shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for some guidance on an engagement ring.

jsasdasn

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. I am new to diamonds and I am trying to do some research. I went to a jeweler and basically he brought in a 1.93 carat VS1, round, F, for $5900 out the door with the setting/taxes included. I did some research and found Ritani has way better prices than the jeweler so I thought about going that route instead. I can look at diamonds on Ritani and see basic things like VVS2, color F, ideal cut, and 2.03 carat. What I am unaware of is what else to look at. I know the angles/length of the diamond are important but I do not know how to interpret them.

I am looking for a Lab grown diamond around 2.0 carats that is round and will shine/sparkle. I have attached one that I am looking at but I am unsure of how to fully gauge if its will shine like others I have seen/if there is a better option around there for the right price. The price of this 2.03 carat diamond is $1885.00. I have attached the IGI report.

My budget is $4500 for diamond(around 2 carat) and ring(simple setting(solitaire)) and I am looking for at least a VS1 and F and round.
Any guidance or recommendations of other diamonds are appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Lab Diamond1.pdf
    488.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, the experts will come along later no doubt.
My comment relates to your intended.
Not everyone is ”on board” with lab grown diamonds, preferring natural from the earth. Have you sounded out your fiancé to be on this matter?
And the other thing about engagement rings, sometimes women / men have a very firm idea of what they want their engagement ring to be. Some prefer a particular shape diamond, other don’t want a diamond at all.
Because it’s such an important and expensive purchase it’s best to know if your fiancé has any preferences.
congratulations in any regard.

jsasdasn

Rough_Rock
Hi, the experts will come along later no doubt.
My comment relates to your intended.
Not everyone is ”on board” with lab grown diamonds, preferring natural from the earth. Have you sounded out your fiancé to be on this matter?
And the other thing about engagement rings, sometimes women / men have a very firm idea of what they want their engagement ring to be. Some prefer a particular shape diamond, other don’t want a diamond at all.
Because it’s such an important and expensive purchase it’s best to know if your fiancé has any preferences.
congratulations in any regard.

Initially we were not open to lab grown diamonds but after we went to 3 different jewelers and saw that what we wanted in a natural diamond would have been way over budget, I did some research and basically presented lab grown to her and she was open to it. At first she thought they were just fake pieces of glass but I showed her some videos. We saw some in the jewelry stores and then agreed that that is the way we could go.
Also from visiting the 3 different jewelers together I was able to find out what ring style she likes and size she is. She just wants a simple ring so I felt like I could do it online.

Thank you for your concern as I know this is a big part of life and I want to make the right decision.

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 7.16.39 AM.png

jsasdasn

Rough_Rock
This one got a 9.1 cut score on stone algo. It's $1921.00 on ritani.
Not sure how to interpret other than this.

Thanks

tempImageGDb5jY.png

Attachments

• 9.1 on stonealgo.pdf
    489.5 KB · Views: 119

ElsieW

Rough_Rock
What I am unaware of is what else to look at. I know the angles/length of the diamond are important but I do not know how to interpret them.
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! I am sure the experts will come on soon and give you some stone options and feedback on the one you have posted, but here are the notes I have found on the best angles from reading other threads.

"Here are the dimensions that you should be searching within:
Depth: 60-62.3%
Crown Angle: 34-35 (35.5 works with 40.6 PA)
Pavilion Angle: 40.6-41 (40.6 works best with 35 or 35.5 CA, 41 with 34 CA)
Table: 54-57% (or 58% in certain diamonds)"

Last edited:

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I'm not one of the experts on this forum, but my immediate thought is that this CVD LGD has significant straining?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not one of the experts on this forum, but my immediate thought is that this CVD LGD has significant straining?

Yes, way too many striations. At this size, it should be fairly easy to find an HPHT.

jsasdasn

Rough_Rock
Yes, way too many striations. At this size, it should be fairly easy to find an HPHT.

Hey Kim, I've been doing a little research and see that you pick out good diamonds on this forum. Would you have any recommendations? Basically looking for 1.9-2.05 carat, VS1-VVS2, F or E, would like it to look shiny/sparkle, and im assuming a HPHT which I recently figured out what that meant. Budget is $4500. I recently found out about the angles/proportions but am unsure of what to look at next other than getting a cut score on StoneAlgo.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Kim, I've been doing a little research and see that you pick out good diamonds on this forum. Would you have any recommendations? Basically looking for 1.9-2.05 carat, VS1-VVS2, F or E, would like it to look shiny/sparkle, and im assuming a HPHT which I recently figured out what that meant. Budget is $4500. I recently found out about the angles/proportions but am unsure of what to look at next other than getting a cut score on StoneAlgo.

I would pass on both stones that you posted. Here are a few for you to look at. The first one is my favorite.

Don't worry about the cut score on StoneAlgo. Even the HCA is used only as a rejection tool. We look at the proportions, videos, and (when available) ASET images to help determine the cut quality.

jsasdasn

Rough_Rock
I would pass on both stones that you posted. Here are a few for you to look at. The first one is my favorite.

Don't worry about the cut score on StoneAlgo. Even the HCA is used only as a rejection tool. We look at the proportions, videos, and (when available) ASET images to help determine the cut quality.

Looks like the first 2 options were swiped before I could really consider them and the 3rd option might be too big. I don't want to bother you Kim but if you have any other recommendations, I would appreciate them and hopefully they don't get swiped before I make the final decision/do research on them.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @jsasdasn, there’s no such thing as too big. Most people on here will tell you that DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) sets in pretty quickly after getting the ring. That size is lovely, without being over flashy if that’s what you’re worried about.

jsasdasn

Rough_Rock
Honestly @jsasdasn, there’s no such thing as too big. Most people on here will tell you that DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) sets in pretty quickly after getting the ring. That size is lovely, without being over flashy if that’s what you’re worried about.

Im considering it, my gf and I went and tried on different carat sizes for her and she came to the conclusion that she likes around the 1.9-2.1 carat mark.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like the first 2 options were swiped before I could really consider them and the 3rd option might be too big. I don't want to bother you Kim but if you have any other recommendations, I would appreciate them and hopefully they don't get swiped before I make the final decision/do research on them.

I still really like the 2.18 I posted earlier. I suggest putting the ones you like on hold right away while you're still considering them.

This one is tilted in the video, but could still be good.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think the .08 will make a difference. I like the 2.18. Great crown height!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for the 2.18

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others: snag that 2.18 and call it done.

...I've been recommending that one to many folks on Reddit that are shopping in the sub-$3000 range. It's a heck of a deal!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Re the setting you posted, in case you haven't noticed, quite often the prongs around the diamond will be white gold even when the rest of the ring is yellow gold. The white gold "disappears" around the diamond whereas yellow gold prongs stand out more. Just an FYI.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I like white for the prongs on a gold band.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you. Can't wait to see your photos/videos IRL

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond looks like an icy chunk of perfect.
That's got be one heck of a fireball!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results