shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy an engagement ring but totally lost, help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
(asked to repost in this section)

I really am happy to find a great woman that I want to marry! But the engagement ring has me totally baffled!
I''ll just list my shame and helplessness line by line

-should I buy with her so she has something she wants (totally unromantic in my book but I do want her to have something she likes, afterall she''s wearing it)
-if I buy myself, I have NO IDEA what looks good! They all look similar to me!

-how much should I spend? I don''t want to be cheap but I don''t want to waste money either!
I''ve read about the 4 C''s and that it is certified by AIG, etc. but I hear horror stories at every turn...

- is a .5 carat considered small? is 1 carat considered a good size? is 2 carat? I have no idea!

-in short, I have NO CLUE and the more research I do, the more confused I get! ugh...

Ok my ideal picture in my head-

-I want to give a classic solitaire diamond, really simple and classic... (is that even cool now?)
-I want to surprise her with it and the proposal, spring it on her at that time.
-I want a ring that she can be proud of but doesn''t say "look at me, look at me" or be gaudy. (I think big stones are tacky- that''s just what I prefer)
I would like people to say, "That''s a beautiful ring, congrats on the future" not "Damn, what a huge rock!"

Thanks for the help, I just stumbled across this site and said THANK GOD! a diamond forum! There is a forum for everything it seems!

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 3:46:16 PM
Author:cruiserhead
-should I buy with her so she has something she wants (totally unromantic in my book but I do want her to have something she likes, afterall she''s wearing it)

-how much should I spend? I don''t want to be cheap but I don''t want to waste money either!

Buy her something that she wants that is within a reasonable budget for yourself. Take her ring shopping to see what she likes. We actually bought our ring together and I love the fact that I got to pick it out since I''m pickier about jewelry than he is. I''ve seen too many women cry because they didn''t like their ring when it was a surprise.

IMHO, buy the ring with cash you have. If you don''t have cash, save up. Don''t pay with credit because the interest is way too high to keep that balance. I know people whose $1500 ring became a $3000 ring many years later (they are still carrying the balance!!!!).

E B

Ideal_Rock
cruiser,

I agree with snuggles. It all depends on what is reasonable and in budget for you. We have people here at Pricescope with .25 ct rings, 3+ carat rings, and everything in between. Just so you know, the "norm" here (size-wise) at PS isn't realistic when looking at the "norm" out in the real world, so don't feel pressured to spend more than is reasonable FOR YOU when you see the size of the diamonds here. It'd be like going to an exotic car community forum and feeling like, in order to measure up, you need to buy a Lamborghini (when, in reality, most people don't have nor can they afford them).

I think asking her what she likes would be a great idea. Maybe you could go shopping, just to get an idea of what shape she likes, the kind of setting, etc. We ladies here at PS feel very strongly about being able to pick out our own jewelry. That way, everybody's happy!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cruiser,
ahhhh, congrats on finding your future wife! Are her friends and (mom or sister) married/engaged? I would look to see what they have as far as size goes and maybe see if you could find out there size of stone. A solitare is very classic! I bought my stone from Whiteflash and couldn''t be happier; they have a great upgrade policy too. Good Old Gold has the same policy. I have seen many great reviews from James Allen, GOG and WF lately. WF has their cut above line (ACA) which is a nice cut stone and you could go w/a classic Tiffany setting. Cut is the most important. If you give us a budget we can help you look. Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

gulliverseyes

Rough_Rock
I was in the same boat. I recommend starting with web searches and look for styles that catch your eye. Then go to local stores (B&M) and see what they look like for real, as the website blow-ups will throw you off. Then, just keep looking and deciding until you find a general style one you like. Then shop price.

