shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for your well educated opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Motownmatt

Rough_Rock
First of all, I like this site a lot. I came to it after reading the Fred Cuellar book and trying to fill some of the holes in his info. Thanks for the heads up on him. Anyhow, here is the stone I''m looking at. What is your opinion and can you give me any questions to ask the jeweler. The jeweler, BTW, is a family friend of a friend who bought his ring there. Even though there is a connection, I still want to approach this as if I never met the guy. Ok, the stone;

Round
6.5-6.95x3.9
1.01 Carat
Color E
Clarity SI1
Symmetry V Good
Polish Very Good
Girdle Med
$5200
EGL

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Matt

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/13/2003 10:32
6.gif
4 AM Motownmatt wrote:
First of all, I like this site a lot. I came to it after reading the Fred Cuellar book and trying to fill some of the holes in his info. Thanks for the heads up on him. Anyhow, here is the stone I'm looking at. What is your opinion and can you give me any questions to ask the jeweler. The jeweler, BTW, is a family friend of a friend who bought his ring there. Even though there is a connection, I still want to approach this as if I never met the guy. Ok, the stone;

Round
6.5-6.95x3.9
1.01 Carat
Color E
Clarity SI1
Symmetry V Good
Polish Very Good
Girdle Med
$5200
EGL

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Matt----------------
Matt......I'd be concerned on this stone because it appears to be horribly out of round if your dimensions are correct....6.5mm - 6.95mm. That's a huge difference.

Go to Price Stats here, 1.0-1.49 ct, select E, si-1 under the H&A block.....you will see a dozen or so diamonds that are comparably priced that appear to be much better quality.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I think (and hope) he meant 6.50 - 6.59...

I would be careful with an EGL SI 1 rating...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm lets hope he meant .59...Matt?

Otherwise I second AL's thoughts...that stone is NOT round!!

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Motownmatt

If you look here on pricescope for 1.01 E SI1 with GIA cert, you will find over 80 1.01 E SI1 diamonds with GIA not EGL papers, AND most of them cost a couple of hundred dollars less! If you get an EGL E SI1 for $5200 you might be buying an F SI2 for $5200.

Motownmatt

Rough_Rock
Oooooops...typos, sorry.
6.5-6.45x3.9
And it is GIA. I had cpoied and pasted something and forgot to change it. Thanks for the feedback. I hope this makes a bit more sense.
Matt

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the grading is correct, it all depends on the cut how good a deal it is.

If it's an AGA Class 1 cut, it's a SUPER deal.

If it's an AGA Class 2 cut, it's a very good deal.

If it's an AGA Class 3 cut, it's an "okey-dokey" deal.

We would need some more specifics to help you better. If you can get this additional info, it would be a great help:

Fluorescence
Table size
Crown height & angle
Pavilion depth & angle
Culet size
Type, size, positioning and color of inclusions
Which EGL lab issued the cert

You would want to have a second opinion from an independent gemologist regarding the grading. EGL is often dead on the money, but you would want to make sure this stone is not one of the exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results