shape
carat
color
clarity

Loss of Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sharonberg

Rough_Rock
On Monday morning, I noticed that the diamond in my engagement ring (14 yrs) was gone. I called the insurance company, but the insurance does not cover "mysterious loss".I will say right now that I am not a jewelry person or know that much about gems. Other than an emerald ring that my husband gave me for our 5th anniversary, my wedding band and diamond ring are the only jewelery type items that are valuable. I did not take as good of care of the ring as I should have, I was afraid that the stone would be switched or something. At this point I am thinking that lost is worse that switched. Anyway, I have gone through the tutorial on this site, but my confidence level is still a bit low. I would like to replace it with a diamond that is as close the the orginigal as possible. I found the original "information" that my husband received when he bought the ring from Zales Jewelers. There is not much to go on, but I will enter what the sales person wrote and maybe someone here could help me out. So, here goes...1/2 ctr diamond sol., 14K w/g WH/HI. My husband bought the ring in 1986. the ring was originally priced at $1350.00, but he bought in on sale for 1012.50.Unfortunately, our finances are such that we can't spend any more than about $1350.00. I will have to get the ring fixed as one of the prongs is bent. So, I will have to figure that into the cost also. Thanks in Advance,
Sharon B.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Did you have jewelry insurance or just part of home owners insurance that allows some x dollars for jewelry. If you have jewelry insurance, it sucks if you lost the stone, and insurance does not cover.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
That was funny rodentman!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
If you do a search at www.pricescope.com, you will see diamonds for sale in your price range. There are some hearts and arrows diamonds that are in your range. They are likely to be even better cut than the diamond you owned. The beauty is in the cut. Check out the tutorial on this site.Where are you located? We may have a good jeweler to recommend. At Zales, you will pay more for diamonds that are likely to be less well cut than what you can find on the internet or in a good brick and mortar store.As far as insurance on your next ring goes, I would recommend www.chubb.com. Chubb sometimes costs more (it depends on where you live) but if you lose your stone/ring, they will simply cut you a check so you can replace your diamond/ring with a stone of your choice. Jewelers Mutual is probably the next best choice and is offered through many brick and mortar stores. They work with your jeweler to replace your stone with one that is similar. I hope this is a good beginning for you.
smile.gif

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mysterious loss? Typical insurance loophole. As though losses are not mysterious. If you knew where and how you lost it, it would not then be mysterious. Nonsense!The Rodentman

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Typical insurance loophole, "mysterious loss." As though it were not mysterious, like you planned it. That is crapola.The Rodentman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results