shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose diamond purchase and BN price match

CedarPointOH

Rough_Rock
I have been doing my homework and educating myself on beginner to intermediate diamond knowledge. I am a few weeks or less from making an engagement ring purchase. I have decided buy through Blue Nile because their financing terms suit my needs better than any other (0% APR for 12 months) If you know of same or better please let me know.

I am looking for this or better but NOT worse: (Budget $10-12k)

ONLY GIA
Carat: 1.15+
Color: F-D (probably F though)
Cut: Excellent
Clarity: IF-FL
Depth %: 58.5-62% (but my sweet-spot is 59.5-61%)
Table %: 55-59% (but my sweet-spot is 56-58%)
Crown angle: 33.5-35.5
Fluorescence: NONE
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

I am also going for larger dimensions hoping for >6.8 x 6.8 x n.nn thus my interest in a mid-lower range depth %.

For quite a few weeks I have been seeing these diamonds ranging in price at Blue Nile and other online retailers for between $10,000-11,000 but now they seem to have gone up 10-20%. I understand diamond prices fluctuate but the timing of this is not ideal for me.

Have any of you used Blue Nile's loose diamond price match?
Can you tell me about your experience, what did you get, for how much, what other site did they match from?
How close do the two diamonds need to be to qualify for the price match? What characteristics, if any, will BN allow to be different/better?

What can you tell me about the supply of this type of diamond in the next few weeks?

Thank you in advance!! :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Cedar,
I'm sure many of our members will chime in with stone suggestions.
My point in this thread is to advise consumers considering finance on a diamond ring to check out the interest rate.
I am not speaking specifically about any diamond seller- this advice goes for any sort of consumer credit opportunities.

Take Sears as an example- they offer 18 month 0% interest.
But if I have not paid in full by the time the 18 months are up, Sears adds the entire 18 months of interest on top of the purchase price.
In the case of Sears, I know the interest can be close to 30%. Even for those with a solid credit rating.

Personally, I love the interest free deals- but I am extremely careful to make sure the balance is 0 before the interest starts.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Before everyone else asks:

1. Why GIA when AGS is considered by many to be better due to stricter grading guidelines?

2. Why IF-FL? Is this for cultural or mind-clean reasons? Generally, you can drop to VS2 and sometimes even SI1 and not have any inclusions that can be seen without magnification.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They can slip out of any deal they want, on any technicality they wish, so the price match program has no teeth at all. In practice, they're a pretty aggressive company and they'll try to make a deal with you if they can. Just be upfront with the salespeople about what you're getting offered elsewhere and what you're thinking. Truth can be a remarkably effective negotiating strategy.

CedarPointOH

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond - thank you for the advice and I will certainly keep your concern with financing in mind

LadyMCh-

1. I have read articles/posts some claiming GIA is more stringent and other claiming AGS is more stringent. A majority of information says that GIA is more stringent and is more recognized within the industry as the standard. In speaking with Insurance companies many of them prefer GIA certifications though. For my comparison sake it has been easier to minimize variables, therefore I limit myself to GIA.

That leads into your next question. Why IF+?

2. I understand that there are VS1 and worse that appear very beautiful to the naked eye OR inclusions can be hidden by a carefully placed prong but I want to avoid that hassle and just look at IF or better. For me it just reduces risk and uncertainty not looking at anything below IFs. I am also only planning on buying only one engagement diamond in my entire life and would like to make it as reasonably awesome as my budget can allow.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As far as cut goes, a lot of people on here are looking for best cut as "cut is KING" in regards to how a diamond "performs". AGS000 is considered the cream of the crop for that, although you can find GIA stones within the AGS000 specs. You shouldn't have a problem getting insurance for GIA or AGS. The bottom line is that they're both industry leaders.

I'm with AC117. IF/FL is WAY overkill on clarity. I would suggest you learn more about clarity before going through with a purchase. Maybe go to a high-end jeweler and browse? Are you near a Tiffany's? IF/FL is paying a high premium for something you can't even see. As AC117 pointed out, VVS1&VVS2 would give you a lot more equally beautiful options that have insignificant inclusions that can't be seen even WITH magnification. Most people on here would advise you to lower your clarity if there's no cultural "need" for IF/FL (popular in some Asian cultures). You would not be able to look at 2 stones that are the same cut and color next to each other and tell the difference between one that is "flawless" and one that grades in VVS or VS. But, if you buy 2 that are the same price, you'd be able to tell because the VVS or VS would be just as beautiful, yet noticeably bigger. You can go well below IF/FL before you get to diamonds that are not eye clean. These diamonds are not "bad" or "worse". Also, IF/FL does not mean that those diamonds don't have inclusions; you just need stronger magnification to see them.

