shape
carat
color
clarity

Los Angeles Vendors Love The Idealscope!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
So, my boyfriend and I went out on a stone / setting scouting trip today. The first place we went was XIV Carats in Beverly Hills, mostly with an eye toward looking at settings. They have a HUGE selection of settings there. They pulled out one stone to show us, a 1.79 GIA H SI1 ex/ex that was nice enough, and I asked to view it under my idealscope. The guy who we were working with had never seen one, but used mine on the stone and was extremely excited about it. He asked to take it to the back with him for a minute, where he presumably showed the store bosses, and when he came back, he said "Yep, we''re definitely getting some of these!" So that was fun.

The second place we went, for stones was European Jewelry Company in the diamond district. When I busted it out there, the guy said "I can''t believe you have one of those, that''s what I use to buy all of my stones with!" He had the expert model and I had the consumer model, but right away he said to me and my boyfriend "If you have one of those and you learn how to use it, that''s all you need." He had a white tray thing with an open bottom that let light through (not a light tray, but a stand with holes for the culets so you could line up lots of diamonds and move the scope from stone to stone. So we finally had a good way to sit the stone so it''s at a straight angle with a consistent light source. He educated my boyfriend about what to look for, with a branded H&A cut with excellent light return vs a stone that had above average light return, but was leaking a little around the table and edges, and my boyfriend finally got it. But, more importantly, both my boyfriend and I easily picked out the naked eye difference between the two stones. He said "Yep, that one is by far more sparkly, from every angle" re: the H&A stone.

So, now I feel totally comfortable with him taking it from here! (Especially if he goes with this vendor, which I hope he does, but even with a different vendor I think he''ll be alright) We got to line up 7 stones in my range of specs, everything from branded H&A''s to EGL "Ideal Plus" designation, to Gia Ex/Ex''s to an EGL stone that wasn''t designated ideal cut but that he still said was well proportioned. We did a blind test, and I picked out one of the branded H&A''s as a clear favorite. There were two stones I didn''t care for too much, one was a GIA ex/ex and one was the EGL stone that wasn''t designated ideal cut. Everything else looked pretty much the same. The branded H&A I picked out was the smallest of the bunch at 1.59, but also an E color vs a G or H which most of the others were. Maybe that had something to do with it, which is weird, because I couldn''t consciously tell a difference in the two side by side, but there was just something I liked more about that one vs even a larger G colored stone of the same H&A brand that looked equally good under the equipment.

I couldn''t see any inclusions with my naked eye in either of the SI2 stones I looked at, and I think this is the way to go for us. The vendor said that he steers people away from SI2''s only because once people see them under the loupe, it usually becomes a "mind clean vs. eye clean" issue - but, he said if I see it under magnification and I''m alright with it, it''s definitely the way to go. I said, or I can just choose not to look at it under magnification! But I really don''t think it would bother me if it wasn''t visible to the naked eye, or even if it was once you knew where to look, but wasn''t readily visible. It''s just not a huge issue to me.

The guy we talked to was super honest on all fronts, and basically confirmed everything I ever learned on pricescope. He said - EGL LA is reliable these days, whereas EGL Europe and Israel aren''t (their brand of H&A are EGL certed because they provide H&A pics on their certs and are cheaper to certify than GIA), he said EGL and AGS provide more cut info on their certs, but that doesn''t mean that the stones are actually cut any better than GIA stones, just that you have more written info about it, but just compare stones side by side and trust your eyes and the idealscope image, he said H&A was really just a marketing gimmick and that the stones just kind of happen to look that way if the symmetry is perfect enough and someone decided to capitalize on it, but really light return is the most important thing to look for rather than H&A per se, he said H was the lowest he recommended his customers go in color, but a great cut masks color and clarity, etc etc.

I just wanted to report back that there ARE good vendors in LA who will educate you about cut quality (people seem to have had a hard time in the past) and that the vendors I visited either are already familiar with the Ideal Scope or are very open to it. I was kind of afraid people wouldn''t like me using it or would just think it was weird that I had it, but it was very well received!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
you know, i can see Garry''s head expanding from here!
1.gif

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I know. But because the other day I was posting about how it was harder to use than I''d thought, and my bf wouldn''t really be able to use it on his own, I thought it would be only fair to post the update.

Also, so many people had posted about local vendors not being receptive to it, I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe the tides are turning.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Aye tis good to know times are achanging.

Like many of us said, a little practice and its easy to master... like riding a bike... the tricky bit is being able to hold the diamond right to view it... after that its just learning to interpret what you are seeing.

Over this side of the pond the IS is virtually unheard of... and in the couple of places iv pulled an IS out, have had good responses... from a sales girl who was fasinated to have someone who knew the little i knew about diamonds and have a IS and loupe to look at a stone... to give her more of an insight into what she was selling that her training had... (tho in typical English polietness i had to bite my tounge on explaining how that big white patch under the table was actually rather bad for cut performance)

While the other chap in another store was keen to find out where he could get one for his own business.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That''s great to hear, Katrina. The first time I used mine at a gem show well over a year ago, I got some negative vibes from vendors. I think they did not like that potential customers who saw me use it were interested in my handy gadget. I had quite a few people ask me how to get one. I''ve had more positive experiences since then, so I think things are changing.

DiamondLil

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Wow! You had the ideal Pricescope day! So many people don''t. It''s great that you went the way we, in hindsight and hoping for an ideal world, tell people to go. You educated yourselves, you got an ideal scope to verify what you found, you trusted your eyes as you looked at different stones, and then, you had the dealers treat you with respect and honest! How much better can it get
9.gif

Congratulations, and good luck with the rest of the process.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katrina
sounds like you had alot of fun with the I-scope.i haven't took mine to a mall or b/m store yet.i think i would get a good laugh at those mall cut stones.

