shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose diamond

resident

Rough_Rock
I have a problem,

My fiancee's diamond on her engagement ring is slightly loose. The ring is 3 months old from Whiteflash, however it was resized from 4 to 4.25 at Holloway diamonds here in Melbourne. I'm not really sure what to do here. I don't think the looseness is caused by holloway as they have a very good reputation and it was only a very minor upsizing, and I can't say if it has been loose since then or just today when we noticed. Do I talk to whiteflash or would they not care because it has been altered by someone else? Also the fact that it has happened within 3 months suggests that even if it gets fixed, it may happen again.

My fiancee is very careful with her ring. She always takes it off for showers and bed and generally whenever she is home. I am also worried that our insurance wont cover it if the stone is lost as they might say it is due to the ring resizing.

So do I:
a) Talk to Holloway as they resized it?
b) Talk to Whiteflash as they made it and it might be a weakness with the design (was a custom made design)
c) Take it to any jeweller to get fixed and just hope it doesn't happen again?
d) Talk to my insurance company and see what they think?

Help!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Start with Whiteflash. They have warranty for this sort of thing. Mind you, for shipping sorts of reasons, you may end up back at Holloway just becasue they're nearby, you trust them and it's probably not a difficult job but you should have Whiteflash in the loop here.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Talk to Whiteflash and see what they have to say, but it may be easier to go to a local place for it to be examined and fixed. Perhaps the local place determines it was set wrong....maybe you won't have to pay the shipping to WF?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1313239391|2989947 said:
Start with Whiteflash. They have warranty for this sort of thing. Mind you, for shipping sorts of reasons, you may end up back at Holloway just becasue they're nearby, you trust them and it's probably not a difficult job but you should have Whiteflash in the loop here.
mint

Great advice. It couldn't hurt to talk to whiteflash. Keep in mind since having it sized by someone else and it bring 3 months, the end result may be that you need to just have it taken care of locally. Also, tell your FI to becareful wearing that ring until everything is resolved!!!

resident

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice,

I ended up taking it to Holloway first as they are local and they offered to fix it for free.
They also said there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the custom design so it should happen again. Phew!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results