AM1102

Rough_Rock
Let me start by saying I am in no way, shape, or form an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I rarely give advice and just have been taking it all in since I joined this forum - but felt the need to comment on this one. Before I joined PS I had the same exact though process as you. That I was only going to buy one engagement ring in my lifetime, that I wanted absolute perfection and NO inclusions, and considered nothing less than a IF or VVS1. After joining this board and learning from the experts, I ended up with a beautifully cut ... wait for it ... SI1. It is 1000% eye clean and is simply stunning. I have louped it probably darn close to 100 times since receiving it 2 weeks or so ago and still cannot find the inclusions. Also, don't let inclusion plots scare you. I know they scared me at first, but I am so glad I decided to drop in clarity and really focus on what matters most to me - cut and color (I also went with an F because I desired the icy white look). My grade setting inclusion is a twinning wisp which is completely clear/white, and no other inclusions. Good luck with your search with whatever you decide to do!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
They can slip out of any deal they want, on any technicality they wish, so the price match program has no teeth at all. In practice, they're a pretty aggressive company and they'll try to make a deal with you if they can. Just be upfront with the salespeople about what you're getting offered elsewhere and what you're thinking. Truth can be a remarkably effective negotiating strategy.

This is 100% true. I asked about a diamond that was higher priced and I have the link but they are saying USA Certed is not reputable. Guess who won't be buying from Blue Nile?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think your clarity requirements are too stringent. You'd be hard pressed to find an inclusion in a VS or VVS stone. With regard to labs, AGS grades for light performance, super ideal cuts all come with AGS papers. With regard to insurance, most insurance companies want an independent appraisal, and an appraiser will certainly accept AGS.

And here is where I say don't like the idea of buying an engagement ring that you have to finance; it's a non-essential item unlike a car or house. It's better to adjust your parameters to what you can afford right now. But I'm an old bat, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As others have echoed, buying a VS1 is not a hassle but a luxury, buying an Si2 is a hassle for bargain hunters, a vs2 is mostly safe and many SI1s also. Your budget allows for a 7mm+ stone. What will your girlfriend notice most? Size and cut or invisible inclusions?

As you say it's a large and important investment, go to a local store, look at diamonds of various clarities to appreciate the advice you have been given and hopefully rethink your priorities of the 4Cs.

I'm also intrigued as to why 55% table is not in your sweet spot?

I understand your gunning for colourless but faint fluor really is negligible and I wouldn't discount an other wise perfect stone because of faint fluor.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gonna be blunt here. You came to a forum of experts to get advice. Your insistence on generalities (fluorescence, table sweet spot, spready stone, flawless) are not useful in evaluating a particular diamond until you have seen enough to know where you want to trade-off.

From this post, your interests are:
1) a stone that you can finance
2) largest face-up diamond you can (> 6.8 mm)
3) you are worried about clarity and seeing any junk in the stone under any condition with a naked eye. No sneaky prong placement or funky stuff visible when set.
4) you want the stone to be very white (what color metal are you going to set this in?).
5) You have a budget of $10-12K (is this diamond only or all-in with stting?).
6) you need folks to inform you about florescence of a particular stone and any other details to know what questions to ask the vendor

Let PS members post a range of stones for you to help you see how we think you can trade-off without sacrificing performance. Ultimately, you make the choice, why eliminate opportunities?

For example....
If size is more important, top of your budget, but spread is 6.88 mm, F, VS1. HCA 1.0 TIC range. So, this is less fiery than we usually look for, but still has complimentary angles. You really would prefer to find something with more of a FIC profile.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08356677 {hit CTL}

Smaller at 6.73 mm, F, VS1, but $3k less. HCA .8, also within TIC range.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03704514

What kind of setting are you looking to put this in? Style and metal color? That can also impact the balance on a particular stone.

About BIC, FIC, TIC...
Quoting @Lorelei "Ok when someone describes a diamond of being " full of fire", this means it shows a good display of coloured light if the lighting conditions are right. This is why some seek out FIC's for this reason as they enjoy the extra fire that may be seen at times. There can be tradeoffs however when looking at a certain type of diamond such as the FIC, sometimes they can be cut a little deeper which can result in a smaller spread or face up size. These FIC's usually have a smaller table and a steeper crown angle which are features of the FIC.

BIC or brilliant ideal cut, may be as the term implies bright and brilliant diamonds, but may not show as much fire due to the shallower angles you can find with these diamonds. These can make excellent earring or pendant diamonds due to their bright and brilliant appearance, as these are not scrutinized in the same way as rings, however no reason that a BIC cannot be a ring diamond.

The TIC or near Tolkowsky type diamonds are a good balanced diamond which many prefer.
Scintillation - relates to the on off flashing effect of the facets as the diamond is in motion - read more here.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/brill.asp"

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP first posted in oct of 2016. I am guessing they have the stone by now. but either way great advice everyone!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh.:oops2: How.do these zombie threads keep popping up?

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I am the responsible party. I was researching Blue Nile's price match policy to see it if was legit and I googled and this came up. I was commenting on my experience to Denver Appraiser's very accurate comment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results