I found one I liked at a local store, but then found this Tacori designer setting at overstock.com that was way better for about the same price. It looks very different than the picture, but I knew what to expect because I did go to a lot of local stores. It had a 30 day return, so I gave it with the CZ center stone in it. We're upgrading the center stone to a diamond now, as she loves it. If you go this route, just be careful of the setting diamond size. a 6.5mm diamond size will be about 1 ct for example, so you'll need to budget. There is some wiggle room, but best to stay close. The ring sizes are limited, but they can be altered. We just had a small leaf spring put in to take it down a size, was $40 through a private tech. They can be expanded as well, but there will be markings on the underside.

Good luck and have fun with the search. I hated it at first, but really got into it once I got some ideas. Couldn't of done it without this website.
41.gif

evolve

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PS!

Others on here already mention the what''s, do''s, and how''s. But like others said, go ring shopping with her. When you both are going shopping at the mall or just walking around the city and so happen there is a jewelry store, stop and do some window looking. Ask her what is her ideal diamond size, and style. From there, you can find out finger size (from parents or the rings she has). If you still can''t find out, do a search on here as there are others who have tips in figuring it out.

If you want to take the easy way out, during the time you are window shopping. Stop into the store and ask to try on some example style and they will be glad to measure her finger (FREE). This way, you have all the clues and ideal style on your belt.

From there, figure out what is your budget. Like other said, everyone has their own budget and try not to fixate the idea you have to have the best diamond on the block to fit into the norm of your friends or others. You should be thinking what is your budget and have enough to surprise her with all the other things (ie. taking her out to dinner that night, setting up a big surprise, going on a vacation, etc..etc...) Everything will cost money so budget within your available fund.

Good luck!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely buy what you afford. We''d all much rather have a heart-felt gift that our sweetie could afford than a bigger ring that brings debt along with it! Perceptions of what is big or small depend on the average age of engagement and average salary of your friends and acquaintances, so it can vary quite a bit. Wives of investment bankers in NYC might think 1 carat is small, whereas someone with a 1 carat diamond in a small town with a lower cost of living might have a bigger stone than all her friends and acquaintances.

Does your girlfriend wear silver jewelry or gold jewelry or neither? White gold is probably the safest bet if you''re not sure.

Does she have a friend or sister you could ask about her tastes? She might have said once, "Ew, I hate [such and such] cut diamonds" and the friend could help you narrow it down.

With nothing else to go on, I''d suggest an ideal cut round H-J VS2-SI2 stone with a simple white gold setting. If you buy from one of the vendors here like WhiteFlash or Good Old Gold, you can get a hearts and arrows diamond, excellent customer service, and a lifetime trade up policy if one day she''d like a bigger diamond! If you buy from one of the online powerhouses like Mondera or BlueNile, you''ll need to do a little more homework but can save even more than that. (I''d avoid the mall jewelry stores, especially if you are trying to get the most for your money).

Sample diamonds (to give you an idea of online prices):
0.42 H SI1 ($777 with PS discount)
0.63 I SI1
0.74 J SI1
0.93 H VS2

If you don''t mind sharing your budget and if you have any color or clarity preferences, we''ll kick around some ideas for you!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. Set a budget (no credit, only cash - yikes!!). Come back to PS with your budget, and the folks around here will get you the most bang for your buck.

I would recommend a place with a trade up policy. That is helpful for future upgrades.

Whatever you do, she will love it. I remember the pride I had wearing my teeny little .4 solitaire after I got engaged. It was all we could afford then, but it symbolized so much. Now, I have replaced the old gal, am likely going to recycle it into something wonderful. In short, don''t put too much pressure on yourself. If you are going to make this a surprise, I am certain your girl will be proud to wear the ring you pick.

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the info, i'll try to fill in the gaps

Ring shopping- this might be a good idea to get a feeler of what size diamond she would be happy with.

Budget- again, totally confused. Am I crazy in thinking 3 months salary is totally outrageous? Is that just a scam diamond stores tell you? That is a gripload of cash to put into a ring, I might do better to buy her a car instead! Or am I being a cheapo?
So I thought something in the $2000-3000 is reasonable... maybe I am being unrealistic and should look a step higher? like $4K? in any case, I planned on paying upfront. no financing.

