shape
carat
color
clarity

Los Angeles Jewelry District

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pastaeater

Rough_Rock
Can anyone out there recommend a good diamond broker in the LA jewelry district?
thanks

scott

Complements of Dr. Know Little Diamond's Best Buy at the Los Angeles Diamond District.

Cheers!

JB Newman JeBroadway Jewelry Plaza
606 South Broadway Los Angeles, CA
213-622-8484

Capri Jewelry
601 S. Hill St. Los Angeles, CA
213-627-0459

Esperanza Jewelry
600 S. Broadway Los Angeles, CA
213-622-7321

King's Jewelry and Loan
800 S. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles, CA
213-383-5555

Oscar's Design Jewelry
550 S. Hill St. #725 Los Angeles, CA
213-622-1200

Pearl Center
550 S. Hill St. 1st Floor Los Angeles
213-833-1780

Silver Discount Store
600 S. Broadway Los Angles, CA
213-622-7296

Single Stone
550 S. Hill St. 1st Floor Los Angeles, CA
213-891-7177

Newbie333

Rough_Rock
Hey...

How come no one tells you to run for cover in the LA diamond district, like they do regarding the NY diamond district????

Is LA (unlike NY) an honest and civil place to do diamond business???

-NB

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I used to shop in the LA jewelery district a lot, and after the fact, learned that some of the pieces I got are good quality and some are not what they were represented to be. I don't think the LA district is any different than NY. You have to be careful, and have a way to know that what you are buying is really what they say it is and the price is appropriate.

There are some good quality merchants there, but without references, it can be hard to know who they are. I believe you are better off shopping online at the various vendors listed on this board because most come highly recommended, their prices and quality of stones are good, and you can typically save the sales tax as an added bonus
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Like Hoorray said, make sure you've done your homework before shopping at the LA Diamond District, and protect yourself by having the stone checked out by an independent appraiser. We've shopped at Ely's before multiple times and don't find them as straightforward and honest as this first time poster did. I'd say we had mixed results at best, knowing what we know now about both the purchased items and what constitutes quality and value. We were sold some less than stellar goods more than once, back in our nocive jewelry days....

moolman

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Do a search for my username, I just bought my engagement ring in Downtown LA too, this was after looking online and shopping all around LA. I seriously went to at least 20 jewelry shops in downtown LA. I had a week off of work and I was there 3 days straight all day. So I''ve been to all the jewelers listed above and then more.

First off, all jewelers are somewhat shady and try to not give you all the info you need, basically it''s need to know basis. Like a used car salesman, if you don''t ask the condition of the brake pads, they won''t tell you.

I found a jeweler that sold the designer Verragio setting that I wanted and then had him show me what he thought was a really well cut diamond, I got the sarin and then I had the diamond appraised by Charles Carmona in downtown LA before purchase and after purchase when it was set.

Looking at the sarin/megascope and having it appraised, which cost $90 total is the best you can do. If you want to be sure for 100% you are getting a real good cut then you can buy online but you do pay a premium. I think I saved about a good $2000 with my setting over the internet dealers for my diamond which had good sarin numbers and the appraiser swore that it was as shiny, brillant as any internet diamond he''s seen and he''s seen a good amount of them sent to him for appraisal.

You can PM me if you want a recommendation because I don''t want to give free advertisement for those jewelers that don''t pay to sponser this forum.

But in general in downtown, just get the sarin, get the appraisal, get a good price on the setting, you''re good to go.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
You can do a search on my user name for my story. I bought my e-ring in the LA jewelery district too.

It can be overwhelming. Most of the places are kinda shady IMO. I ended up going to Oscar''s Design Jewelry. Very low pressure. Almost like he doesn''t care. He gets an insane amount of repeat business though. I felt very comfortable with him.

afitzhugh

Rough_Rock
has anyone ever dealt with Bhindi Jewelers?

moolman

Rough_Rock
Hey is Bhindi Jewelers the one on Pioneer in Artesia/Cerritos. If it is I went there, they''re selection of diamonds were crap, not very good but obviously they can get you whatever from downtown. Down the street from there across from the America Tire Co is Highglow Jewelers. I went there and the owner Raj found me some awesome diamonds, he was my 2nd choice, the megascope reading were excellent, his service was very good and the prices were very fair, no BS, he gave me a good price compared to the downtown LA jewelers. I was going to buy a 1.19 VS2 G from him with perfect specs and it look brillant, perfect H&A but last minute I decided to get a 1.3 and he couldn''t find one for me in time, so I bought somewhere else but the service was so good I had to mention him here, notice I don''t mention the jeweler that I actually bought my diamond from but I mention him, that''s how exceptional I feel the service was. You can tell him that you are looking for the same type of quality diamonds that alex looking for the verragio setting was looking at. He was also I think the only jeweler that talked about cut quality with me. He went through the megascope reading and showed me examples of other stones that were out of spec and gave me a straight answer about the cut.

jings

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 3:29:58 PM
Author: moolman
Hi,
Do a search for my username, I just bought my engagement ring in Downtown LA too, this was after looking online and shopping all around LA. I seriously went to at least 20 jewelry shops in downtown LA. I had a week off of work and I was there 3 days straight all day. So I''ve been to all the jewelers listed above and then more.

First off, all jewelers are somewhat shady and try to not give you all the info you need, basically it''s need to know basis. Like a used car salesman, if you don''t ask the condition of the brake pads, they won''t tell you.

I found a jeweler that sold the designer Verragio setting that I wanted and then had him show me what he thought was a really well cut diamond, I got the sarin and then I had the diamond appraised by Charles Carmona in downtown LA before purchase and after purchase when it was set.

Looking at the sarin/megascope and having it appraised, which cost $90 total is the best you can do. If you want to be sure for 100% you are getting a real good cut then you can buy online but you do pay a premium. I think I saved about a good $2000 with my setting over the internet dealers for my diamond which had good sarin numbers and the appraiser swore that it was as shiny, brillant as any internet diamond he''s seen and he''s seen a good amount of them sent to him for appraisal.

You can PM me if you want a recommendation because I don''t want to give free advertisement for those jewelers that don''t pay to sponser this forum.

But in general in downtown, just get the sarin, get the appraisal, get a good price on the setting, you''re good to go.
Hi, Moolman,

I am going to buy the diamond ring. Could you recommen the best place to buy in LA Jewelery distirct? Thanks a lot!

Jing

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
My first diamond came from the LA diamond district. I would not do it again. I was sold an uncerted stone, and was not given much info, let alone I also was not informed at the time.
I felt as though I was amongst, used car salesmen, with each trying to vie for a sale. I am sure there are knowledegable dealers down there but why bother when I have pricescope viewers who are well read about diamonds, and vendors who have made hundreds if not thousands of buyers happy who value a well cut stone, and know what to look for?

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
My family has been buying from a jewel in the Downtown LA market for several years. He''s been great to us, is competitively priced, and they have certified stones.

Grady G. Taylor Jewelry
631 South Olive Street, Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90014

(213) 485-1444

Ask for Stuart Simpson, he''s really knowledgable and will take his time and explain things to you.

Good luck.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
We also bought my recent upgrade from a jeweler in the LAJD. My stone is GIA certified and I got a great deal on my setting, which has since been appraised and even the appraiser couldn''t believe how much i got it for!!!!

OhMzLed

Rough_Rock
Thank you Dr. Know
I visited Oscar''s Design Jewelry today. Actually dealt with Oscar . . . he''s amazing. Took my Dad, to get a gift for my Mom, left very happy. I will go to no other place, but to see Oscar!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results