Rock Music

Rough_Rock
Garry, you crack me up. :)

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
It was funny, because the diamond vendor was trying to find us an example of a very well cut stone vs a more average kind of cut with light leaking around the table just to educate my boyfriend about the difference in appearance under the scope. He went through a bunch himself in a search for a contrasting example, and said it was hard to find one, because he uses the IS to buy his stones, most of his inventory looks great under it. He finally found one that was kind of between "very good" and "good" on the IS reference chart in that there was a clear ring of lighter pink around the table for my boyfriend to see as an example. There was a BIG difference between this stone and the other to both of our naked eyes. So we wouldn''t have *had* to use the IS to make a decision between these two stones at all, but let''s say we were at a vendor with crazy halogen lights (this guys office was just normal flourescent office lighting) that was showing us / him all "good but not great" kind of stones. There might be no clear winner of the bunch, and under the lights we might conclude that they''re all great performers, so it would be nice to have the IS just to really get to the bottom of it and have some confirmation of what you''re looking at.

It was so cool to see everything I''ve learned on PS really come to life. I''ve spent a lot of time wandering around the diamond district looking at loose stones in their little plastic packages in windows, so I had some ideas, but it is a different story to have 7 stones lined up in front of you and be able to really examine them. From the real life differences between an E color and an H (like I said, I couldn''t really pin point and call the E "whiter" but I liked that stone the best of all) to seeing some EGL SI3''s in person (they all had really easily visible inclusions, but the ones I saw were white and off to the side - still big old eye visible inclusions, but I guess of the best variety), to picking a branded H&A cut out of a blind line up, and being able to pick the only stone that wasn''t ideal cut out as well, to seeing a shallow cut 2 carat (said non ideal cut stone) face up noticeably bigger next to an ideal cut 2 carat but still look really drab by comparison....

Very cool experience!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That''s exciting to hear Katrina. One point inparticular interested me about your post which correllate to what people see when we show these as well. Not all IS picked diamonds appear the same, you were able to distinguish ones which you had more of a preference towards.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too funny Garry!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
With escalating frequency high end dealers are becoming aware of - and using - Sarin reports, proportions evaluation and reflector devices such as firescope/ideal-scope in-house. These things may not all be out in the open (unless you walk into a GOG or a NiceIce), but the savvy dealer knows to bring this data out when an educated consumer begins asking key questions.

For now you will only see these things in play if they help the vendor move some portion of inventory. Those with a preponderance of stock that would suffer under such scrutiny do not quickly embrace these items, and if they know what the ideal-scope is they may even ask you not to use it in their store (this has happened in more than one situation).

Pricescope and similar forums are having a noticeable impact. Consumers are becoming more educated. It won't happen overnight, but eventually dealers who resist the use of measuring and viewing devices like Sarin/Helium and ideal-scope/ASET will find their customer base shrinking.

The best thing going for any B&M is the fact that the eyes still have it over all. Still, it's only sensible that when the eyes AND the science are in agreement buyers have more confidence.

PS: Garry... GROSS!!!

Rock Music

Rough_Rock
I scoped it out and determined that Garry's head was not an ideal cut.

The image is not ALL red.

I see lots of white light leaking though.
28.gif

I think AGS would only rate Garry's head fair.
Perhaps EGL would give it a good.
20.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2005 1:16:28 PM
Author: Rock Music
You will notice Garry''s head was not an ideal cut.

The explosion is not all red.

I see lots of white light leaking though.
28.gif

I think AGS would rate Gary''s head only a fair, or perhaps a good.
Agreed. And don''t even start on the symmetry!
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Eeeewwww, Garry! Still, congratulations. Good looks, good reputation, good beer--I think your life is complete!

LOL Rock Music.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
TOO funny!!!!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I want an ideal scope now Daddy! These Los Angeles Jewerly stores know nothing I say, NOTHING!!!
They also have no Marquise cuts within Dave's parameters!
emotion-39.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2005 6:54:41 PM
Author: Kimberly
I want an ideal scope now Daddy! These Los Angeles Jewerly stores know nothing I say, NOTHING!!!

They also have no Marquise cuts within Dave''s parameters!
emotion-39.gif

LOL! Why do I suddenly have an urge for a Wonka Bar now??

Kimberly...I might be able to give you a recommendation for a jeweler in Irvine, if you are interested...they have a satellite office (appt only) in LA, but I would recommend going to the Irvine office....PM me if you want all the info...

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
You must mean Liberty diamonds. I spoke to a guy there. At the moment he has nothing that fufills Dave''s chart as 1a and I am married to the numbers. I had the perfect stone from Diamonds on the web and lost it to another hungry Marquise fan.
A lesson to all- DON"T STALL WHEN U FIND A GREAT ROCK!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/17/2005 12:58:35 PM
Author: Kimberly
You must mean Liberty diamonds.
A lesson to all- DON''T STALL WHEN U FIND A GREAT ROCK!

Kimberly...yes I do mean Liberty...

I totally agree by your statement of "Don''t Stall..." Liberty had my perfect EC and even though it was a little more than what I was expecting to pay (not much), it was such a great stone that I couldn''t pass it up!! I knew if I tried to find something comparable, it would be a long search!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you had a great experience! I have been to two jewlery stores recently that used H&A veiwers to try and educate me about cut...I never show my cards too early. Hudson Poole in Tuscaloosa Alabama and Cornells Jewlers in Rochester New York. Both were very nice and helpful. I am hoping to get my mounting from one of these two stores.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results