shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Thin Channel Set Engagement Ring

hilasmos

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for a place like this to learn about rings for several weeks! My gf likes the Ritani 2486 ring, but it is out of my price range, so I'm trying to find something similar and could use some help. I'm looking for a channel set ring that is narrow (2mm) because her hands are small. I've found this one that is similar, but I'd like to find one with arches that are more curved like they are on the Ritani. She also wants to have the diamond sitting low on the ring, so I need to stay away from large, long prongs. In addition, she has nickel allergies, so I need to stick with 18k gold or palladium. I'd like to keep the price under $800.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-626.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! You've come to the right place! Do you have the diamond yet? Because we'd be glad to help you find that as well! You do need to have the stone before the setting, because the setting will be made to perfectly fit the stone. I looked up the Ritani ring and just FYI, it is not channel set. WhiteFlash actually has one that is closer to the Ritani than the one you posted:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

I would ask them if it could be made in palladium even though it is not listed on the site. Or ask if they have a white gold with an alloy that is not nickel (there is such a thing as palladium white gold, for example). Even though this setting is a little more than your $800, I have to tell you that you aren't going to get a diamond setting of good quality for less than this. It is considerably less than the Ritani, I am sure, from looking at those settings in the past. Unfortunately, all jewelry metals are sky high right now, so rings are just going to be expensive.

hilasmos

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the store suggestions and the quick information, but now you've stirred up another question.

First, I do not have a diamond yet. I thought finding the right setting would be the hard part so I was trying to tackle that first, but I'm thinking abt something VS2-SI2, G-H, around 0.65 ct, and cut very well so it will sparkle nicely.

Could you tell me the difference between the Ritani setting and a channel set? All I know is that she liked the ones with a few diamonds enclosed in the band and not the ones where the diamonds were fully exposed. I can also go with a ring that has fewer diamonds set towards the top instead of going over half way down like the one you posted above if that will help.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you can get what you want for under $800 :blackeye:

The ritani setting is bead set pave, in a channel. Slightly different style than a true channel set ring, where the diamonds are set between two bands of metal. Look at the Sholdt I posted and the ring DS posted for an impression of the difference. Channel set is hardier.

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
where do you live? Maybe some local places can be of assistance....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to what Dreamer said, channel set will have spaces between the stones when round stones are set in the channel. But Ritani and the WhiteFlash ring are both bead-set. They have little tiny beads of metal holding the stones securely and there are no open spaces between the stones to collect grime, etc. So the WF ring is closest to what you want.

Let me look quick at their diamonds. I have bought earring diamonds from them twice and they do have great stones, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here are a couple of examples within your preferred specs:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618033.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618024.htm

Please note that there is an additional small discount if you tell them that you are a PriceScope member.

I probably should have asked your total budget before looking. Are these in line with the amount you were thinking for the diamond?

I really think it is best to get a setting where you buy the diamond because they accept responsibility for the stone while being set. Then it comes to you ready to be added to insurance.

hilasmos

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1305157694|2919125 said:
I don't think you can get what you want for under $800 :blackeye:

That may be true, but I appreciate y'all helping me look at the options. Is there something specific that makes the ring that I posted so much cheaper than the others that have been posted? I know the Ritani name has much to do with the expense of that ring, but I'm not understanding the $500 difference between the one I posted and the one diamondseeker posted from the same website. The second one has more diamonds, but not that many more. Still, it's cheaper than the Ritani!

There were also several nice rings on the Sholdt page, so I'll have to show them to her to see what she thinks.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305157694|2919125 said:
I don't think you can get what you want for under $800

I think he can, because luckily it's a pretty easy/common setting to find! Hilasmos, you should check out www.adiamor.com or www.eternitydiamonds.com or www.jamesallen.com for very affordable settings that will be similar to the Ritani. Also, the first Whiteflash setting you posted is very nice as well. Good luck with your search!! :)

hilasmos

Rough_Rock
Gibson486|1305157964|2919126 said:
where do you live? Maybe some local places can be of assistance....

I live in Louisville, KY. I've visited Shane Co., and they only offered 14k gold and platinum, so we dropped them. We also visited Genesis Diamonds, which is where we found the Ritani. We'll probably go back there and see what else we can find, but I wanted to see online options first.

hilasmos

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305158370|2919133 said:
I probably should have asked your total budget before looking. Are these in line with the amount you were thinking for the diamond?

I definitely want to keep the diamond below $1800, but $1600 is better for my budget, so those two are in the right range. Y'all are amazing!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hilasmos, I did some browsing; here are two Ritani-esque setting from Eternity Diamonds that might fit the bill:

ritani similar.jpg

ritani 2.jpg

hilasmos

Rough_Rock
I found the right ring locally yesterday. It is a 14k white gold without nickel, channel set that is very similar in design to the one diamondseeker posted at the top of the thread. They wanted $795 for it, so the price was right. We ended up mounting a .61 ct SI1 H or I color diamond in it for $1300. They showed my gf several stones ranging from .61 to .70 with different coloring and my gf didn't care which one we got, so we used the smaller diamond. She was very pleased when we picked it all out, so I'm happy with the purchase. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results