shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose sapphires for engagement ring

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
Hello and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.

I'm putting together a three-stone engagement ring and decided to purchase loose stones and have a jeweler place them into a custom setting. I have the center stone and want to use two sapphires as the side stones. I would like them to be ~.45 carats each (or about 4.5 mm across), dark blue, and round.

I searched some old threads and got great leads regarding online vendors, but now I have hit a few snags. First, not many vendors have the paired sapphires to begin with and even fewer in the size and cut that I need. Second, I'm not sure how close in size the stones need to be to appear identical. And third, prices seem to vary wildly without reason.

For the first problem, I assume that's just the nature of the beast. But would it be feasible to look for individual stones to create a pair myself? The difficulty seems to be in matching color. Or am I better off sticking to the online vendors?

For the second problem, I assume diameter and depth are more important than actual carat size in terms of matching, correct? Should I ignore differences of .05 carats or so if the other measurements are the same? (On a related note, how can two stones have the same length, width, and depth but different carat sizes?)

And for the third problem, I'll give an example. I can't understand why these two sapphires (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-62414-round-blue-sapphire-pair-pr1875-b/) are twice as much as a pair of the following sapphires https://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-blue-round-sapphire-4.5mm-.40-.45-cts.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh man. let me tell you, it can be a difficult task. i was looking for sapphires your size when i was shopping for my mother. It can be difficult to find really ideal colored stones in that size, as why cut them small and perfect when you could not, and get more $$ lol

to your point about ctw, dont even look at that. gemstones are not cut to "ideal standards" as a rule, like diamonds are, so yes, two sapphires with the same face up size can easily have different CW.

My best advise was to find Johannes Ostradius on Facebook, hes a vendor people have used here will success, but doesnt have a good website, to my understanding. He helped me when searching for my mothers stones, and i think he would be able to help you with yours.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot|1479158292|4098415 said:
And for the third problem, I'll give an example. I can't understand why these two sapphires (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-62414-round-blue-sapphire-pair-pr1875-b/) are twice as much as a pair of the following sapphires https://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-blue-round-sapphire-4.5mm-.40-.45-cts.

Firstly they are different colors - it looks to me like the Simply Sapphire pair has more grey, which will reduce the price. Secondly, different vendors. NSC usually has higher prices and Simply Sapphire usually has lower prices.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely look up Orstadius and see where he takes me.

I get the color making a difference in terms of value or cost, but it seems so subjective since there is no grading system that I am aware of. I think I prefer the first pair I linked. Other than possibly being a tad overpriced, does that set look like a suitable pair for my purposes? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any obvious aspect.

Again, thanks for the info.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot|1479161244|4098459 said:
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely look up Orstadius and see where he takes me.

I get the color making a difference in terms of value or cost, but it seems so subjective since there is no grading system that I am aware of. I think I prefer the first pair I linked. Other than possibly being a tad overpriced, does that set look like a suitable pair for my purposes? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any obvious aspect.

Again, thanks for the info.

Actually there is a grading system -- and I believe vendors pay money every year for a subscription of gemeWizard (software) or a guide that tells them how to price based on colour grading ect. Actually sometimes they will leave the grading for the consumer to see (little labels like vB 5/6). But I think the recomendations so far are great :wavey: . I might also check out cecile raley designs etsy shop, she sells a lot of small stones.

Eddited to add that as a consumer you can also get your stones colour graded by sending them to a lab ( but it is expensive :) )

http://www.preciousgemstones.com/UnderstandingPrestigeGem Report.HTML

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the replies and advice.

I'm not having trouble with sources anymore (especially after all the recommendations!), but I'm still finding it difficult to compare the different options, apples to apples. :wall:

Does it basically come down to personal preference (in terms of color) if the size is right?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show us photos of your options, and show us your ideal color , or "what you're going for" and we'd be happy to help narrow it down. Are you just looking for as close to "trade ideal" as you can get. Just generic "perfect blue sapphire"??

