shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to Upgrade to 1.75-2.00ct Cushion Cut in NYC - Plz help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
My wife and I are celebrating our 10yr anniversary. Not great economic times to do this, but 10yrs is a big deal to us. We currently have a 1.03ct EGL F VS1 Ideal cut diamond on platinum with 2 small baguettes. And a matching plat wedding band with round and baguette stones. Looking to do a complete upgrade of stone as well as setting and wedding band. Would love to trade everything in at fair wholesale value if possible. Thin pave setting is what we''re going for 2.0-2.5mm thickness with matching wedding band.

Looking for a reputable dealer with good selection and great prices. F color or better and VS1 or better. <67% depth, VG/VG or better. As square in shape as possible.

Please point me in the right direction. I''ve read some good things about Mark T. Also considering asschers, but 90% pretty sure we want cushion.

Thanks in advance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 3:08:25 PM
Author:ddcha
My wife and I are celebrating our 10yr anniversary. Not great economic times to do this, but 10yrs is a big deal to us. We currently have a 1.03ct EGL F VS1 Ideal cut diamond on platinum with 2 small baguettes. And a matching plat wedding band with round and baguette stones. Looking to do a complete upgrade of stone as well as setting and wedding band. Would love to trade everything in at fair wholesale value if possible. Thin pave setting is what we're going for 2.0-2.5mm thickness with matching wedding band.

Looking for a reputable dealer with good selection and great prices. F color or better and VS1 or better. <67% depth, VG/VG or better. As square in shape as possible.

Please point me in the right direction. I've read some good things about Mark T. Also considering asschers, but 90% pretty sure we want cushion.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome and congrats on your anniversary!

I just want to make you aware that unfortunately you don't get near what you paid for a diamond when trying to resell, usually in the region of 30 - 50% for GIA graded diamonds and with an EGL report it can be less than that even.

Concerning the cushion, I would also contact Jon at www.goodoldgold.com who are in Long Island, NY . Jon has a good eye for cushions also, so definitely worth speaking to him. You can ask whichever vendor you end up using if they might be interested in taking in the old set as a part exchange but normally unless the diamond has a GIA report this can be very difficult. You could also contact www.jamesallen.com , they have offices in NYC, they sell all types of diamonds but might be able to find you a nice cushion.

Also if you prefer to visit the vendors in person to view diamonds you usually need to make an appointment.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
30-50% really?!!! Even on an upgrade? wow. So much for the rationalization that a diamond "holds its value"....
1.gif

I will check those places out. I appreciate your help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 3:45:36 PM
Author: ddcha
30-50% really?!!! Even on an upgrade? wow. So much for the rationalization that a diamond ''holds its value''....
1.gif

Yes...an unfortunate myth...

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 3:56:10 PM
Author: neatfreak
So other than the "bankwire transfer discount", is there any more room on websites like GOG, engageementringsdirect, jamesallen, etc?

ted9000

Rough_Rock
Kestenbaum and Weisner
5 W 47th St
New York, NY 10036
(212) 921-1224
www.kwdiamonds.com

I am not affiliated but they have treated me well in the past. 5th Ave between 47th and 48th streets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 3:45:36 PM
30-50% really?!!! Even on an upgrade? wow. So much for the rationalization that a diamond ''holds its value''....
1.gif

I will check those places out. I appreciate your help.
Actually, Good Old Gold and a few other vendors around here give you 100% of your purchase price toward a future upgrade. I wish more people knew about that. You honestly may as well keep your original stone and put it in a pendant or something rather than taking a loss on it.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 4:11:34 PM

Date: 3/25/2009 3:56:10 PM
So other than the ''bankwire transfer discount'', is there any more room on websites like GOG, engageementringsdirect, jamesallen, etc?
I know James Allen has a nice Pricescope discount. I have the coupon code but don''t know if I can post it on here.
2.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 3:08:25 PM
Author:ddcha
My wife and I are celebrating our 10yr anniversary. Not great economic times to do this, but 10yrs is a big deal to us. We currently have a 1.03ct EGL F VS1 Ideal cut diamond on platinum with 2 small baguettes. And a matching plat wedding band with round and baguette stones. Looking to do a complete upgrade of stone as well as setting and wedding band. Would love to trade everything in at fair wholesale value if possible. Thin pave setting is what we''re going for 2.0-2.5mm thickness with matching wedding band.

Please point me in the right direction. I''ve read some good things about Mark T. Also considering asschers, but 90% pretty sure we want cushion.

Thanks in advance!

was there a trade up policy where you bought the original?

