shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to sell old family diamond-NEED Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisn1

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I have a diamond pendant that belonged to my Great Aunt (it''s probabally 50+ years old). that unfortunetly I have to sell now, due to family financial problems. I''m not sure where to begin. I have an appraisal of the pendant from 1994. From what I can still read on it, it is a 3/4 ct, G.I.A. colored Grade L, Measurements 5.88-5.92x3.50, Table (something I can''t read) culet large, G___ medium, 1 inclusion plotted, and it is on a 14kt yellow gold mounting & chain. It was appraised in 1994 for $3200. I have considered listing it on ebay. (I have sold many items there, and familiar with the whold routine) I''m just not sure on where to start to get it''s real value, and to not be "taken to the cleaners"
I''m not sure I''m at the right location. I stumbled on this site in my research for information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Lisa

confused.gif

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
To determine the diamonds worth, you are missing some key information. At the very least you would need to know what kind of cut it is (I'm guessing that it might not be a modern cut as you say that it is old), and the clarity of the diamond. It would also be nice to know the polish, symmetry and whether or not the diamond is flourescent. For under a hundred dollars, you could get an appraiser to check it out and document the diamonds characteristics. I think that this would increase your chances of selling the diamond, particularly on ebay as you could scan that info in and place it in your ad. Keep in mind that you won't be able to sell it for the appraised value of the diamond. The appraiser (or the folks on this board) could probably help you decide what a fair selling price for the diamond would be once you get this info.

Good Luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lisa~

Get the info recommended above and very, very good, close up pics too. Tons of info, great pics, and copies of certs or appraisals seem to be the key to having a good jewelry auction on eBay.

Another place to try, before you go eBay, is Diamond Talk. DT has a classifieds section just for the purpose of selling diamonds, gemstones, and gemstone/simulate jewelry.

Hate that you have to part with a family item that means so much, but GOOD LUCK with your sale!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results