shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Prong, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am having trouble breathing right now b/c I just noticed a loose prong on my ering. It doesn''t look bent but just slightly raise where it should touch the facet.

I got the idea to check them out w/ a loupe after reading the "6-prongs-how are they set?" thread, and denverappraiser''s response about how the prongs should be set (very big thank you for posting that info btw!!!)

Anyhow, I am panicking b/c I have only had this ring for 4 months (to the day, tomorrow!) and am wondering if the setting may not be secure enough for me. It''s funny b/c just last night I had a dream that I was at Leon Mege''s and getting a three stone bezel set ring, with pave halo around the bezels....wacky, i know.

My question is, would a bezel setting be more secure than a six prong? I prefer very simple, delicate and classic settings, not any halos (don''t know why I was dreaming about one...) any suggestions for a bezel setting that''s not clunky that WF could set for me?

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Here''s a pic of my ring:

WF ACA 0.83 I SI2

RingPic070407.JPG

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The mechanics of bezel setting is really about the same. There is a seat cut that holds the bottom and the metal is bent down over the top to hold it onto the seat. If the prongs are up a bit it increases the chances of you snagging things with them, it collects dirt and grunge underneath as you wear it and it’s the beginning of a loose stone. For a 6 prong setting you really need to have at least 3 of the up before the stone gets loose. That said, my recollection is that WF has a pretty good warranty for this sort of thing and I recommend you call them up and ask for advice on how to proceed. This sort of thing is quite common and it's normally a very simple repair.

6 prongs are plenty for a secure mounting. So are 4 for that matter. Buy a bezel if you want one but it won’t help with the security. (The best thing for that is to buy insurance. That won’t make it any safer either, but it’ll make it someone else’s problem.)

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICAG(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your insight, Neil.

I just gave a big sigh of relief b/c I spent the last hour trying to find a dainty bezel without a halo, not possible! I'm glad that the 6 prongs should be sturdy enough, but I have whacked my ring a gazillion times so I'll just have to be more careful
21.gif

Since I'm sending it back to WF (most likely) should I ask FI for a setting upgrade? The CAD $ is so strong right now too...
31.gif

In my search I found this ring which, even though it is halo, I am in
30.gif
Just thought I would share my findings!

Thanks again Neil!

ritani gorgeous bezel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results