shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose stone display? Or boxes?

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, Do you have a way to display your stones? Or maybe little boxes? I have so many loose colored stones, some I want to set... some I’d love to just see because they are beautiful and I love them, but they aren’t doing me any good wrapped up in paper and cotton... the reality is if I display them, I’d probably think to set them at at least enjoy my collection. I’m thinking maybe I’ll not keep purchasing if I see how much beauty I already have :mrgreen2:. Or so I hope???? This “problem” was noticed when I was attempting to photograph some I thought I’d sell... now I don’t want to sell them, but should really stop buying o_O.

Any thoughts while I have an intervention with myself are greatly appreciated!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I have mine in gem jars in a viewing box with a glass top. The toddler loves to admire them and it seems to be helping him learn his colors (he's particularly fond of the blue topazes and loves to point at them and shout "BOOOOO" (he can't manage the L in blue just yet).

voce

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I would benefit from an answer to the question posed here, as well. I found myself narrowing it down to three options for loose gems, then unable to decide between them.

A: economical choice (fits 50 round jars)

B: zipper pouch display (fits 28 square 3x3 jars)

C: more formal display (fits 30 square 3x3 jars)

Anyone want to chime in to pro/cons? Like, what would be the best dimensions for the display tray?

I’m thinking maybe I’ll not keep purchasing if I see how much beauty I already have :mrgreen2:. Or so I hope???? This “problem” was noticed when I was attempting to photograph some I thought I’d sell... now I don’t want to sell them, but should really stop buying o_O.
That's kind of along the lines of what I've been hoping, but when there is a great deal to be had and gorgeous pictures, my credit cards enable me to hoard even more.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I have mine in gem jars in a viewing box with a glass top. The toddler loves to admire them and it seems to be helping him learn his colors (he's particularly fond of the blue topazes and loves to point at them and shout "BOOOOO" (he can't manage the L in blue just yet).
I love this! My kids are older now, but still love to look at them too =)2

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I feel like I would benefit from an answer to the question posed here, as well. I found myself narrowing it down to three options for loose gems, then unable to decide between them.

Anyone want to chime in to pro/cons? Like, what would be the best dimensions for the display tray?

That's kind of along the lines of what I've been hoping, but when there is a great deal to be had and gorgeous pictures, my credit cards enable me to hoard even more.

Thank you!!! I love the formal display, but may go with the bag... such excellent options!

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
@voce my son collects coins, so exciting to see the coins in the larger one too! Thank you for the options!

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the little square plastic gem jars. They are VERY affordable (got mine on Amazon) and do a good job of protecting my stones while allowing me to enjoy them.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I just took these pictures now (evening) - not great shots but you will get the idea

6C3A0735-AFD0-4481-BF64-CF5BFEB2CC85.jpeg E25E9486-AD39-4B9B-A9BC-4370419970EB.jpeg F45D5514-B785-472B-B24D-89B4394BE13F.jpeg 8FAA5B4B-17A6-4848-90E7-4C8AAA5BEAE1.jpeg
.... the reality is if I display them, I’d probably think to set them at at least enjoy my collection. I’m thinking maybe I’ll not keep purchasing if I see how much beauty I already have :mrgreen2:. Or so I hope???? This “problem” was noticed when I was attempting to photograph some I thought I’d sell... now I don’t want to sell them, but should really stop buying o_O.

Any thoughts while I have an intervention with myself are greatly appreciated!

My husband got tired of me leaving Gem boxes around the house, especially windowsills, and bought me a cheap set of drawers from eBay: 5 drawers with 50 jars each. He was shocked when I needed a second one. Despite not liking the look of the drawers, organizing has transformed my experience with my collection. I labeled each jar with gem, origin and vendor. I can easily put 5 trays on the table (or bed) at once. I realized I have too much of some gems with that info I spent much less at the latest gem show (NY, NJ show in Edison, NJ) I’m focusing on what I’ll set and what I may try to sell. I even brought a tray to work a few times just to look at them. Some Pics are above. Edited to correct typo

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I just took these pictures now (evening) - not great shots but you will get the idea

