shape
carat
color
clarity

loose prongs???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I am really bummed out about my engagement ring. Yesterday as I was reading this forum about different type of prong settings, I was looking at my ring and as I was trying to remove a smudge, I thought I felt the stone move a little bit. I asked my husband if he thought the prongs were loose and he told me to shake it and if I hear a click then it is loose. So I did and sure enough the prongs must be loose. I had the ering for 5 years and I never took notice of this problem until now. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place I can take my ring to get the prongs tightened. I live in NYC so the diamond district is really close by but I really don''t have a clue to where to go and who to ask for and how much it would be for the service. Any suggestions or recommedations are much appreciated.

IMG_0465 (Medium).JPG

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
another pic

IMG_0470 (Medium) (2).JPG

ellchris

Rough_Rock
Hi Emmy,
I''m in the city as well and I''ve used Greenwhich Jewelers a few times
with good results.
They''re downtown on Trinity Place between Rector and Thames Street.
Not sure if you''re closer to midtown but if it''s not a hassle, I would check
them out.
Good Luck,
elle

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
pic

IMG_0471 (Medium) (2).JPG

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
last one

IMG_0472 (Medium) (2).JPG

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Can you have the ring serviced where you got it? That is what I would prefer.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Five years is much too long to go between ring checkups. It''s best to take your ring to a jewelers every six months or so to check if the prongs are loose to avoid any potential disasters. I''m sorry, but I can''t recommend a local jeweler though.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t recommend anyone either but your ring is gorgeous!
9.gif

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
jazmine, I wish I could take the ring to the vendor but my husband had purchased it from Bluenile. Thank you all for your input. Now I know that you should get the ring checked often...but I wish I knew where to go....

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL ring!!

Prongs can get snagged on things and become loose. Not an origional flaw. Just get it fixed. You do have insurance don''t you? If not you might want to get it appraised and insured and that person can recommend a jeweler close to you.

HTH

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 1:50:06 PM
Author: emmy_nyc
jazmine, I wish I could take the ring to the vendor but my husband had purchased it from Bluenile. Thank you all for your input. Now I know that you should get the ring checked often...but I wish I knew where to go....
By going to another jeweler, will you be voiding any type of warranty with BN? I got my e-ring from Whiteflash and I would send it back, even for a prong tightening. With WF, (don't know if it is the case with BN) by allowing someone else to work on the setting you are voiding the lifetime warranty.

I would contact BN to be sure.

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
Hi Jazmine, I don''t think BN has a lifetime warranty.
emsad.gif
I wish they did... I am still searching for someone to take the ring to. I was wondering what is the process in figuring out the prongs are loose and how do they tighten it?

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
update:

My friend recommended a place on 47th st. I would highly recommend them. They fixed my prongs right away and I am so happy that I could wear my ring again. The ring setter said that even though my prongs were a little loose, my diamond would not have fallen out. But still I could not think of wearing the ring with loose prongs. I am just glad that this issue was solved.
36.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Most jewelers do this kind of work and it’s worth your trouble to find one that is convenient for you and that suits your style of shopping. Any jeweler with sense will be thrilled to have your business and will have no worries that you bought it elsewhere.

You should have it done soon and you should stop wearing the ring in the meantime. When the stone moves in the setting, it causes the diamond to rub against the inside of the prongs. Diamonds are hard, gold is soft. This wears out the prongs from the inside out and the problem can get worse quickly.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results