Type of girl- She takes care of herself, Coach purse (not fake), nice fashions but is sensible and doesn't talk about material things. For example, she said she would rather save money on the wedding and spend it on furnishings/remodelling.
Her jewelry is silver not gold for the most part.
She is a designer, so works at the computer. No 'heavy lifting' hehe.

Size of diamond- so .4 carat is a tiny diamond? Is a .63 and .74 tiny too? I like the ones phoenixgirl posted. Those look right to me but I guess I'll have to visit a store to see size.

Ring- So I buy the ring and diamond seperate? Who mounts it up? do they fall out easily?

certificates do all these internet rings come with guarantee certificates?

The links help, thanks for listing reputable retailers! The direct links to rings helps a lot too...
this is great info, I might get a good deal and the ring she wants!

I copied IndieJones post here to answer some questions
Welcome!

First off... DO NOT BUY AT A MALL STORE! they sell you overpriced crap. trust me, I used to work for one.

Second off, the most important 'c' of a diamond is how well the diamond is cut. The more precise and higher quality the cut, the sparklier the diamond. Sparkly is good.

Ok there are two easy ways to do this fairly painlessly:
1) buy something from Tiffany
1b) you like that idea but can't afford it or can't afford the size you want, so try signedpieces.com for resale Tiffany. For instance right now they have a .61 carat, with great clarity and color, Tiffany Lucida e-ring for $4,500. *DROOL*

2)Buy a simple ring with an ideal cut diamond. Try whiteflash.com, they are very popular here, have great quality stuff, and I've heard they're very easy to talk to and you can trust them. (My top choices for ring style from them would be either x-prong solitare or the fine-line solitare.)

For a more fine-tuned way, here are a few questions first:

Does she wear jewelry on a regular basis and what color is it (yellow, white)? Does she wear any rings on a regular basis and what do they look like?

What type of shoes does she usually wear? Heels? practical?

What about her purse? Is it from Target? A leather Coach purse? Or is it a designer or designer look-alike bag? Does she talk about designer purses?

What is (or will be) her career? Lawyer? Teacher?

Does she work with her hands alot?

What area do you live in? New York, Idaho, Canada?

And finally, what kind of budget are you thinking of? $2,500? $4,000?

You might also want to consider asking her female friends or casually taking her for a walk 'near' a nice jewelry store. See what she looks at the most. If she's thinking that an engagement is near she might try to 'hint' what she likes that way. (she might also be shy of looking in case you'll think she's trying to pressure you. women are weird sometimes .)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Ok, sounds like simple and classic would work for her. And it''s always in, that''s why it''s a classic!
5.gif

For comparison on the budget and size thing: I have a .6 carat and it''s just perfect for me. We''re in the computer science world so it''s a good size socially as well, a bit big actually. Our budget was closer to 1/3 of a month rather than 2 or 3 months! That stuff is a total jewelry store line.

The .74 phoenixgirl posted looks lovely, but I''d ask the store if it was ''eyeclean''. If it is, it''s a very nice stone at a very nice size for a very nice price.
5.gif
The .63 also looks pretty.

As far as what you can get for the price
This .74 J SI1 with this comfort-fit suprise diamond e-ring in white gold would be $3,050. That''s a good size ideal cut diamond, a classy and simple e-ring that''s still very special for within your budget.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget- again, totally confused. Am I crazy in thinking 3 months salary is totally outrageous? Is that just a scam diamond stores tell you? That is a gripload of cash to put into a ring, I might do better to buy her a car instead! Or am I being a cheapo?
So I thought something in the $2000-3000 is reasonable... maybe I am being unrealistic and should look a step higher? like $4K? in any case, I planned on paying upfront. no financing.

Cruiserhead, the 3 months salary thing is a marketing tool only, don''t worry about it and spend what you feel comfortable with!

