shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Stone Collections

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Opallover

Rough_Rock
If anyone has one of these how do you catalog and get appraisals for insurance purposes? I find that my loose stone collection is getting very large, with over 100 loose stones, mainly black opal. A few amethysts, a london blue topaz, a few cat''s eyes, a couple peridot, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2006 12:56:50 PM
Author:Opallover
how do you catalog and get appraisals for insurance purposes?
Linda
For insurance, adding a rider to your present homeowner''s policy is probably the best way. If you''re in the gem business and have a large inventory, contact Jewelers'' Mutual Insurance Co. (I''m assuming you''re in the U.S.)

For insurance appraisals contact PriceScoper Richard Sherwood or check the Yellow Pages for jewelry appraisers in your own community.

Richard M.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
I probably have more than 250 stones now (see my avatar and this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/part-of-my-collection.32274/ ), and I think it is prohibitively costly to appraise and insure the vast majority of them. I rely on an alarm system, dogs and safes to secure them and have gotten insurance (apart from my general homeowners policy) only for the very expensive major gems, particularly those that will be worn. (I have set several of my larger diamonds, etc., to be used as family heirloom pieces.)

Would love to see your black opals. I hope to add to my very small collection of them soon.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can''t talk about such an extensive collection and not show any of it!
3.gif

please?
20.gif

Opallover

Rough_Rock
It''s not that extensive and I don''t know how well they will photograph, but I will do my best. My package of 75 black opals came in last week and really boosted my collection. I still have opals coming to me from Australia, and I don''t know how well they will photograph to get the nice flash, but I will try to do my best and post my collection.

Opallover

Rough_Rock
GemKlctr

WOW!!
30.gif
Beautiful Collection!!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 2:13:01 PM
Author: Opallover
GemKlctr

WOW!!
30.gif
Beautiful Collection!!
Thanks. I''m looking forward to seeing yours.

Let us know what you decide to do about insurance. I''d like to know if you or others think it makes sense for the casual collector. BTY, I do recommend keeping photos of your entire collection for insurance and crime report purposes.

Opallover

Rough_Rock
OK. I tried to photograph my collection last night and did not do a very good job. BUT I do have pictures of some of my mosst recent acquisitions that I can post when I get home tonight if I can find the time (two children!). I would do it here but I cannot access photobucket from work.

On a sad note: A jeweler told me that I need to stop wearing my black opal ring that my husband gave me 12 years ago. He told me that the prongs were weak and that I could lose my stone easily. Maybe I will just replace the stone with one of my other stones.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Opallover...I can''t wait to see your pictures!
3.gif

.... A jeweler told me that I need to stop wearing my black opal ring that my husband gave me 12 years ago. He told me that the prongs were weak and that I could lose my stone easily. Maybe I will just replace the stone with one of my other stones.
I don''t understand this...couldn''t you just have the prongs repaired/beefed up?

widget

Opallover

Rough_Rock
Yes, I could do this, but I need to wait until I have the $200 that it would require to fix and polish the stone and the ring.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results