6C3A0735-AFD0-4481-BF64-CF5BFEB2CC85.jpeg E25E9486-AD39-4B9B-A9BC-4370419970EB.jpeg F45D5514-B785-472B-B24D-89B4394BE13F.jpeg 8FAA5B4B-17A6-4848-90E7-4C8AAA5BEAE1.jpeg

My husband got tired of me leaving Gem boxes around the house, especially windowsills, and bought me a cheap set of drawers from eBay: 5 drawers with 50 jars each. He was shocked when I needed a second one. Despite not liking the look of the drawers, organizing has transformed my experience with my collection. I labeled each jar with gem, origin and vendor. I can easily put 5 trays on the table (or bed) at once. I realized I have too much of some gems with that info I spent much less at the latest gem show (NY, NJ show in Edison, NJ) I’m focusing on what I’ll set and what I may try to sell. I even brought a tray to work a few times just to look at them. Some Pics are above. Edited to correct typo

These are so fantastic!!! Thank you so much! I think it will be great to enjoy them.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock

Omg if I got one of these I would be tempted to fill all the jars :lol:

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone prefer round or square jars? Or have a jar style preference =)2

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

Can I be adopted by you? :lol-2:

voce

Ideal_Rock

Omg, so many loose gems!:love::love::love::love:
I'm afraid to get what you have. It'll be way too tempting to fill it up with all colours of the rainbow.
Edit: my current solution is to set my gems whenever I have too many stones. But that'll only work if I still have room in my jewelry box.:lol-2:

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
:bigsmile:T

Anyone want to chime in to pro/cons? Like, what would be the best dimensions for the display tray? .

Voce - your zipper pouch and more formal display both appear to use the glass topped square boxes. Since these boxes are flat on top and the transparent surface is glass, there is minimal distortion and everything looks great

The economical option “con” is the jars are plastic and rounded and I had to clean all the tops before using them because the foam can leave a light coating of foam particles on the lids. Also some foam pieces are a bit deformed but can be coaxed back into place. The Pro is that it is economical so I used for jars for more than gems. I also put in crystals and other rough or specimen pieces. I may look for a more elegant solutionsfor a curated selection of the gems

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
:loopy:
Omg, so many loose gems!:love::love::love::love:
I'm afraid to get what you have. It'll be way too tempting to fill it up with all colours of the rainbow.
Edit: my current solution is to set my gems whenever I have too many stones. But that'll only work if I still have room in my jewelry box.:lol-2:

Most of my gems are small and inexpensive. But all are pretty to look at. For example a have a amethyst from 4 peaks and an amethyst from Jackson’s crossroads and another from Uruguay. I like to know what mine they are from and seek to avoid any treatments except heat in some cases. I couldn’t fill half a tray with my fine, largish precision cut pieces.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
:bigsmile:T

Voce - your zipper pouch and more formal display both appear to use the glass topped square boxes. Since these boxes are flat on top and the transparent surface is glass, there is minimal distortion and everything looks great

The economical option “con” is the jars are plastic and rounded and I had to clean all the tops before using them because the foam can leave a light coating of foam particles on the lids. Also some foam pieces are a bit deformed but can be coaxed back into place. The Pro is that it is economical so I used for jars for more than gems. I also put in crystals and other rough or specimen pieces. I may look for a more elegant solutionsfor a curated selection of the gems

I decided on the zipper pouch it seemed like the way to go and fits in the safe. :mrgreen2: Thank you! Hopefully now that I’m not accumulating stones I’ll set some :kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
:loopy:

