shape
carat
color
clarity

Los Angeles Ring Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking of going down to LA later this week to see Ari at Singlestone. I was wondering if there were other places folks could recommend to visit while I'm down there. Unfortunately I'll probably have to go down on Saturday since I have work all week. (That's if Ari is around then)

I saw 23rd Street Jewelers website and their stuff is gorgeous. Probably out of my price range but amazing! I am leaning towards going with some sort of vintage OEC cut type ring hence the visit to singlestone. Any other recommendations would be great. Is the visit to 23rd street worth it? Anywhere else I should go? Let me add that I if I buy a loose stone it will be online or it will be an older stone through someone like singlestone. (I'm going with the idea here that stones online are cheaper
1.gif
) I'm really only looking for a setting and I have to see them in person before I pick one.

I'm only planning a day trip and don't want to wear my boyfriend out with visits to tons of places, particularly since we live up in Northern California and probably won't be going back and forth to ring shop.

Thanks!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
23rd sales people are nice and most of their styles are that look you prefer. they are very happy to work with you if you bring in your own stone. The problem is that they are probably more expensive than what you can find via other recommended PS setters. ALso note their store in Santa monica is about 40 minute drive from downtown and LA jewelry district.

If places are open on Sat? (I would call and make appointments!!!) you will see there are shops that have very similar looks to 23rd st. I have several friends who bought stones and/or had engagment rings made by this other shop downtown. you should look them up too because very nice married couple and very honest as far as I know.

John and Tammy Borugian (They are married. I would work with John for pricing, Tammy to help you pick styles)
L.J. Jewelry
625 S. Hill St. #126
LA, CA 90014
(213) 622-6892

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I just found this on another post--- looks vintage styles AND in La jewelry district if you look at address at bottom.

SINGLESTONE.jpg

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info. That''s actually why i''m driving down to LA on saturday. To go to singlestone. I was wondering if there might be anywhere else to go. I may just skip 23rd street then if it''s too pricey. I''d hate to fall in love with anything and not be able to get it.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Duh- i just read the first line again... going to singleton!

I do not know their prices downtown- I bet if you ask them they have heard of 23rd. the thing is 23rd does NOT do their jewelry on site. I think this means they have people (probably located downtown) who make all their pieces. So going to 23rd is just paying extra to the middle man!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
violet, i''d also recommend that you go visit Ari''s other shop in Pasadena...He has a stand alone boutique there so even though he has alot to see in the downtown boutique, there''s more at the other place and it''s a short drive from his downtown place. Might as well see all that he''s got, right?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think they have an inventory of antique stones, but I was really impressed with the settings at peter norman in brentwood on san vicente and shane''s in westwood on broxton. Their salespeople also seemed more knowledgeable than most in LA. Peter norman is really expensive, but shane''s was very reasonable.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 7:46:22 PM
Author: surfgirl
violet, i''d also recommend that you go visit Ari''s other shop in Pasadena...He has a stand alone boutique there so even though he has alot to see in the downtown boutique, there''s more at the other place and it''s a short drive from his downtown place. Might as well see all that he''s got, right?
Definitely. I''m working on setting up an appointment with him for the end of the month. I''ll have him direct me to wherever is best to meet up at. He''s a great guy to work with via the phone and email so far so I''m pretty happy going in this direction for awhile. He was also pleased to hear about the glowing reviews he''s gotten on pricescope.
1.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Okay so I have a couple of weeks until I can get down to LA to look at rings. That''s probably way too long because now I''m wavering on how much I want a ring at singlestone or not. I''m mesmerized by the rings on the 23rd street jewerly page. Their settings ARE expensive though, the two that I really liked were 5k each. But Tina who I spoke to said that they start at $2500-3k. Now I''m not sure what to do... do I go there first then to Ari''s or vice versa or am I wasting my time?

Argh! I wish I wasn''t so picky!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
i hate to say this because I am no expert- I have not been to singlestone, but the folks at 23rd and peter norman are very nice.

Map quest your day...

If you have the time... i would go to 23rd first to see their settings. Peter norman also has lots of antique settings and you can get to his place from 23rd in less than 15 minutes. i do not know where that other place mentioned in Westwood. i would END your day of viewing pleasure with ARi and I bet you will find many SIMILAR settings. plus by then you will have a better idea of what you want, prices, and see if Ari can do best $.

I do not remeber if you are getting diamond online- but I was told at 23rd it is cheaper if you bring your own diamond to them versus having them outsource.

It seems like if you don't at least LOOK at 23rd- you will second guess yourself. I found peter norman rings to feel more "antique" than 23rd for some reason- they have similar stuff. I am not sure if it is actually 'Peter"- but the gentleman from South Africa with the accent at peter Normans is very attentive and informative.

good luck! can not wait to hear how it goes!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 9:29:46 PM
Author: Green with Envy
i hate to say this because I am no expert- I have not been to singlestone, but the folks at 23rd and peter norman are very nice.

Map quest your day...

If you have the time... i would go to 23rd first to see their settings. Peter norman also has lots of antique settings and you can get to his place from 23rd in less than 15 minutes. i do not know where that other place mentioned in Westwood. i would END your day of viewing pleasure with ARi and I bet you will find many SIMILAR settings. plus by then you will have a better idea of what you want, prices, and see if Ari can do best $.

I do not remeber if you are getting diamond online- but I was told at 23rd it is cheaper if you bring your own diamond to them versus having them outsource.

It seems like if you don''t at least LOOK at 23rd- you will second guess yourself. I found peter norman rings to feel more ''antique'' than 23rd for some reason- they have similar stuff. I am not sure if it is actually ''Peter''- but the gentleman from South Africa with the accent at peter Normans is very attentive and informative.

good luck! can not wait to hear how it goes!
Thanks this is incredibly helpful! Ari wants us to come by as early as possible (before 2 or so). I will try to get to LA at the crack of dawn on Friday and see if I can get those two places out first before Ari. I like the order of where to visit though that makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results