shape
carat
color
clarity

loose stones vs solitaire setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

om5200

Rough_Rock
I bought a diamond of 0.801ct, D colour, VVS1, AGS0 Ideal cut, pointed and inert. My initial intention was to set it on a ring. However, many jewelers advised to keep it as a loose stone as setting it could possibly damage the surface during the mounting process. Furtheremore, they iterated that the stone may be damnaged during daily usage( Note :I plan to use the ring daily). Are both of these points true? They also indicated that by setting the diamond onto a ring could potentially reduce its value by 20-30%. Please comment.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
This is nonsense. It is always possible that a diamond, if knocked just the right way, can be damaged. This is one reason for insurance. Set the diamond and enjoy it! It's true that damage can happen during setting, but it isn't all that common. The value of the diamond will not change because it is mounted in a ring.

Find a competent jeweler to set the stone. See if his or her insurance will cover replacement cost if damage occurs during setting. Are you in the United States? Perhaps we can recommend someone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results