shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose or set from online merchant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nmarconiur

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

If I am getting a rb diamond set in plat 4 prong simple setting from JA, would you recommend getting the diamond loose for appraisal before having it set? Also, any advice on how the heck I can get her ring size without asking her?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 2:41:06 PM
Author:nmarconiur
Hi everyone,

If I am getting a rb diamond set in plat 4 prong simple setting from JA, would you recommend getting the diamond loose for appraisal before having it set? Also, any advice on how the heck I can get her ring size without asking her?
It depends on your comfort level whether you would like to get an appraisal, you could have the loose diamond sent to you, get it appraised then return it to JA for setting. Then once the ring is completed you could get the appraiser to inspect and value the completed ring which is useful for insurance purposes. Alternatively you could have the diamond set then have it appraised as mounting permits.

Ring size, that can be tricky, can you ask a close friend or family member what her size is? If not it depends on the type of setting whether it can be resized easily, a simple solitaire shouldn''t be a problem, a more ornate type setting might be less straightforward.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With trusted vendors, you can be a little more liberal with your due diligence. Not saying that you shouldn''t get it appraised, but you can accurately check that the diamond is what is stated by the cert even when set, by measuring and comparing it to the certificate. I would order the ring set and save yourself some hassle. In terms of ordering the right size there are a few options. When I was working with a client in a similar situation, We collaborated with one of her friends to try to get a measurement. They could go shopping together and get sized accurately without ruining the surprise. You could also guess based on her hand size, and just order a stock size and take a chance. 6 is a fairly average size for young women. If shes smaller or larger than that adjust up or down. Erring slightly large would be best though, just to make sure she can get it on. A close friend of hers might be able to help you with more accuracy though, just depends how discreet you want to be.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer set. It can be appraised when set. I don''t think grading is a problem, either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results