shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking got a simple oval shaped watch face with a diamond bezel

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking at the art deco watches on Esty and while i do like the pics and some videos I am not sure the diamonds ar ereal/ if they will shine bright when worn in person. So, I am looking for modern options where the watch dial has a bezel which is in diamonds. I am not looking for a rolex/omega but I am more interested in a nice, simple, feminine design for a watch face. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Marking place to follow as I would also be interested in something similar. I really want a “dress watch” but I worry about keeping something antique running as I don’t know a good watch maker to do any repairs. I really want a watch that actually WORKS as well as looking pretty. But modern watches lack that delicate diamond-y glamour of vintage.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Fyi have a look on Chrono24. Good watch resource.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my Art Deco diamond watch.
I collect watches!
most Art Deco watches in white metal will be platinum. Most will have Swiss made movements but not a “brand” on the watch face.
The best cocktail watches in my opinion are from the 30s or 60s and will be manual wind watches ie not a quartz battery watch. Back in the day a watch was a major purchase ie 21st or marriage or retirement and the workmanship is outstanding.
If you’re looking at a “cocktail watch” manual wind look at these watch brands Hamilton (US) Elgin (US) Croton (US) Omega and Longines.
circa 1960s watch tend to be 14kt gold. Check the watch band, many are gold fill not solid gold. Affects the price obviously if not solid gold.
IMG_7647.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marking place to follow as I would also be interested in something similar. I really want a “dress watch” but I worry about keeping something antique running as I don’t know a good watch maker to do any repairs. I really want a watch that actually WORKS as well as looking pretty. But modern watches lack that delicate diamond-y glamour of vintage.

Most quality manual wind watches were looked after because they were a significant purchase at the time. Nearly all my watch collection is manual wind. They all still work and keep reasonable time. Only a few have needed servicing. I have had 70 watches.
that said, they are not waterproof or shockproof so are worn with care and respect.
my favourite are the covered dial ones, they look like a bracelet until you lift the cover to reveal the watch case.

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
This is my Art Deco diamond watch.
I collect watches!
most Art Deco watches in white metal will be platinum. Most will have Swiss made movements but not a “brand” on the watch face.
The best cocktail watches in my opinion are from the 30s or 60s and will be manual wind watches ie not a quartz battery watch. Back in the day a watch was a major purchase ie 21st or marriage or retirement and the workmanship is outstanding.
If you’re looking at a “cocktail watch” manual wind look at these watch brands Hamilton (US) Elgin (US) Croton (US) Omega and Longines.
circa 1960s watch tend to be 14kt gold. Check the watch band, many are gold fill not solid gold. Affects the price obviously if not solid gold.
IMG_7647.jpeg

This is a beautiful watch. I have also seen you have shared other watches too IIRC. Can you please tell us if these diamonds actually shine enough to show any sparkle when not worn in candle light? My guess is a lot of these truly art deco watches from the era were made with OEC diamonds and don't have much sparkle unless in a certain kind of light.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Most quality manual wind watches were looked after because they were a significant purchase at the time. Nearly all my watch collection is manual wind. They all still work and keep reasonable time. Only a few have needed servicing. I have had 70 watches.
that said, they are not waterproof or shockproof so are worn with care and respect.
my favourite are the covered dial ones, they look like a bracelet until you lift the cover to reveal the watch case.

Oh that’s really interesting. I also love the bracelet ones. I think I might put one on the list for my 50th.

I’ve looked around an awful lot but just never found exactly what I like in my budget. I do find a dirty face puts me off many of the old vintage or antique watches. I know it’s all “patina” which shows the antiquity etc. but I just want to give them a good scrub with dettol!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds in my watches all sparkle.
There are “cheaper” watches with illusion set diamonds around the face but I don’t buy them. They are blah.
The higher spec watches from the better brands use great quality diamonds and the attention to workmanship in Art Deco watches especially is astounding.
my art deco watch has every watch band link with milligram detail.
my Current favourite is my Longines. This is actually a Men’s watch, most ladies watches have smaller faces. The Longines is circa 1960 / 70s.
IMG_2355.jpeg IMG_7580.jpeg

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 since you know a lot about Art Deco watches, does this seem like a good one? No info on it yet (waiting for metal type/approx carats/movement) but being offered for $2100. Is that a decent price?
IMG_4914.jpeg
Thank you!

@worldtraveler101 sorry for hijacking your thread! Good luck on your search!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love oval watches! I don’t own any, but I’ve hunted for them too.

If you’re looking for a modern watch with a vintage feel, the Cartier Baignoire is definitely a lovely watch. They are Quartz movements, not sure if that matters.

IMG_7036.jpeg

I’m not sure what your budget is. I’d also look at Franck Mueller and Bedat for vintage feel but modern time pieces. Check out Chrono24, many ladies watches can be bought at a steep discount “preloved”

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a mini in white gold for under $7k

Mini in rose gold under 7k

A small in rose gold for $12k

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Bedat doesn’t do a classic oval shape that I know of, but they have many fun styles that harken back to art deco and it’s a lower price point for a great Swiss time piece

Franck Muller does a lot of “tonneau” watches which is a good keyword for you in your search.

Cartier, Vacheron, Patek Phillipe…many of them do tonneau watches. To me they are gorgeous and the curved profile makes for a lovely watch! Set your budget first. I’ve seen this style range from $1k-20k depending on the maker

Here’s a knockout from Cartier…

Vacheron…

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 since you know a lot about Art Deco watches, does this seem like a good one? No info on it yet (waiting for metal type/approx carats/movement) but being offered for $2100. Is that a decent price?
IMG_4914.jpeg
Thank you!

@worldtraveler101 sorry for hijacking your thread! Good luck on your search!

Sorry I’ve been MIA ha ha.
If the watch and band are platinum or 18ct, $2,100 is an ok price just so long as the watch is working and keeping reasonable time. If the watch isn’t working I’d pass. You‘ll need an old school watchmaker with his boxes of spares to repair it, if it can, and the cost might make your eyes water.
With the chain link bands, they are adjustable but again the clasp mechanism has to be in working condition and you want photos of all the band to check for breaks in links and/or repairs.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I came across this beautiful watch on Etsy today. May be close to what you're looking for. From the pictures, it seems to sparkle beautiful and it's very reasonably priced.
:

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I’ve been MIA ha ha.
If the watch and band are platinum or 18ct, $2,100 is an ok price just so long as the watch is working and keeping reasonable time. If the watch isn’t working I’d pass. You‘ll need an old school watchmaker with his boxes of spares to repair it, if it can, and the cost might make your eyes water.
With the chain link bands, they are adjustable but again the clasp mechanism has to be in working condition and you want photos of all the band to check for breaks in links and/or repairs.

Thanks so much for the info @Bron357 ! It’s working and the mesh bracelet is intact/clasp functional. The movement is a Paul Ditisheim, Solvil Switzerland, 16-jewel movement with four adjustments. Platinum case, gold-filled band. I understand the price may be a bit high for those stats…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results