shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking in New York

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cosmo

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a diamond, have it set, appraised, and insured. I live in New York. I have been doing research through books and on the web for a few months, and have looked at rings with the recipient to understand what she wants. Since I work a lot and don't have a car, in all likelihood all transactions will take place within the confines of Manhattan. I am looking for additional insight on the following topics:1. A list of reputable diamond vendors in Manhattan or alternatively, a resource to find reputable dealers in Manhattan.2. How to find/determine a jeweler to create a setting. I am interested in platinum with side stones. I am very particular and have not liked most of the settings I have seen. Does it make sense to buy the stone from a jeweler who also has settings that I like?3. The process and sequence of purchasing a stone, a setting, receiving an appraisal, and securing insurance.4. How to find a good appraiser and insurer.I know this post is a little long and demanding but I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

richbent

Rough_Rock
Hi Cosmo,Try a guy named Maurice from MoeDiamonds. He's on 47th Street. He helped a few of my friends in Pennsylvania with engagement rings and bands.
I tried a few other dealers online, but found him to have the best quality and price. We worked on my rings for about 10 days and I was very impressed at his talents and professionalism.
As far as procedures, this is how I did it:
Shopped around for a diamond, got the stone shipped to me for inspection.
Sent it back to Maurice and told him the setting I wanted using some pictures from other sites- worked out great!
He recommended Barry Block in Garden City, Long Island. He is the best appraiser in the country- I've seen him on Oprah a few years back. Then I took everything to my insuarnce company (Liberty Mutual) and got a "rider" on my homeowners insurance. Only costs me $125 a year for a $10,000 ring.
Give him a try if you'd like, here's his email: [email protected]
Good luck and let me know how it works out.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yes it might be just because of the same ISP

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cosmo,How far are you from Massapequa Park, NY? You can check www.goodoldgold.com. You can also buy from the reliable/known vendors in through the Internet. Check this link: www.pricescope.com/isitsafe.asp Appraisers: www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp and www.pricescope.com/appr_list.asp On how to find right jeweler check this thread: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000267.html Here are StevL recommendations:
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
First get a little education, this could be from the web or your local library.
Second, visit several stores, listen to the pitchs and leave when you encounter BS or answers that don't make sense and they can't explain in detail.
Third, look for lab reports and I do prefer GIA or AGS.
Forth, call your BBB to see what problems they have had (if any), and find out how long they have been in business.
Fifth, deal with the owner if possible.
Six, ask friends, but don't count on their advice as all truths, they may not reallyt know what they bought.
Seven, you can shop price on the net if you wish. This will let you at least have a general idea of where you need to be. Be Sure To Understand that the local jeweler should be a little higher, but also provide you services and selection. Use the web just to keep them in line with pricing.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Richbent
smile.gif
Thanks for posting your experience.According to Moediamonds profile Maurice is in Boston, MA.He has been posted from the IP address 66.30.147.39 which belongs to MediaOne.net in New England.Maurice used to violate the rules of this board with self promotions...Richbent, you have exactly the same IP address as Maurice which makes me think you and Maurice are the same person. Not a good practice, you know...
frown.gif
I might be mistaken of course. If so, I apologize in advance.

richbent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the update Leonid.
Sorry, not trying to create any problems for Moe or yourself.
How is this possible having the same ip address?
Is it because I also have the same internet service?
Thanks.
Rich

richbent

Rough_Rock
Hi Leonid,In that case, I would appreciate it if you delete your previous post.
It is highly unfair to discredit someone for having the same internet service provider.
How would you feel if someone did that to you?
Think about it.
In retrospect, I used your services to find what I needed and I am greatly pleased by it.
However, since many dealers do not pay you to advertise for them on Pricescope, that does not allow you to remove any competition.Thanks in advance.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rich, I didn't discredit anyone and apologized in advanced if I'm wrong.Despite of my several private and polite requests to Maurice to refrain from self-promotions on this board he kept doing that. I consider it as insult to Garry, Lawmax, StevL, Oldminer and others who unlike Maurice spend their time here helping and educating consumers without promoting themselves. In one of his private email to me Maurice asked what if a dealer would post as a consumer promoting himself...All that plus identical IP address makes me suspicious. I cannot prove that you and Maurice are the same person. If it isn’t so, I'm sorry for being paranoid but hope it is understandable.leonid

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results