shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose diamond opinion

Oregonman

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I've learned a lot from this site and hope to gain a little more knowledge with this post. I'm ready to purchase an engagement ring and have really liked the James Allen site. After inputting the parameters I've learned here, I came up with this diamond.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2199518

Please give me an honest opinion. It's at the top end of my budget and is a touch bigger that I thought I would be able to afford. It's going in a platinum solitaire setting. Will the H color be ok in platinum?? Thanks in advance

Oregonman

Rough_Rock
THank you for the advice. And the second option! This will be my first diamond purchase and I'm a little overwhelmed.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the one Coda recommended....it already comes with an excellent ASET and IS. The one you chose has a washed out arrow that I'm a little concerned about. Since GIA rounds its numbers, the angles could actually be higher (or lower) than what they are and therefore result in light leakage. Ask JA for an IS but the 1.38 is a much safer buy. :wavey:

Oregonman

Rough_Rock
Great info. Thank you. I was just a little concerned about the VS2 rating, but it seems that you both agree it will look clear and bright? And do you feel the color is a good choice for fairly wide platinum solitaire setting??

Oregonman

Rough_Rock
I'm also open to going down in size and cost a bit if anyone has a lead on a great buy. I'd like to keep it above 1.2 though. Thanks so much for any help. This site has been invaluable.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Differences between those 2 stones:

thin to slightly thick girdle (less desirable and bigger variation), nature and location of inclusions ( table inclusions are a lot less desirable) (feather is a crack and a no-no for many people. both of those stones have a feather), and more green on aset (green, painting/digging?).

Oregonman

Rough_Rock
n64bomb|1479743585|4101083 said:
Differences between those 2 stones:

thin to slightly thick girdle (less desirable and bigger variation), nature and location of inclusions ( table inclusions are a lot less desirable) (feather is a crack and a no-no for many people. both of those stones have a feather), and more green on aset (green, painting/digging?).
Good info I'm sure. Do you prefer one or the other? Maybe you don't like either?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Oregonman|1479701153|4100958 said:
Hi all. I've learned a lot from this site and hope to gain a little more knowledge with this post. I'm ready to purchase an engagement ring and have really liked the James Allen site. After inputting the parameters I've learned here, I came up with this diamond.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2199518

Please give me an honest opinion. It's at the top end of my budget and is a touch bigger that I thought I would be able to afford. It's going in a platinum solitaire setting. Will the H color be ok in platinum?? Thanks in advance

The table inclusion would bug me, but it's probably eye clean from several inches away. i would ask JA . :wavey:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The table inclusion in the VS1 almost certainly be eye clean. In my opinion, that is most definitely microscopic and not visible to the naked eye, regardless of how close you are looking at it (without loupes) and its colour. Saying that, I prefer the look and proportions of the VS2 diamond.

Oregonman

Rough_Rock
On the second diamond, should I be worried about the varied thickness of the girdle?? I know it's not ideal but should I shy away from it?

E-W-johnson

Rough_Rock
The girdle variation isn't a problem, I'd set it in a halo though to protect it. Thin girdles can chip if accidentally hit.

E-W-johnson

Rough_Rock
The girdle variation isn't a problem, I'd set it in a halo though to protect it. Thin girdles can chip if accidentally hit.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This will be my first diamond purchase and I'm a little overwhelmed

This is a very familiar place for a consumer on PriceScope! Try to relax and enjoy this - have fun if possible. As long as you've done your research and considered what the experts have told you everything will turn out really well!

Happy Hunting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results