shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose stone, B&M setting, insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jetski

Rough_Rock
Hello! After a near miss shopping for an e-ring with a local B&M jewelery store, I found pricescope.com and learned a _ton_ about buying diamonds. I ended up purchasing a loose stone (from whiteflash.com) and am going to have it set into a setting that I found at a local store.

I''m halfway through the process and have so far had a great experience. I now want to make sure the rest of the process goes as well. I''m having the independent appraisal done on Monday and are going to have it set the same day. Since I''m having the local store set an online purchased stone, how concerned do I need to be about damage to the stone? The store is reputable and is pretty well known in the area. Like others, they don''t cover anything that wasn''t bought from them.

How about insurance? I''ve also seen here that insurance only covers set rings. Is there any way to cover the setting process or do I just hope that I''m not the one that has bad luck?

It''s a 1 ct. brilliant round with a thin - medium girdle, so I''d think it would be a lower risk. I''d just hate for something to blow what has so far gone very well.

Ideas? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jetski,

It seems that some people have insured loose stones and some have found it difficult to do so. Maybe because there is a risk during the setting process.

May I ask why you did not have Witeflash set the diamond? Did your local jeweler make the setting for you? I have no experience with Whiteflash, but I know a lot of the online vendors will set their stones in settings from other vendors. I would think they would do this as well. I purchased a custom setting from one B&M and the diamond from another. I had the store that I purchased the diamond from set the stone, and they had no problem with that. Sometimes I think finding the setting is harder than finding the stone!
sick.gif

Jetski

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/24/2004 4:32:57 PM icelady wrote:

Hi Jetski,

It seems that some people have insured loose stones and some have found it difficult to do so. Maybe because there is a risk during the setting process.

May I ask why you did not have Witeflash set the diamond? Did your local jeweler make the setting for you?
----------------

Good question. In retrospect.. I probably should have done that. The problem was that I wanted a Vatche' x-prong, and we'd be cutting it _very_ close with the engagement date and it's probably now too late. It didn't leave any room for error if I didn't like the stone, etc. The local store had it in stock.

The other issue is that of sizing. I'm doing this as a total surprise and don't have have a clue on sizing. It would certainly be easier to have it done locally.

----------------
I have no experience with Whiteflash, but I know a lot of the online vendors will set their stones in settings from other vendors. I would think they would do this as well. I purchased a custom setting from one B&M and the diamond from another. I had the store that I purchased the diamond from set the stone, and they had no problem with that. Sometimes I think finding the setting is harder than finding the stone!
sick.gif

----------------

Interesting idea.. diamonBob? Unfortunately, I think they send 'em to Vatche' for setting - with the same leadtime problems. If I send you the setting will you set the stone you sold me? Is there any guarantee on breakage during the setting?

Thanks!
Jetski.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results