shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for someone to re-cut modern cushions into vintage style

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know of anyone who might be able to do this? I have 2 modern cushions I'd like to recut into a vintage style.

All suggestions appreciated!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang mrs-b, everything you do is so interesting and always worth following along to!
Here's my uneducated thoughts.
You've dealt with Yoram before, so I'm assuming you've already considered him.
August Vintage as well.
LAD/JbG/OWD/Parks surely have their fingers on someone that clean up girdles probably could (would?) do this also.
I don't know if the Daniel Stair/Jerry Newman / Ryan Quantz type group do diamonds?
I think insurance on the stones is going to be the sticky part?

Interesting.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jeff White has cut some beautiful antique-style coloured stones. He may be worth a try. I’m pretty sure it was him who cut Ds’s yellow sapphire but I can’t remember off the top of my head if that was a cushion. There’s a chunky red zircon on his site at the moment that I desperately want!

ETA - I’ve just registered that you specifically said diamonds and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen those from him. Is there a technical reason why cutting skills might be different for those, I wonder?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
None of the colored stones cutters does diamonds... Different worlds.

I wonder if David of DBL might work out a trade-in; I see many OMC revivals around there & there ought to come from some breeding grounds, somewhere. (chances are I am dreamin' nonsense!)

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
How many pavilion main facets do the stones have?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps Yoram would take this project on? He's super talented.
Then there is Adam at OWD. His bench is good and this might be something right up their alley.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please let us know the outcome. This is a great question.

Have you talked to David Klass to see if his uber cutter would take on such a project?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy :wavey:

I've contacted Yoram as I've done a couple of projects with him, but am not sure if this is his thing. What he normally does is take old stones, tidy them up, but leave them with an old world feel. He doesn't do ideal light performance a la the August Vintage sort of finish. Whether he'd do modern stones and recut them to vintage specs, I have no idea, tho I doubt it.

I've contacted Jon and Yoram to see if either is interested in this, and will try Adam next. Does he do recuts? I had no idea.

Thank you for this info!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy :wavey:

I've contacted Yoram as I've done a couple of projects with him, but am not sure if this is his thing. What he normally does is take old stones, tidy them up, but leave them with an old world feel. He doesn't do ideal light performance a la the August Vintage sort of finish. Whether he'd do modern stones and recut them to vintage specs, I have no idea, tho I doubt it.

I've contacted Jon and Yoram to see if either is interested in this, and will try Adam next. Does he do recuts? I had no idea.

Thank you for this info!

You’re welcome and I hope one of them will be able to assist you in this exciting project. :appl:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TheGemDoctor is the father of CJD-Sako, Cicada Jewelry. He restores and cuts antique style stones. You might want to see if he does this type of thing, he’s in LA, I think.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmjVJ8KBTF8/

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I had LAD make a band with french cuts, we initially were not sure that the parcel of antique stones that I purchased from her would be enough for the design that we were going for. At the time she had a cutter that was able to reproduce the antique cut. They might be able to convert your stones to an antique cut faceting. But that being said I really have no idea how a recut compares to cutting from rough as afar as the technique.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On another note, if you have cushion modified brilliants or the X-type faceting, it may not be possible to convert without losing a lot of the weight because the pavilion would need to be altered so much.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
He doesn't do ideal light performance a la the August Vintage sort of finish.

GemConcepts @diagem does several cut models with distinctive optical properties, but no one seems to be paying attention to them. They are technically obvious - which is to say, perfectly invisible...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ - I've contacted Yoram and Jon already - they were my first 2 cabs off the rank - but would rather not link cutters to this page as I'm reaching out to multiple people and have a specific mental order of people I'm hoping to work with and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I also don't need to call cutters' attention to this page as I'm reaching out to them via email.

The danger of a public forum, I suppose.

Reactions: AV_

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GemConcepts @diagem does several cut models with distinctive optical properties, but no one seems to be paying attention to them. They are technically obvious - which is to say, perfectly invisible...

Yes, if I recall correctly, Yoram/Gem Concepts helped Jonathan in cutting the August Vintage Cushion, which was the first antique style cut optimized for for light return. (Someone might recall better)

Mrs. B, I think if you want to cut optically perfect antique style cushions out of existing modern cuts that might be a tall order. Traditional antique cuts were not designed for the type of optimal light return that AVCs have so the cutting skills would need to be a higher order still (as you know, Victor Canera also has an optically perfect antique style line). My understanding is that the optically perfect modern antique cuts are studied to the point of them being proprietary. So I highly doubt most cutters could execute them, and I highly doubt one that -can- would do a one-off for an individual. But you should definitely keep asking.

I recently found out about the cutter that Grace, Walton’s, CVB, and Anup use for technical cuts, just from another post here. It’s “The Gem Doctor”, he’s referenced a lot by his son “Sako” at Cicada Jewelry in Los Angeles. I think I’d talk to him also. He does plausible antique cuts. And technically excellent work. But I don’t know about “optically perfect”. I do think he would be a good resource to talk to though. Good luck.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Hi Mrs B, I hope you can find someone to do it, it would be a journey I would love to see. I would love to cut my MRB into a OEC so I will watch and see if you find someone.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Tekate - I'll let you know!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The danger of a public forum, I suppose.

... & I see your post long after any edit is possible. Likely the news has flown too.
Will keep in mind!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Dear @mrs-b , did you end up finding a cutter? I have asked yoram and he doesn't recut :(

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lessics -

No, I didn't. I ended up selling them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results