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a picture of the center stone? I would try to get stones that match the center stone. If I had my pick I would simply send that stone to Wink and have him put the rest together. He put together a beautiful 3 (then 4) stone grandchild pendant for my mom, with beautiful stones. Highly recommend.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
Niel|1479223759|4098804 said:
Show us photos of your options, and show us your ideal color , or "what you're going for" and we'd be happy to help narrow it down. Are you just looking for as close to "trade ideal" as you can get. Just generic "perfect blue sapphire"??

I think your post highlights just how much I don't know!

I'm not sure of the difference between "trade ideal" and "perfect blue sapphire."

I think she'd like the blues that don't tend to violet or other hues, so maybe that's what you mean by perfect blue. I'm sure I'm limited by price range which is probably about $2,000 for the pair absolute maximum and would have to be justified by being blown away compared to the ones I'm finding at $800-1000.

Personally, I think every single sapphire linked in this thread is pretty, but when I look at color charts I prefer the cornflower (surprise) with medium to lighter tones and vivid saturation.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
part gypsy|1479227098|4098826 said:
Do you have a picture of the center stone? I would try to get stones that match the center stone. If I had my pick I would simply send that stone to Wink and have him put the rest together. He put together a beautiful 3 (then 4) stone grandchild pendant for my mom, with beautiful stones. Highly recommend.

I've already gotten in touch with Wink, who is contacting his source for calibrated gems. And he did mention putting it all together for me, which I would definitely consider.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot|1479229088|4098845 said:
part gypsy|1479227098|4098826 said:

I've already gotten in touch with Wink, who is contacting his source for calibrated gems. And he did mention putting it all together for me, which I would definitely consider.

can you post a photo you find online of what you think the perfect blue is?

also, do you already have the diamond? either way, wink is great and would be a great place to get everything put together

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
I really love those too. To my eye, those look "true" blue (maybe they tend slightly toward violet?) and I like the depth of the color. So that could be an example of what I like (and think she would like), but I think I'd be happy with a wide range of tone as long as the actual color was still blue and the saturation was vivid.

A lighter one I like for reference: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...Wy-rmlhV71qy1b3pgL5hg7VS93xAGKBUBj7jyYsCAJcPu

A darker one: http://www.mineralminers.com/images/sapphire-blue/gems/ceylon-blue-sapphire-gemstone.jpg

Would anyone be able to guess how the pair from gemrite would grade in terms of clarity? I've gotten some quotes through the sources suggested here, and for AA I'm looking at about $1,300 for the pair. For AAA, it's around $2,100. More specifically, what is it about the gemrite pair that makes them so much cheaper?

Edit: I haven't heard back from Wink after our initial convo. I've got the center ready to go though.

Johannes is getting me some photos and quotes as is a local dealer. The etsy lady (Yvonne) just sold the only pair that matched what I was looking for, but said she may be able to find some more. I think I'm getting closer thanks to all the helpful responses here. :wavey:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You are definitely right in regards to the most important aspect regarding matching the size,would be the diameter of the gems. If you go by weight, many factors can have an influence on the weight such as a high or low crown,deep or shallow pavilion. These will all change the weight so definitely go by stone diameter to match. Good luck with your search.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to contact John at Gemrite to put these on hold if you like them..........they are beautiful and seemingly priced appropriately---in case someone else see's this thread and decides they want them!!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Rough_Rock
digdeep|1479336410|4099460 said:
You might want to contact John at Gemrite to put these on hold if you like them..........they are beautiful and seemingly priced appropriately---in case someone else see's this thread and decides they want them!!

Aw, I'd feel bad doing that. :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot|1479397915|4099778 said:
digdeep|1479336410|4099460 said:

Aw, I'd feel bad doing that. :(sad

It seems more common for stone that are publicly recommended here to be snatched up. The reasons are myriad but just letting you know. Wink found me a pair of trade ideal and well matched blue sapphires for my 3 stone ring at a very reasonable price. I cannot recommend him more highly.

_38603.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results