shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for some input before pulling the trigger

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cambo

Rough_Rock
First of all, a sincere thanks to PriceScope and everyone on this forum. This is my first post, but I''ve been lurking here for quite a while and have tried to absorb as much information as possible. I''m in the process of looking for an engagement ring that I''m going to surprise my girlfriend with while we''re on vacation later this year. This is what I''m currently considering:

RB 6.56x6.57x3.96
AGS Triple Ideal J SI1 1.014 cts.
Negligible Fluorescence
Total Depth: 60.4%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.7
Girdle: .9-1.4%
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Culet: Pointed
HCA: .9 ex-ex-ex-vg
Brilliance Scope:
-white light: VH
-color: VH+
-scintilliation: H/VH
$4238.52

I''m told there are two small white crystals underneath the table and two small feathers near the girdle but that the diamond is totally eye-clean and faces up very white.

By and large, I''m reasonably satisfied that this diamond strikes the balance I was looking for between quality and size given my budget. The only thing that gives me any pause at all is the J color grade. I''ve not had a chance to see an ideal cut J graded diamond in person. I have however seen ideal cut G, H, and I diamonds, and to be perfectly honest, it was pretty difficult for me to discern the difference... especially amongst diamonds that were already mounted, like I saw at Tiffany for example. Do you think I should be concerned about the J grade at all? Would you consider this a pretty decent bargain? From all the research and price checking I''ve done, this seems like a pretty decent find, but I would also like to hear what the more experienced people here on the forum have to say.

Thanks in advance for the responses. I look forward to reading them!I''m also going to try and post some pictures. We''ll see how that works out.

cambo

Rough_Rock
magnified view

web 246925m.jpg

cambo

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on the length of those splits in the cleft of the hearts?

web246925h.jpg

cambo

Rough_Rock
The arrows

web246925a2.jpg

cambo

Rough_Rock
This appears to be one of the best IdealScope images I've seen of the diamonds I've considered so far, nice and red. What do you think?

web 246925is.jpg

cambo

Rough_Rock
Last one... the crystals under the table

web 246925mag.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would be more concerned with the color than those heart clefts!!!

What about just going AGS0 and getting a knock-out "white" color?

IMO, I would see the J color before I'd see the diff between an AGS0 and AGS000! If you get B-scope results, very high is very high, whether they call it 0 or 000.

Just my .02

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
We bought a J AGS0 H&A that is stunning. It's very bright but not icy cool like a D/E.

I think you made a good choice. If you are buying from GOG, call them up and ask their opinion on the color and whether it's a high J or low J.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great. "J" color is great value for the money. Some people are a little more sensitive to color than others, but all people should be seeing with this stone is the amazing light return. You're not going to get a near white, eye-clean, one carat stone with a great cut for any less $.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
That stone sounds absolutely yummy!
lickout.gif

There have been a ton of posts on J color diamonds. Basically it comes down to a personal choice - i LUV well-cut I/Js
love.gif

If you couldn't tell much dif btwn G-I, i honestly don't believe you'll have a problem w an ideal J
1.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I would drop the weight to a .9 something to avoid the 1 carat mark-up and get a higher color. No offense to J-lovers, but that's when most people will definitely see some color.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I think that stone looks absolutely spectacular!
love.gif

I'm a colorless kinda gal myself, but the ideal cut Js I've seen are really beautiful. I think that as long as you're not looking for that "iciness" you'll be thrilled with this. Especially if you've already looked at well-cut G-H-I-J stones and can't tell much difference.

Congrats on a fantastic find. That IS image is to DIE for!
appl.gif

uclaure

Rough_Rock
Great analogy Rich
naughty.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, welcome to pricescope! I hope you stick around for the fun.
1.gif

If you did some eye comparing for yourself and say you are not so discerning to color, I would go for it in a heartbeat. A well cut stone will mask color several notches, while still having plenty of sparkle. Another thing to consider is, how do you plan to set this stone? If it is in a white setting (white gold or platinum) then you will be just fine. The stone looks like a true winner. Good luck with your decision & please keep us posted.

~kmom
wavey.gif

diamonewbie

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/26/2004 8:55:37 PM phoenixgirl wrote:

I think it looks great. 'J' color is great value for the money. Some people are a little more sensitive to color than others, but all people should be seeing with this stone is the amazing light return. You're not going to get a near white, eye-clean, one carat stone with a great cut for any less $.----------------

Not true! I just did, and for a great deal less. It's not an ideal cut, but it scores a 2.0 HCA and shines like the sun. But, perhaps I was just lucky. Have you considered a J with medium to maybe even strong blue fluorescence? Also, if you venture just outside of the ideal depth/table, you can still find a great cut and save money too (and/or get a bigger rock). You might have to gamble like I did and make sure they have a return policy!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Richard, Cambo had the decency to post pictures to make his point, how about it?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results