Most of my gems are small and inexpensive. But all are pretty to look at. For example a have a amethyst from 4 peaks and an amethyst from Jackson’s crossroads and another from Uruguay. I like to know what mine they are from and seek to avoid any treatments except heat in some cases. I couldn’t fill half a tray with my fine, largish precision cut pieces.
Now I'm wondering if I should keep some of my gemstones unset on purpose, just so I can have a sample of each origin. I have bought lavender spinel from Burma, Vietnam, and Tanzania, and blue sapphires from Burma, Ceylon, Thailand and Madagascar. Should I be looking for blue sapphires from Montana and Australia to round out my collection? :eek2: that would be prohibitively expensive, since I mostly buy unheated sapphires. I'd better not :confused2:.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plastic gem jars are the best, because they’re safer for softer stones. I also like these, where the gem dangles in mid air. I use these for my bigger more important gems. They sell them at Jtv. Yes, that’s one item I like from that company. Since the only thing touching the stone is a piece of what looks like very durable, taut plastic wrap, it’s super safe for soft gems. The outside of the case is hard plastic. The other nice thing is that you can look at all sides of the gem without taking it out. They take very large gems depending on the size of the box you get. Here are a couple nine carat gems.
CE69E1AA-443D-4090-9F40-71FD202DD687.jpeg

8A5C2A1E-D948-496A-963F-F6917EE4C8C4.jpeg

They come in their own gem box sleeve that holds these gem jars.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow I love that gem drawer!!

This thread made me think of @Bron357 who I’m sure has something special. I recall seeing some Lalique fishes once upon a time...?

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Plastic gem jars are the best, because they’re safer for softer stones
Thanks TL. I forgot about these gem holders. I received one when I bought something from the Gemstone Project. It’s an excellent option

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I love that gem drawer!!

This thread made me think of @Bron357 who I’m sure has something special. I recall seeing some Lalique fishes once upon a time...?

I remember that. Wasn’t it an aquarium with the Lalique fish and gems scattered around them.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the white square plastic jars with glass lids mentioned above. Seem to be the most sturdy and secure (stay closed). I personally prefer the 4x4cm size to the more common 3x3cm size because they're easier to handle for people with large hands (aka me :mrgreen:), but both are excellent choices.

Just be careful when you open them. Use a dime or the back side of a tweezers inserted into the notches on the sides to gently pry the top off while holding your hand over the top. If you just try to yank the top off with your hands, the gem will go flying across the room haha.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wouldn’t use glass lids on stones softer than a 7 in hardness.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wouldn’t use glass lids on stones softer than a 7 in hardness.

True. I don't own any stones softer than quartz, so it's not an issue for me. If you're a mineral collector, then the plastic jars would be better.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. I don't own any stones softer than quartz, so it's not an issue for me. If you're a mineral collector, then the plastic jars would be better.
Or gems like tanzanite.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Or gems like tanzanite.

That's why I would never own a Tanzanite. Unfortunately, while they are extremely beautiful, they have poor durability and are thus unsuitable for anything other than staring at in a (plastic) gem jar.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I would never own a Tanzanite. Unfortunately, while they are extremely beautiful, they have poor durability and are thus unsuitable for anything other than staring at in a (plastic) gem jar.
:lol: Well they have their fans. I really wish I could wear my sphalerite, but it sits in a gem jar. I have a tanzanite ring I haven’t worn in almost three decades, because of what you said.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the white square plastic jars with glass lids mentioned above. Seem to be the most sturdy and secure (stay closed). I personally prefer the 4x4cm size to the more common 3x3cm size because they're easier to handle for people with large hands (aka me :mrgreen:), but both are excellent choices.

Just be careful when you open them. Use a dime or the back side of a tweezers inserted into the notches on the sides to gently pry the top off while holding your hand over the top. If you just try to yank the top off with your hands, the gem will go flying across the room haha.

Or open them upside down.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I first started out, I used the round plastic jars. These do scratch up easily, and the top tend to pop off, especially after you open them a few times. I would end up taping them shut. I now use the white gem square gem jars with glass lids. Glass is only a hardness of 5.5 so it couldn’t scratch any gem type I commonly cut, plus you would need to expose the gem to the edge of the glass to try to search with it. A gem table agains a flat glass is not going to scratch the stone. (Tanzanite is a hardness of 6 to 6.5, so glass can not scratch it)

Here’s a trick for putting the stone in the jar. Turn them gem jar lid upside down on your table. Place the stone table side down on the center of the glass lid, then insert the base with the foam backing into the lid. Now you have the stone nicely centered and flat in the jar.

As someone else pointed out, always use something to pry the jar open or else if you just try to pull the top off, the stone will go flying out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results