shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Trellis setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaggerman

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I''ve been lurking for almost 2 months now. The question I pose to all of the knowledgable individuals here is I''m looking for a Trellis/X-prong/Cross Prong setting in 18k white gold for an asscher cut diamond I will be purchasing which I hope to be around .75 carats. I was planning to purchase my diamond and setting thru whiteflash but with the recent spike in their gold prices $1150 for the setting I cannot afford. I have a budget of around 3,000-4,500 and I dont want almost 1/3 of the cost going towards the setting. I guess in short( I know this wasn''t short) I want to know where I can get a good quality 18k setting for my asscher that wont cost an arm and a leg? thanks to all in advance for your thoughts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? I'd go to a couple of local reputable retailers and see that they have in stock. That would probably be your cheapest option. Settings, I've found, are cheaper at local shops. Nothing fancy that carries a ton of designers. Just a local retputable shop that's been in business for a a while and has a decent selection. If your anywhere near DE, PA, or NJ I can give you a couple of suggestions (especially if your near DE)... otherwise search for suggestions OR use your common sense, the BBB website and a phone book.
2.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Is there any chance that gold and Plat will go back down? This increase just destroyed the point of the last couple of months worth of saving. Jaggerman, might you consider asking them to do the setting in 14k gold? I know that''s what we''re going to have to consider now.
29.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly 18K doesn''t make sense with white gold. It''s yellower, and softer, and therefore more likely to need replating and a little more prone to dings-- I have three rings in 18K white... but chose 14K for my trellis. My setting (a trellis, actually that I would sell you in a heartbeat if it wasn''t still attached to my diamond and too big for your stone).. when you look at it next to an 18k (they had one there at the same time) they are identical. IMO, it''s a silly waste of money with the cost of gold right now to get 18K. No one will know but you. Just make sure that the workmanship is fine (for some reason a couple of the 14K''s we were looking at were chunkier-- probably for the price increase for weight) and go for it. When we bought mine the price of gold was very reasonable... and like I said, we still went for the 14K. *shrugs*

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
that's interesting about your 18K gold yellowing. I have not had any problems with my 18K whitegold even changing a tiny bit but my 14K WG 5mm wedding band I wear 24/7 has yellow coming through so it almost looks like yellow gold
40.gif
I hate it but it's not even worth the $ to spend to replate since I wear it to do everything including swimming.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is strange, huh? Yeah, my 18K''s-- one in particular that I wore quite a bit before my engagement ring was a pain-- this one''s been fine for the last 3 years... I am thinking of getting it with a satin finish though when I re-set it with the zircon. Not sure how that will change performance-- but I won''t be wearing it everyday so it won''t matter.

Also see the thread about WG vs. Platinum. Strm posted about WG types that never need replating. THAT would be worth looking into. Especially the 14K-- if you''ve budgetted for 18K... I would definately see about a WG that doesn''t need replating.

jaggerman

Rough_Rock
thanks for the tips, I did actually call a local jeweler today to get a quote for the custom setting with mounting. The quote given was actually lower than the price whiteflash had originally for the setting. So I''m now planning to buy a loose stone and then have it set locally which now allows me to spend a bit more on the diamond. thanks for the good advice.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sounds good. Just make sure you check out examples of their custom work before making a committment. Someone else on here had a recent bad expirience with a local custom job. And make sure that the jeweler will take full financial responsibility for your diamond while he/she sets it (in case anything were to happen to it, such as it being damaged or chipped while being set).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results