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
thanks for your helpful comments folks. Very nice of you all. I am in talks with the person I bought from, but she is out of state and claims she no longer deals with EGL stones, but would try to work something out assuming she can find me a stone I'm interested in. I dealt with Merle Stone, not sure if anyone here knows her. https://www.merlesstonesdiamonds.com/ An old colleague referred me to her. She has been very nice and treated me very well.

If that doesn't work out, perhaps I'll either try to sell the stone myself or simply keep it for one of my children in the future. Or ask my wife to pierce her bellybutton (jk, haha).

There is a setting on Mike T's website that looks incredible. it's on the cover of the "design your own" section of the site: http://engagementringsdirect.com/Designyourowndreamring/index.html Anyone know what it's called or have better photos? or seen something similar?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 8:29:05 PM
thanks for your helpful comments folks. Very nice of you all. I am in talks with the person I bought from, but she is out of state and claims she no longer deals with EGL stones, but would try to work something out assuming she can find me a stone I''m interested in. I dealt with Merle Stone, not sure if anyone here knows her. https://www.merlesstonesdiamonds.com/ An old colleague referred me to her. She has been very nice and treated me very well.

If that doesn''t work out, perhaps I''ll either try to sell the stone myself or simply keep it for one of my children in the future. Or ask my wife to pierce her bellybutton (jk, haha).

There is a setting on Mike T''s website that looks incredible. it''s on the cover of the ''design your own'' section of the site: http://engagementringsdirect.com/Designyourowndreamring/index.html Anyone know what it''s called or have better photos? or seen something similar?

Yes that ring is a PS member''s.

Bargain Crazy:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-2-48-cushion-w-pave-setting-by-mark-t-erd.55339/

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 8:49:59 PM

thanks for your helpful comments folks. Very nice of you all. I am in talks with the person I bought from, but she is out of state and claims she no longer deals with EGL stones, but would try to work something out assuming she can find me a stone I''m interested in. I dealt with Merle Stone, not sure if anyone here knows her. https://www.merlesstonesdiamonds.com/ An old colleague referred me to her. She has been very nice and treated me very well.

If that doesn''t work out, perhaps I''ll either try to sell the stone myself or simply keep it for one of my children in the future. Or ask my wife to pierce her bellybutton (jk, haha).

There is a setting on Mike T''s website that looks incredible. it''s on the cover of the ''design your own'' section of the site: http://engagementringsdirect.com/Designyourowndreamring/index.html Anyone know what it''s called or have better photos? or seen something similar?

Bargain Crazy:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-2-48-cushion-w-pave-setting-by-mark-t-erd.55339/
that is absolutely amazing. thanks for forwarding that. Anyone know what this setting cost? ballpark?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 9:43:03 PM
Date: 3/25/2009 8:49:59 PM

Bargain Crazy:

that is absolutely amazing. thanks for forwarding that. Anyone know what this setting cost? ballpark?

No worries. I asked 2 years ago when we were ring shopping but the price of platinum has gone down since then a lot. And my stone is MUCH smaller so it wouldn''t work exactly. But the price was very reasonable.

I would just call Mark to get a current price quote. He''s also the man for cushions...so he is a good resource for you regardless.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 10:27:04 PM

No worries. I asked 2 years ago when we were ring shopping but the price of platinum has gone down since then a lot. And my stone is MUCH smaller so it wouldn''t work exactly. But the price was very reasonable.

I would just call Mark to get a current price quote. He''s also the man for cushions...so he is a good resource for you regardless.
Thanks neatfreak. I have an apptmt with Mark T. are his stone prices competitive? He says that 90% of cushions are "modified" and that he votes against those and would be showing me the more rare 10% that is not modified. Does it matter so much?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:07:25 PM
Date: 3/25/2009 10:27:04 PM

No worries. I asked 2 years ago when we were ring shopping but the price of platinum has gone down since then a lot. And my stone is MUCH smaller so it wouldn't work exactly. But the price was very reasonable.

I would just call Mark to get a current price quote. He's also the man for cushions...so he is a good resource for you regardless.

Thanks neatfreak. I have an apptmt with Mark T. are his stone prices competitive? He says that 90% of cushions are 'modified' and that he votes against those and would be showing me the more rare 10% that is not modified. Does it matter so much?

Mark has great prices and a fabulous eye for cushions. I also prefer the standard cushion brilliant to the modified, but some like the modified, so ask Mark to show you both.

We have bought from him a few times now and he has always been great.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 7:03:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Actually, Good Old Gold and a few other vendors around here give you 100% of your purchase price toward a future upgrade. I wish more people knew about that. You honestly may as well keep your original stone and put it in a pendant or something rather than taking a loss on it.
Mark also has this policy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results