shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost and Found - my Minty

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally, we had a good day, so here are some photos made in a good day and a bad day. Please do not judge me or the stone, I was afraid that it will disappear again so I did not remove the lid on the box, so most of these photos are through the glass/plastic. Which takes away off the beauty or the sparkle of the stone, but in my mind, all stories about me losing the stone in a box, a dog eating a ring, a stone being lost in the grass during photography... well, you'll understand.

garnetspinel3.jpg

garnetspinel4.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as you may notice, the garnet has a window, which seems to be common for heart-shaped stones. The stone is large, so to a degree, it does not matter, there is still enough saturated material around it, but I think it will close in a setting. It shows more in pictures than in real life. Otherwise, no problems. It is large, very clean and glows. Like any mint, it has a certain degree of yellow, which is more obvious in bright sunlight, but again, it is more noticeable in pictures.

mint2.jpg

mint5.jpg

mint6.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is more saturated, which would be seen had I left more green pictures, but I wanted to capture its bluish color, so I left only the ones where blue is obviously seen.

inthetree1.jpg

inthetree3.jpg

inthetree5.jpg

inthetree6.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not even want to look at the invoice when I lost the stone but I remember per carat price so I assume the stone is about 5.2 ct. sorry need to search for the invoice now. The spinels which are in the same box are Mahenges, old material, 1 ct. each. Just pink, but with good fluorescence so they look pretty nice.

mintgarnetspinel3.jpg

mintingrass1.jpg

mintingrass2.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more... I tried to cut off the spinels... I made the mistake of using my Droid camera -it obviously favors pinks.

mint8.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "black spots" are not inclusions - the stone is eye-clean - again, the technique of making photos with big magnification is not good for this one. I shall use another camera next time.

I am also using an opportunity to add a photo of my favorite Mahenge, which, alas, is small, 1.64 ct. This one fluoresces like mad, and looks very bright in any light. I bought if off Odysseygems' website in good old times when Mahenges were cheap... :lol:

smallmahenge1.jpg

smallmahenge2.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Hurray! Where did you find it!?!?!?!

It's beautiful, are you going to keep it or gift it. I've never seen one close to that size except in swala's office when they let me handle a 15ct tsav. That was so dark, yours is purrfect. The spinels are amazing too!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally gorgeous. I'm not normally into heart shapes, but could overlook it for that beauty! And yeah, those spinels are "pretty nice", in a TDF kinda way. :love: Too bad Athenaworth and I weren't around in those "good old Mahenge days". ;(

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beauty, Crasru, lovely minty saturated color. When you find something that large & good, shape is immaterial, you grab it! I don't think the window will be a problem either.

The spinels put my eyes right out!!! Talk about saturation. :love:

--- Laurie

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
My eyes !!! My eyes !!!!

Those stones are just stunningly gorgeous ~ How I love them !!!! :love: :love: :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones Crasru, I just love them. :love:

What are the specs on the Mahenge pair? They're so neon and saturated. What are the specs on the mint? I think you mentioned six carats or so? I forget.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Kelpie, I know you see so many things in Tanzania, thank you for the compliment.

Thank you, NKTOB - really, I have not seen the times when Mahenges were "really" cheap, but at least they were affordable... These ones I initially bought as side stones, but then I thought, side stones to what? So now I plan to make dangling earrings with them. And I am not into heart shapes at all, but my current philosophy is, when you see a stone that you like, at the price you like, you grab the stone and run! Later, at home, you'll ask yourself, "what are my plans for it?" Heart shapes are not great, they often have windows, but on the other hand, extinction may not be so much of an issue with hearts or trilliants as it is with ovals, marquises, or pears.

JewelFreak - thank you! You are kind and gracious, as always...

ooo~Shiney! Thank you! Your eyes have seen many beautiful things... do you think your friend Little Gemologist Ant will crawl up to these spinels? Unlikely, since he has seen your... :lol:

TL - God knows what the specs are! I was so upset, assumed that the stone was lost, so naturally I moved the invoice from "gems" invoices to another group (no, this time I know where it is, it is just sorting through them takes time). I assume it is around 5.2 ct. Definitely less than 6 ct. I shall check the invoices for the spinels. I know one was 1.02 ct. and they are a pair, so they should be of similar weight.

I am looking for a piece of advice, though. The window as such does not faze me, but naturally, it would be nice if it could be closed. I suspect that yellow gold will make the stone look yellowish, which it is not at this point. Do you think WG will be fine? Or will the stone pale in it? Is this the situation that calls for red gold? Any other kind of gold?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My minty heart garnet has a small window too, but it closed up in a setting. I would go rose gold, based on my experience, as it really brings out the blue in these stones.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you finally got some photos for us of the "one that got away" They are all beautiful!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - thank you for your advice! I shall go for rose gold then! I wish I could recycle two heavy rings made of rose gold, but I do not know if they do it here...

Bright Ice - the big one got away. Since some people give names to their stones, I shall name mine "Le Vagabond". I feel it is a "he". The spinels are definitely "girls".

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you found it. Your gemstones are gorgeous.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely garnet and spinels. That minty sparkle just brightens up my day!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm so glad minty reappeared and is now suitably restrained!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Yay!! I'm soooo glad you were about to find your gemstone. As one recently in a similar situation, I understand just how heart sickening it is to believe you've lost a stone you adore. The color of your heart is STUNNING! That, in addition to the size, is going to make your piece a real show stopper....

I'm going to second TL's suggestion that you set this one in rose gold. Rose gold really tends to make green pop, especially mint green.

Good luck!!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Don't let Minty get away from you again, Crasru, because that is one beautiful stone!

Rose gold will be fantastic.

And those spinels are amazing. Those will make spectacular earrings!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Marcy, Mariedtiger, Movie Zombie and Coco914. For your kind words and advices.
Now I am thinking of setting it in a pendant, it is too large for a ring and pendants usually do not walk away. Any ideas, advice, names of jewelers will be welcomed. I was thinking of maybe setting it in a halo of pink diamonds but I do not know if irradiated pink diamonds look more bright pink than natural ones or not. These spinels are too saturated for the stone but perhaps irradiated diamond will look OK? I shall be thankful for any ideas.

Thank you, Aoife.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad you found your stone crasru. It is so beautiful it would have been awful for it to never be seen again.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi herekittykitty! Thank you for your kind words. Now that we both found our lost stones/rings, it sounds funny, but I remember our posts being next to each other...

T

talamasca

Oooo, it's lovely :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your mint garnet is gorgeous and I can see why you were so heartbroken! The blue is beautiful and I can see the sparkle and luster. All your stones in the pictures are so well saturated that my eyes hurt, but it's worth it. Those Mahenges truly deserve the famous name of Mahenge spinel. :love: I'd save them for sidestones in a ring although I'm sure they'll be equally wonderful as earrings. Why should someone else admire them on your ears when you should be able to admire them ALL day, everyday on your finger?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Your minty is absolutely beautiful, I can't wait to see how you set it! And your mahenges are to die for :love: :love: :love: They are blinding!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those gems are just a pleasure to look at. Beautiful!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great loot! I could wear that stone in a heartbeat...no pun intended..... :devil:

cheers--Sharon

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Talamasca !

Dear Chrono, please, treat your eyes gently. You have the most blinding stones to see every day, and many of us depend on your sharp eyes and your honest opinions. I can keep spinels as side stones and wait for a central stone to come my way.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, stargurl78, for your kind words!
Thank you, LisaRN. One day I hope to know more about the mystery of that stone in your avatar...
Thank you, Canuk-gal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results