shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy a diamond - help need spending $70k

h2009

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 22, 2015
Messages
4
Hello, I was wondering if you can give me some insight to buying a diamond please.

So my fixed elements are:
Colour: G or better
Clarity: VS1 or better ideally in VVSS range.
Carats: around 3
Cut: Exec
Fluorescence: none to medium (blue)

I've found a few diamonds that I like the look of but (online) but I'm not sure if I'm picking them right or if I can do any better in quality or cheaper for the nearly the same. The diamond I'm looking to buy has got to have that wow factor - clear in colour, and bright in all conditions (if thats possible?)

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R351-1LVKEK


Thank you.
 

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
h2009|1450796968|3964775 said:
Hello, I was wondering if you can give me some insight to buying a diamond please.

So my fixed elements are:
Colour: G or better
Clarity: VS1 or better ideally in VVSS range.
Carats: around 3
Cut: Exec
Fluorescence: none to medium (blue)

I've found a few diamonds that I like the look of but (online) but I'm not sure if I'm picking them right or if I can do any better in quality or cheaper for the nearly the same. The diamond I'm looking to buy has got to have that wow factor - clear in colour, and bright in all conditions (if thats possible?)

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R351-1LVKEK


Thank you.

Hi - I can't comment on this stone in particular (rules against trade members commenting on stones), but speaking in general, if you stick with G+ VS1+ you shouldn't have any colour or clarity issues with those grades - just make sure that any inclusions, if located directly under the table, don't have any colour or size that are visible to the naked eye...not likely with a VS1, buy you'll want to confirm that anything you're interested in is eye clean (inclusions in bigger stones are sometimes easier to see).
So really, you can concentrate on the 'cut' as this will have the biggest influence on light performance and whether or not your diamond will have the 'wow factor' you're looking for...once people get past the carat weight :)
With cut, keep in mind that it is a range, so you can get some measurements that are slightly better than others, and both can still get a cut grade of excellent. For example, If you're looking at a stone with a GIA certificate cut grade of EX, yes it will be a nice looking/performing stone, but to be certain, you can also compare the measurements (crown angle/table size/pavilion angle/etc) against the AGS cut grade system to see if it also falls within their 'ideal' range. The key is finding the right balance with the measurements that will satisfy any light performance issues, as well as be aesthetically pleasing to you. If it ticks all of the boxes then you're on your way to getting a pretty great diamond.
Regarding price...it's a matter of shopping around (with the above details worked out) to find out where you can get the best value for your $, and which organisation/person you're going to be comfortable dealing with for this type of purchase...I'm sure there are plenty of non-trade members on this forum that will offer up their favourite vendors for you to try.
Keep in mind that not all diamond reports are created equal, so stick with the tried and tested ones - GIA/AGS/HRD/IGI and stay away from the EGLs and other dodgy certificates as you won't get an accurate grade for the diamond, and may not get the best value for money. If it seems too good to be true, then it usually is...especially with diamonds.
Hope this helps
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
4,224

h2009

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 22, 2015
Messages
4
Hi All

Thanks for your input. I guess that would have helped if I put in GIA cert as well to my spec sheet, as that is a must as well.

Can anyone recommend a set of ideal guide range angles and % that I should be looking for - that might be an easier way to go around this!
 

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
196
h2009|1450807841|3964874 said:
Hi All

Thanks for your input. I guess that would have helped if I put in GIA cert as well to my spec sheet, as that is a must as well.

Can anyone recommend a set of ideal guide range angles and % that I should be looking for - that might be an easier way to go around this!

I'd say this is the best resource on PriceScope for Rounds:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-round

If you're going with an AGS stone, I'd recommend searching 1 color grade higher than you planned, based on experience and customer feedback. IMHO, GIA is stricter on color and clarity while AGS is known to be stricter and more precise (and doesn't round) in its measurement of cut quality.
 

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
138

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
12,654
egemnoel|1450821881|3965009 said:
If I had 70K to spend I would be going for a special Cut To Order by Crafted By Infinity. Now that is something special, only one person I know on this forum has had it done. This is taking 'purchasing a diamond to a new level' and you will have perfection.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cut-to-order-crafted-by-infinity-diamond-part-two.208250/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cut-to-order-crafted-by-infinity-diamond-part-two.208250/[/URL]
+1!!

Check out the video. IRL it is the most stunning diamond. Huge, sharp flashes going from edge to edge.
 

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
h2009|1450807841|3964874 said:
Hi All

Thanks for your input. I guess that would have helped if I put in GIA cert as well to my spec sheet, as that is a must as well.

Can anyone recommend a set of ideal guide range angles and % that I should be looking for - that might be an easier way to go around this!

If you can find something within these parameters you'll be sorted:
1. Table size between 53-57%
2. Crown angle between 34-35
3. Pavilion angle between 40.6-40.9
4. Total depth <62.2%
5. Girdle – +/- 4.0%
6. Culet - None

These are very tight parameters, and if you can't find a diamond where everything lines up exactly, remember it''s about balancing out the numbers.
Hope this helps in your search.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
58,547
The diamond you chose from Enchanted Diamonds actually fits the parameters we recommend. It looks pretty fabulous to me! I happen to love G VS1. Those are probably my favorite specs balancing color and clarity with diamond size.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,225
I like the G VS1 as well. I wouldn't ever pay for higher clarity than VS2 in a round personally. So as VS1 is the lowest you'll accept at least you are maximizing your stats.
 

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
666
LLJsmom|1450824011|3965016 said:
egemnoel|1450821881|3965009 said:
If I had 70K to spend I would be going for a special Cut To Order by Crafted By Infinity. Now that is something special, only one person I know on this forum has had it done. This is taking 'purchasing a diamond to a new level' and you will have perfection.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cut-to-order-crafted-by-infinity-diamond-part-two.208250/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cut-to-order-crafted-by-infinity-diamond-part-two.208250/[/URL]
+1!!

Check out the video. IRL it is the most stunning diamond. Huge, sharp flashes going from edge to edge.

+ another - magnificent
 

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
3,769
JoshuaNiamehr|1450809185|3964889 said:
h2009|1450807841|3964874 said:
Hi All

Thanks for your input. I guess that would have helped if I put in GIA cert as well to my spec sheet, as that is a must as well.

Can anyone recommend a set of ideal guide range angles and % that I should be looking for - that might be an easier way to go around this!

I'd say this is the best resource on PriceScope for Rounds:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-round

If you're going with an AGS stone, I'd recommend searching 1 color grade higher than you planned, based on experience and customer feedback. IMHO, GIA is stricter on color and clarity while AGS is known to be stricter and more precise (and doesn't round) in its measurement of cut quality.
Joshua,
Do you have any evidence to support this statement about color and clarity grading ? Otherwise it is unfortunate that a tradesperson would be making statements that forum visitors may take as fact.

Color and clarity grading is inherently subject to a universally understood one grade tolerance between (and within) the best labs because final grading calls are made by human graders. Furthermore, color and clarity grades are very small ranges on a continuum, as opposed to distinct units, and they are sometimes very borderline.

These variances regularly occur providing plenty of anectdotal evidence that can be brought forward to make the claim that either of these labs is either stricter or softer on either color or clarity. But there is no evidence that I have ever seen of a kind of systematic strictness or softness on the part of either lab.

What we do know is that diamonds with grading reports from AGSL trade for a premium over GIA reports in the market. If your statement was actually fact based, this would not be the case.

Such a statement is also open to question in light of all the problems GIA has had recently in maintaining grading consistency during their expansion of labs and grading staffs spread all over the globe.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top