shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose IGI CVD stones listed on Amazon

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Hi PSers,

I know that the market is starting to blow up with new vend for MMDs. I searched Amazon on a lark for loose stones and found a bunch, with IGI certs listed. They’re not tiny, either... 1- 1.5 carat and higher. Do you think they’re real or counterfeit?

IGI Certified 1.76 Carat Round Lab Grown Diamond with I Color & VS2 Clarity

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is interesting!

I guess Amazon is a sales platform like any other sales platform, so there's no reason MMD (or even Mined diamonds) couldn't be sold on there.

I would want to see actual pictures and videos and also the actual grading reports listed before I went that route, I think - there are too many VS2s I've seen online that I would (personally) call SI1, and then there are potential issues with 'stria' and graining weirdness that sometimes seems to occur.

There's also brown/pink/grey/blue undertones that might be present, which is not necessarily bad but one needs to buy in full awareness.

I'm not convinced some of the feedback on that vendor is genuine, though - it's a bit too 'descriptive' of how 'great' the company is and what they do/offer... lol

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m guessing real because the price is way above lightbox.

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
It's nigh impossible to fake a GIA/AGS/IGI/GCAL cert, as you can easily see the cert number on the diamond with 20x or greater magnification, then you can look up that number in a publicly available database.

Then check the dimensions with a micrometer and weight with a scale and compare the clarity map with the actual diamond for glaring differences.

Bottom line, it's trivial for a competent member of the trade to verify a diamond is as advertised.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking Lightbox are real for a lower price so I doubt they are CZ at the price they were selling for.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds are sold ‘per carat’, and smaller stones are cheaper than larger ones. A two-carat stone is more than twice the price of an otherwise similar 1 carat one. The database here doesn’t include lab stones and I don’t think I’m allowed to send you to one that does, but Google it and I bet you can find one.

Lightbox sells ungraded but fairly good stones for $900/ct (It depends on how you value the mandatory $100 settings). Mostly they top out at a little below a carat (they don’t sell loose diamonds and they say in their advertising that ‘1 carat’ in a mounting can be as light as 0.96). That’s as big as they go. OK, so check out the competition. $900/ct for ungraded stones is decently aggressive, but not crazy so. Below half a carat, which is most of what they sell, it's not even all that aggressive. It’s a little hard online to buy uncerted stones from the big houses, but etsy and eBay are full of them. With GCAL or IGI lab paperwork, 0.96-1.00 stones start at about $1200 at the mainstream diamond dealers who carry them. Given that the lab fees are themselves over $100, this makes them all pretty competitive in terms of price. Again, lightbox won't sell a 1.76 or anything like it so it's not really a fair comparison. $4Kish seems to be a good place to start expectations in that range at the moment.

fdc89

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a 1.68 round Ideal cut from Vrai for $2550.

Hi would you mind show your ring here or give me link to another topic where it has been shown, I'm really interested. Thank you!

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Hi would you mind show your ring here or give me link to another topic where it has been shown, I'm really interested. Thank you!

Here is the PS thread. That’s the price for the loose diamond, not the setting.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a 1.6 H VS2 for $2175. Here’s the link:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results