shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skyride39

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion about Hollywood Jewellery in Toronto (Yonge and 1/2 block north of Eglinton)? Has anyone ever gone there for a loose diamond and had a good experience or bad experience? Their prices seem to be pretty cheap but i was kinda worried that the owner asked for cash so that I wouldn''t pay the tax. However, he was very helpful and patient with my questions and explained all he could.

Another question is can GEMSCAN identify diamonds that are fake (ie Moissanite) because I read on the HWL website that it is difficult to tell the difference even with today''s technology. GEMSCAN appears to be the choice of jeweller''s in Toronto and I just want to know if they are reliable for grading or not.

Thanks

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
Hi Skyride39,

Being in Toronto, I searched a lot of places. And one of those places is Hollywood Jewellery. They've been at that location for 18 years.
3.gif

I also found them to be very helpful and patient. The prices there were very reasonable. My friends bought from them and they have only had positive experiences. I didn't buy from them because I was looking for the GIA or AGS diamonds. However, if you want the GemScan diamonds, they are certainly a place to consider.
1.gif

skyride39

Rough_Rock
Where would I be able to find a place in Toronto that has GIA or AGS diamonds? I find every place uses GEMSCAN here.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
come to montreal..
many places have GIA or HRD stones here..

Trichrome

song

Rough_Rock
There is a Martin from usacerted diamond at Bathurst and Steeles. I've heard of him before and only heard glowing reports. I'm wondering if he affiliated somehow to this site. Worth a look.
(tried to link you to the discussion here, but the link keeps pointing back to this thread (???). ~song

Guido

Rough_Rock
I've been to Dynes Jewellery in Richmond Hill just this past Saturday afternoon. Vern wasn't there but I was "greeted" by his rude employees. One lady started yelling at me when I tried to write down some numbers. Sorry but when I see 4-5 diamonds/store and 4-5 stores/day I can't remember all the details. She said Vern doesn't allow any writing in the store. I said no problem - I'll go write in another store, and I walked out.

Besides that, I found their prices extremely high. I'll never go back.

song

Rough_Rock
That is terrible. Do tell them that I was considering a trip over there, but after your glowing report I won't bother!

The link to Martin at USA Certed Diamonds is:
http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/

Whis *is* located in Toronto around Bathurst and Steeles.

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
Guido - Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with Dynes. I only dealt with Vern and he was pleasant and helpful.

In terms of prices - Their diamond prices are only slightly more expensive than similiarly graded diamonds. Also remember that they only carry Canadian diamonds, which are about 10-15% more expensive anyway.

Through my personal shopping experience, I have found that it's not possible to compare diamond prices graded by GemScan vs. AGS. It's an apple to orange comparison.

I did a quick search on Pricescope on a 1 ct. G, SI1, H&A. The average cost was US$5266. When you factor in the exchange, and the 25% tax (10% excise, 15% GST/PST), the prices Dynes charges are only slightly more expensive.
1.gif

So if one wants the AGS000 and wants to be able to physically see the diamond, then Dynes is definitely an option.

irem

Rough_Rock
Hi,

This is my first post, I am starting the JOURNEY into finding a diamond in TORONTO for a GREAT PRICE! I have been to a few places and one that is somewhat small but for some reason ALWAYS visited in my neck of the woods (Woodbridge/Maple) is PETERS FINE JEWLERS. It is located on Major Mac and Jane(right off Canadas Wonderland). Its in the Longos Food Plaza. Peter is sooo nice, al my neighbours go to him and our neighbours all buy large amounts of gold and diamonds...I UNFORTUNATELY am not that FORTUNATE! hahaha! I've got a number for the place, I am going to go there tonight to get some more quotes finalized for an ENGAGEMENT RING(lets keep our fingers crossed!!)
appl.gif
...I'll keep everyone informed!

GOOD LUCK!
naughty.gif

Guido

Rough_Rock
Regarding Dynes - maybe if you deal directly with Vern then things will be different. Maybe I caught that salesperson at the worst possible time. I don't know - I won't be returning. If you do then I wish you better luck.

When I was looking at the rings the lady told me that only the ones in the glass case are Canadian diamonds. Maybe I heard wrong, but I think they sell non-Canadian diamonds also.

skyride39

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses. USA Certed Diamonds appears to be a popular choice for those in Toronto. Maybe I should wait till the Loonie goes up even more to make up for the excise tax?

No one really answered my question if I have to worry about fake diamonds out there cause to be honest, I have a feeling I won't be able to tell the difference unless some testing machine was in front of me or if there's some easy test I can try myself when I look at a diamond. any suggestions?

tolorentlover

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

GEM Scan is fine, it is Canadian and all the dealers use them for certifying their stone.

The way it wrks an importer bring a prcel of diamonds literally in a bag, the parcel containes 200 stones. These then have to be individually classified. The only local recognized organization is Gem Scan. To have the done in the US with GIA ad no value and costs at least 200 more per carrot

If you are looking for a dimond, give me a call and i will give you the price you should be looking at when shoping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results