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 2:26:32 AM
Author: IndieJones
Ok, sounds like simple and classic would work for her. And it''s always in, that''s why it''s a classic!
5.gif

For comparison on the budget and size thing: I have a .6 carat and it''s just perfect for me. We''re in the computer science world so it''s a good size socially as well, a bit big actually. Our budget was closer to 1/3 of a month rather than 2 or 3 months! That stuff is a total jewelry store line.

The .74 phoenixgirl posted looks lovely, but I''d ask the store if it was ''eyeclean''. If it is, it''s a very nice stone at a very nice size for a very nice price.
5.gif
The .63 also looks pretty.

As far as what you can get for the price

This .74 J SI1 with this comfort-fit suprise diamond e-ring in white gold would be $3,050. That''s a good size ideal cut diamond, a classy and simple e-ring that''s still very special for within your budget.

what does eyeclean mean? can''t anyone just tell me "yes"?

I like the link you gave me, the .74J SI1... is this a good cut diamond so it will really sparkle? Also is J ok as far as color, the chart makes it look like it will be quite yellow.
I like this style of ring
http://whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=ST6PW&CategID=13
is a 6 prong or 4 prong better for a woman with thinner fingers?

also, what is "white gold"? is that just a upmarket way of calling something silver?
should I go for the 14K white gold or the 18K w/ plat. head for $100 more?

wow, i think this is really close to what I pictured in my head as a "classic engagement ring"! am I wrong?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good and trusted vendor won''t tell you that it''s eye clean if it''s not. They want you to be happy, not return the ring, and come back to them for future gifts.

White gold is a percentage of gold mixed with other metals, commonly nickel so be careful it she''s allergic to nickel, to turn the natural yellow gold white enough. Gold and platinum are both not used in their pure form - what it''s allied with depends on the maker.

J is good for some people not for others. It depends on how your eyes see colour. Some people truly like the colourless D-F while others prefer to go as low as K-M.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The 3 month thing is a complete scam.

Buy what you can comfortably afford and feel happy with.

My FI spent a lot less than we could have easily afforded, but I wouldn''t feel comfortable walking around with a huge amount of $$$ on my finger.

Using PS, you will get a lot more bling for your buck. My brother had a $6k budget which would buy a 0.50 carat well cut stone in the UK if you are lucky and I got him a 1.05ct H SI1 (eyeclean) with another 0.50cts of baguettes on the sides for his money.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I just want to point out that your first post contained a lot about what you (the guy) wanted in the ring (classic solitaire, a surprise, not big, not tacky, not "A Rock!") but not a lot about what your girl wants in a ring. I hope you have these opinions because you strongly think she will share them, as it will be her ring to wear! And what if her idea of a tasteful size is in your definition of gaudy? Or she really prefers a little something to her ring, as opposed to a plain solitaire?

So I strongly second the recommendation to take her shopping before buying. You are asking us to guess what she wants here, and you (who presumably knows her better) don''t have a lot of clear ideas what she would like.

As for size, some people consider anything over 0.5 ct "large" while others need to get over the 3 ct mark before in earns the "large" title. Your culture, the social circles you travel in, and even your girlfriend''s stature will all play into it.

For me personally, when I tried on round solitaires, I felt that below about 3/4 ct looked a bit small on my hand. My bf agreed, and he felt that around 2 ct looked gaudy and big. (While I didn''t entirely see eye-to-eye on that one, the budget made that concern a non-issue). But some other couple might come up with completely different impressions.

As for budget, you should have some idea of your girlfriend''s preferences before declaring one. Yes, 3 month salary is a jeweler''s canard, but if your girlfriend prefers a 1 ct solitaire in a platinum setting, you will have a very hard time sticking to a $2000 budget. Of course your budget should consider what you can afford, but you should consider what you aim to buy in setting the budget (and possibly adjust savings time if needed).

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 7:02:25 PM
Author: Addy
A good and trusted vendor won''t tell you that it''s eye clean if it''s not. They want you to be happy, not return the ring, and come back to them for future gifts.

