one as I remember looking at it but I cannot for the life of me find it now.
My husband said my stone was inscribed on the girdle so I took it to a local very reputable jeweler today to see if he could see it so I could get another certificate. He said my stone doesn't have a number. I nearly died with panic thinking my stone had been swapped back in the past during a cleaning or something awful. The jeweler said not all GIA stones are inscribed. I was pretty much hyperventilating at this point, I do remember my husband said he had the choice between 3 stones when he choose mine and maybe he has got mine confused with one of the others that was inscribed or maybe the person he bought it off lied I don't know.
Anyway I know my diamond is meant to be an IF and I asked the jeweler today if he could see anything, was it my stone. He said it's so perfect he thought it was a fake at first but he can tell by the sharpness of the cut that it's real. He said it was better than 99% of diamonds he sees and he is pretty sure it is what I think it is, it's just not inscribed.
My questions are this.. why is a stone the quality of mine not inscribed. When did inscribing begin as this was bought back in 2011 maybe they didn't do it as often back then? I am worried as to why my husband thinks it is, when it isn't. The main question is how on earth do I get its GIA certificate now. If I loose this ring or heaven forbid it is stolen I am in deep water I guess for ever getting it back. I can't remember all the details on it. I know it's an IF and colorless and I know it is around 2ct but no idea on the actual size. It's not like I can say 'this is my diamond it's sort of this and sort of that, find it'. I wish we had been more careful in the move but now I just want the certificate for my stone. Any advice?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Inscribing is an extra fee. Not all jewelers opt for it. Did you insure it-- I uploaded a copy of my GIA cert with my insurance company and they'd be able to provide me with my GIA cert #.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry.
I do not belive GIA provides any replacement lab report.
http://www.gia.edu/gia-faq-analysis-grading-replace-lost-stolen-damaged-report
If you can some how find the GIA report number you download a pdf version from the website.
Maybe go back to the original dealer and see if they have any record of your purchase and diamond.

Other option is to send the stone to GIA and have it re graded.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
This is a picture of it.

20160909_1.jpg

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
No we didn't insure it. My husband said for the cost of the premium he would rather self insure it ( we self insure nearly everything unless we have to). Gosh that is really sucky, I had better get searching again and hope it turns up. I suppose even if it did go missing without an inscription, how can they tie it to the original paperwork anyway?! Yes I know who we got it off, we could go back to them but it was 5 years ago, would they even remember. It is worth a shot I guess. Thank you.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
They can tie it based on inclusions.. but if your diamond is an IF... then I suppose they wouldn't be able to as there would be no inclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results