shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose diamonds in downtown Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am helping a close friend of mine shop for an engagement ring for his girlfriend. We are planning on looking in some physical (B&M) stores in downtown Chicago so that he can see some stones in person and then also considering the Pricescope online vendors after that.

I''m already planning to take him to M Martin and Company and Diamond Scaasi.

Any more recommendations for physical stores in Chicago?
34.gif

Thanks in advance!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New York Jewelers at 11 N. Wabash has the largest selection of loose stones in the city. Their sales tactics can be a little off-putting (they take you into a private office and show you the stones) but their inventory makes it all worth it. Obviously don''t tell them that you''re "just looking" and gain whatever in-person knowledge you can before going off to any other vendors. As for prices, I actually found their pricing to be very competative with the on-line vendors (maybe 3-5% higher, but you are paying for overhead in that cost) so that part should be pretty educational too.

Happy shopping!

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
Hi Windy City,

I just did an extensive e-ring search and am based in Chi. We ended up buying our diamond in NYC. (the ring isn''t finished quite yet -- yes, the custom process is very frustrating) Dimend Scaasi is great for looking at loose diamonds, but I''m convinced tht ultimately online purchasing is the best way to go; both price wise, and for getting what you want via people who actually know what they''re doing.

That being said, you and your friend should take advantage of all the B&M''s in the city to figure out what you want. We looked at loose stones in these stores: Dimend Scaasi, Trabert & Hoeffer, James and Sons, New York Diamonds, and Diamonds Chicago. I was looking for a cushion brilliant, and the only place that even had any was Trabert. (seems like everyone is pushing cushion modifieds now) If you''re looking for a round, princess, etc. Dimend Scaasi and New York Diamonds both have a good amount in stock. Diamonds Chicago also has access to a ton of stones, and can pull them for you quickly b/c they are in jeweler''s building on Wabash.

We also hit up Tiffany''s, Neiman Marcus, Cartier and Van Cleef to get an idea for settings.

Hope this helps!

Midway

Rough_Rock
I also live here in Chicago and am going through my e-ring search right now as well. One note on NY Jewelers, you can negotiate with them a bit. They quoted me a price of $8,400 for a GIA excellent, 1.33, H, SI1 diamond. When I asked them what was the best price they could offer, they said that for me they''d do it for $8,000. That was if I paid in cash or bank wire. So, they''re prices are pretty competitive. I''ve been quoted upwards of $10,000 for similar (or even worse) stones at other stores in jewelers'' row.

But I have to echo ChicagoLawyer''s sentiments. If you''re looking for the best price and people that are nice to deal with I''d consider using a PS online vendor. I''ve had the best experiences with them and the best service. I visited C.D. Peacock, Christian Bernard, Goldin, NY Jewelers, Marshall Pierce etc. Not to mention Tiffany''s and Cartier and I was disappointed with how generally unknowledgeable the sales people were. I also agree that NY Jeweler''s sales techniques are a bit off-putting. Ultimately I decided to go with GOG and am having my setting custom designed by Quest. Going this route I feel better that I''m getting quality products for the best price possible and (hopefully) my ring will be beautiful and a little different.

Good luck!

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, everyone! I will add a couple of destinations to our agenda. We are going out this Saturday. I''m very excited -- it''s going to be a lot of fun!

Chicagolawyer -- I''m a Chicago lawyer too, incidentally.

There are 2 GOG diamonds that we have our eye on, so the current plan is to see if we see anything exceptional this weekend and then to compare the options.

Midway

Rough_Rock
Weird co-in-ki-dink but I''m a lawyer too.
3.gif
I guess everyone looking for a diamond in Chicago is strangely a lawyer. Good luck on your search WindyCity. I purchased my stone from GOG too, I''m getting it tomorrow. I''ll let you know what I think.

aviko21

Rough_Rock
I shopped all through that building. New york jewelers are used car salesmen. The people who i found good and honest were windy city diamonds. Those guys were not pushy at all, competitive in price(they have a ''real'' wholesale office upstairs in that bldg) and were great with custom designing a dream ring for me. What i liked the most was that they were honest about the diamonds that they showed me and veered me away from a diamond that the salesman didn''t like even though they would have sold it for $1500 over the one that i eventually bought. Good people too work with for my money!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results