White gold is a percentage of gold mixed with other metals, commonly nickel so be careful it she''s allergic to nickel, to turn the natural yellow gold white enough. Gold and platinum are both not used in their pure form - what it''s allied with depends on the maker.

J is good for some people not for others. It depends on how your eyes see colour. Some people truly like the colourless D-F while others prefer to go as low as K-M.

Thanks, the nickel allergy is a good tip. I''ll have to check on that as well as the color and other technical aspects. I''m learning! thanks

I still have to actually visit some stores and see what a .6, .7, 1 carat actually look like. I have no idea right now!

I am undecided on how to approach her about it. I''ll figure out a way to see what she likes. I do want to surprise her and want her to like it.
Logically, it is sensible to shop together but I want it to be a surprise. After all, it represents my commitment to marry her. So, I think part of that is figuring out what she likes and do it on my own... maybe I''m old-fashioned. hehe

I''m actually really excited about spending my life with her. The ring isn''t the be-all, end-all. I just don''t want to totally biff it on the ring purchase! haha. You don''t know what a relief it is to have these links and tips you guys supplied!! I feel like I got the inside track.
31.gif

I''ll be asking more questions in a while after some ''tire kicking'' and a better idea of what her tastes are. Thanks all!

E B

Ideal_Rock
cruiser,

Be sure to check into Blue Nile (www.bluenile.com). They have a lot of .60-.70ct stones in your budget. When searching, be sure to look for the ID/ID from AGS...those are the "ideal" cuts and a lot of the time, the numbers are pretty good.

As for color, unless you know her "sensitivity", I wouldn''t go lower than an H. And this is coming from someone who owns two J colored stones. You can easily get a nicely sized .70-.75ct, G-H, eye-clean, in your budget. Blue Nile has this beautiful platinum trellis setting that would be lovely with a ~3/4 carat diamond center, and you''d be able to come in under $4k (closer to $3k, depending on the cost of the diamond of course).

sajc

Rough_Rock
Well, it sounds to me like you need to do some more research. I'm not trying to be smart, or mean... I'd recommend just doing a lot of reading. I was in exactly the same boat as you just a couple of months back! It's pretty daunting if you have no idea about jewellery, but there is a lot of info out there. Actually, that can be just as daunting. But once you start to get a handly on it, you start making headway pretty fast. My intended sounds very similar to yours in taste, so I was also looking for a discrete ring, but a nice ring. Like you said, something she can be proud of, but not something big and gaudy (she hates anything big, bulky or overstated). In the end, I think I've decided on 0.5-0.7ct, so that'll be a little bigger than 5mm. Take a look at some diamond guides on the net and have a look at different shapes (there's a set of pre-definded ways that diamonds are cut). I decided that round was the way to go for me, and some discrete questioning of my intended showed me that my inclination was right. Do some really generic google searches on jewellery metals, diamond grades, and just look around and read a lot. You'll get the hang of it eventually (unless you're in too much of a hurry). For example:

A guide to metal types:
http://myring.com.au/information.php?info_id=39

A guide to diamond grades:
http://gilletts.com.au/information.php?info_id=7

... etc. There's lots out there.

Once you've done a bit of reading (and maybe even some note taking!), go into some shops and just look at what they have there. Tell the assistant to leave you alone and just see what's there, see what they look like. Look at the sizes, colours, shapes etc and remember what you read about.

... well, that's what I did anyway, and I think it worked OK for me. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Good luck!

Scott.

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the info guys, I will be stopping in some stores this weekend to check out the sizes.

I have the inside track w/ her best friend so I can get the nitty-gritty on specifics. I never saw a square diamond before but they look kind of cool too.

btw, I''m never telling her about this place. The thought of my wife spending all her time on a forum about diamonds... sounds like financial suicide to me!
32.gif
2.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Congratualations! You are clearly very excited, and who wouldn''t be? Marriage is such a wonderful thing!!

4k''s sounds like a very lovely and substaintial budget...you should easily find a perfect ring within that budget.

