shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy a ring.....don''t know what I''m doing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tennessee615

Rough_Rock
I already know many of the diamond people on here will laugh about this, but I''m looking for "the least expensive ring I can find with carat b/t 1.5 to 1.7, color at least J, cut at least Good, and clarity SI2 or better. I know that is by no means the "best ring", but I don''t plan on showing it off to gemologists. I know other some guys have to be in the same position here. I don''t necessarily care about finding some fancy, beautiful diamond, just decent size like I listed and shiny. I know my GF will be happy and won''t need it to be rated excellent. More or less she will just care about the size. Is is possible to do this for 4-5k and then spend 2-3k on bagguets for the side/setting/ wedding ring?????

Thanks for any help!!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are simple search tools just above this page to find the cheapest stones in the market.
Also look under Vendors in the top right tab - Resources - you can see which vendors do basic ring settings etc.

All those vendors are reputable or they would have been outed by now :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi tennessee,

About the only way you're going to find what you're looking for I believe, is to go with an EGL graded stone. You can do a search on here to find out exactly what that means.

And while I can appreciate a gal wanting "size", I can also personally appreciate cut. If you went with a bit smaller, better cut J (which would be fine, IF well cut, otherwise it WILL look yellow), what she may very well notice when comparing to her friends is that hers sparkles more, and simply looks better.

For example, I have a very well cut stone (1.40, which is a noticable size). A gal who saw it for the first time grabbed my hand to look at it, and said how CLEAN and pretty it was, and that she needed to clean hers. Now granted, it definitely was clean, but that's not what she was seeing. That was the CUT, which does make a difference. I also have a sister-in-law who lives out of town. Each time we have gotten together since I got my stone (upgrade), she will take my hand to look at my stone, or pick it up to look at it if I've taken it off. She never says a lot, but I know her, and she doesn't have to. I know that she is admiring the cut, and how beautiful the stone is. And she has seen a lot of diamonds.
2.gif
It does make a visual difference.

So, what I'm getting at is, please consider at least upping the cut to at least VG, J is fine, and something eyeclean. I would suggest, if budget is tight, going with a simple solitaire for now, so more can be put towards the stone. You can always change the setting at a later date. And if you go with certain vendors, you can always upgrade the stone too.

Also, if you are buying online, contact one of the many recommended vendors to help you find what you're looking for.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you click onto "gallery", then go look at Winks pictures, there are 2 listed on their he might still have.
1...1.23 I-1, I, $4289.00

2. 1.50 I-1, J, $5040

I know you wanted better clarity, but very doubtful you will find something in that range for what you want to spend. If you stay away from the magic 1.5ish mark, you may find something in the 1.30''ish area. Seach all the databases you can, but for this kind of project, you may want to contact a vendor & have them work with you or you might be chasing your tail. If I search anything out, I''ll let you know.

Judy
:)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 11:08:39 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Honestly? In short, don''t sacrifice cut.
Oh sure, cut right to the chase. What, was I long winded??
9.gif
2.gif

Agreed, as I indicated my my rather lengthy post.
25.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2007 11:16:43 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/31/2007 11:08:39 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Honestly? In short, don''t sacrifice cut.
Oh sure, cut right to the chase. What, was I long winded??
9.gif
2.gif

Agreed, as I indicated my my rather lengthy post.
25.gif
HI:

Into the wine gums already Ellen????
41.gif
18.gif

cheers--Sharon

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Suggest:

a) Use the Price Stats option (above, under prices), look for 1A
b) Find a vendor who will look at the diamond for you, and try to take good care of you.

Try this one, and call us in the morning.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tennessee615,
don''t know if you''re really in TN, 615, but if so, you might want to check out Barker diamond Co. Randy Barker is the owner, has great pricing and very knowledable about cut, which us pricescopers love to put first. even owns an idealscope with is RARE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results