shape
carat
color
clarity

Looks pretty good

swigertj

Rough_Rock
I found a round brilliant which appears to be at a pretty good price, 1.1 on the HCA. I have no idea about this company''s signature cut, anyone have any experience in how they compare? Need an scope picture to really tell for sure?

1.5c round

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap. Since the report is a DQR instead of a DQD report type, that throws some red flag to me. DQD is performance based cut grading, DQR is proportion based, something must be wrong in the cut for the cutter to opt for a DQR instead of a DQD. How serious that error is, is another matter.

swigertj

Rough_Rock
And this is why ill be sure to ask around here before i make a purchase, wouldnt have even picked up on that
28.gif

The price seemed on the low end for that cut and clarity.

swigertj

Rough_Rock
Stone, how do you feel about this one? 1.6 on the HCA. Should i stay away from the I color range if my side stones are in the f-g range?

1.4c round

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/27/2010 10:26:19 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
yap. Since the report is a DQR instead of a DQD report type, that throws some red flag to me. DQD is performance based cut grading, DQR is proportion based, something must be wrong in the cut for the cutter to opt for a DQR instead of a DQD. How serious that error is, is another matter.
They may just prefer the predictability of the DQR/Gold Report - it's not diamond-specific so, just like a GIA Report, if you know the diamond's avg measurements you know what the cut grade will be (sans brillianteering).

The DQD/Platinum Report *is* diamond-specific. Even if you know average measurements the lab will be running the full performance-based 3D ray-tracing analysis that goes beyond the averages. You may think you know what it will get, but could be surprised.

This report (DQR/Gold) is a watered-down version of the DQD/Platinum, no doubt. But there are motivations apart from something "wrong" for a manufacturer to choose that format. You may have noticed that the diamond received an EX grade in polish but was still graded Ideal overall? This is another thing the DQR/Gold format mimics in the GIA system and, were I to guess, the reason this report was requested... This diamond is Gold Ideal, but would be Platinum 1 at best.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, since they advert it as their in-house brand H&A, I expect them to back it up with a performance based grading instead of a proportion based grading.

The GOG looks good, should not be a problem with that side stones, 2 grade difference is within acceptable range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results