The ladies have given you perfect advice...but if I may throw a lil'' something in...I would shoot for white gold and avoid plat. You will save money...which means you can put a bit more into the diamond, but will also keep with the white metal look your future wife likes!

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
Update:
Got the inside track- I will be looking at rings w/ her bff (on the down-low )
2.gif
. She will casually ask my girlfriend about styles "if" she were to get a ring.

One good bit of info- it's going to be at least 1 carat- so I think my budget just went up a bit
22.gif

btw, we are in our mid-30s so I guess something like that is appropriate for our age? Her friend said, "I think she's old enough to wear something at least 1 carat."

So it looks like my budget will be in the $6,000 range?
Hang in there with me, I will need expert advice as the specifics roll in.
34.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Here are the classic guidelines you should go by:

Spend 2 months salary (after taxes) on a ring, if possible. That''s the standard in the US. If that means a gorgeous .50 carat, great - if it''s a 2 ct, even better! But, you can never go wrong with a classic, 1 carat solitaire - very beautiful. I wear a 2 ct in my avatar, so yuo can get an idea of what that looks like. Check out the Show Me the Ring thread for gorgeous stones of every size.

You mentioned that bigger stones look tacky to you - women often feel differently
emwink.gif

Her best friend should have a good idea of what she likes - you may want to ask her if you can trust her to keep a secret. But a round diamond in a solitaire setting is always beautiful. Go for ideal or excellent cut - that''s the most important thing to look for in a diamond. I like stones SI2 quality and better and I color and better, but that''s just my preference. There are some phenomenal J - M color diamonds on this web site that just blow me away too.

Good luck shopping - any of the Pricescope vendors should have gorgeous diamonds in your budget.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I just read your last post - I am also in my early 30s, and I agree, at this point in my life, I like at least 1 - 1.25 carat, so that''s a good guideline. I would go for something H color SI1 or SI2 clarity with excellent cut set in a white gold solitaire - my preference was for a bigger diamond over a fancy setting, which could cost thousands, but to each his own.

Whiteflash, Good Old Gold & James Allen have great selections with pics of the diamonds - happy shopping!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Check out these diamonds:

If I''m not mistaken, I think that all of these vendors give some sort of deal if you come from Pricescope.

Here is an I SI2 H&A 1 ct for under $4000! Click "Real Diamond View" to see a picture:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1123148.asp

Or this gorgeous G SI2 H&A 1.2 ct for $5940:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1020288.asp

Some other gorgeous stones:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3903/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3933/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3946/
http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-358388.htm
http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-358374.htm
http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-513827.htm

Good luck, let us know what you pick!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
I know they are spendy but go to Tiffany''s. Contact their personal shopper and they will spend as much time with you to explain everything and show you multiple stones under the microscope discuss inclusions and cut, symmetry, polish grades, and stone proprtions (check out the actual certs. on specific stones). They will even check co. inventory, order rings from other stores to view etc. As a first timer I felt confident that I was making a great investment and that I got exactly what I wanted.

I''m sure this is pretty standard business but it was fun and informative. I didn''t feel pressure to buy (we went back 3 times). Each time I left knowing a lot more and had the confidence to examine other stones at other places.

Don''t underestimate the deep secret place some women (perhaps not your fiance) have for the Tiffany Diamond.
30.gif

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 10:18:19 AM
Author: cruiserhead
Update:
Got the inside track- I will be looking at rings w/ her bff (on the down-low )
2.gif
. She will casually ask my girlfriend about styles ''if'' she were to get a ring.

One good bit of info- it''s going to be at least 1 carat- so I think my budget just went up a bit
22.gif

btw, we are in our mid-30s so I guess something like that is appropriate for our age? Her friend said, ''I think she''s old enough to wear something at least 1 carat.''

So it looks like my budget will be in the $6,000 range?
Hang in there with me, I will need expert advice as the specifics roll in.
34.gif
A wing-person is always a good idea to have
2.gif
Looking forward to seeing what you are going to get her!

georgetteoden

Rough_Rock
Coming from a lady who has been blessed/cursed with the task of finding or designing her own diamond and ring--

Based on what the BFF says, buy the stone only and propose with that, then let her pick the setting.

Or better-- propose with a goofy and/or cheap fake-- then tell her the budget and tell her to pick her favorite.

With all the difficulty I've had figuring out what *I* like best, I can't imagine someone *else* trying to figure it out. Sometimes you have to wear a certain shape of stone for a few days to decide. And it would be very frustrating (to me) to wear something I didn't care for, even if I loved him to death (and I do.)

Personally I'm in the camp of ladies who are tired, tired, tired of round brilliants, so right now I'm looking at pears, cushions and ovals. Maybe she would feel the same way. I do second the opinions of those who say don't worry about what *you* want in a ring, worry about what *she* wants! :)

Enjoy and good luck!
10.gif

RoyalFB

Rough_Rock
Hey Cruiser-

I have very little experience with this stuff, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I wanted to respond because I was in the exact position you were in just a couple weeks ago. I learned a lot, fast, thanks to the wonderful folks on here. Like you, I only knew that my girlfriend liked white gold more than yellow gold....that''s about it. I did some friend asking as well and found out two things, 1)she like princess cuts and 2)my budget was going to have to be bigger
21.gif
I decided the best thing to do was to buy a loose diamond online at a great price, use the 30 return policy to check it out, and have it set at a local jewler. I picked to have it set at a local place because I wanted to put it in a very simple white gold solitare setting. The place I found has a trade-up policy with settings. That way after I proposed I could go back with my girl (after I insured the ring) and have her pick a permanent setting that she loves.

I ended up finding a stone on pricescope from James Allen. They provided pictures, sarin, idealscope images, etc... If you don''t know what those are, just ask for them and post them on here to see if they are good. I''m not sure if Princess cut is something you are interested in but I ended up finding a beautiful 1.02ct E VS2 with a excellent cut for $4200. The sales people are really friendly and helpful! I hope you search goes well, and keep in mind that even if the ring is not perfect the amount of work you put into finding the right one might mean just as much. That''s the way it worked for me!
31.gif
Congrats on taking this big step!

Royal

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are on the right track about getting something that is about 1 carat. If she wears a coach purse and is in her mid 30''s I think you should try to hit the 1 carat mark if you can swing it financially. A 1 carat diamond is very adaptable and in my opinion always looks large enough without ever being tacky or gaudy. It would be a great idea to get her a stone that comes with an upgrade policy in case she does ever want to larger down the line. She may never want to, but it''s a good option to have.

As far as the setting goes, I would honestly try to get her opinion on this one rather than friends and relatives. My friends and relatives would be waaaay off for me. Try going shopping with her and getting a sense for if she likes delicate, classic, plain, modern, antique looking, etc. Does she want a three stone or a solitaire? These are good ideas to try on and see what she likes. After going shopping come back here and we''ll she what suggestions we can give you. I ultimately wouldn''t buy from a local jeweler, since you can get higher quality for a lower price online, but it''s a great place to start looking with her. For now, just ignore price tags and get a feeling for what she likes. Then come up with a concrete budget and start looking here.

She probably wants either white gold or platinum since she mostly wears silver rings.

You seem like a really nice guy who is going to pick out something she really likes and do your research, you''ll be just fine!

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
OK! I'm finalizing for purchase here- need your thoughts on diamonds so I can do some financial damage!
which of these two are better?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1123148.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1112004.asp

and this setting (maybe the cool 3d animation got me! hehe)
http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_412-2072_build.asp?module=setting

also, why is this one below more money when there is an obvious, huge chip in the center of it??
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1108571.asp

questions

AGS & GIAsame certification? Is one better than the other?
Hearts & Arrows cut is this a real cut above "ideal"? or just something made up by jamesallen? I notice there is no H&A cut in the certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results