shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for pretty gemstone and very lost

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Okay - stone got delayed because of course it did. That's how my life goes.
That said, the first photo I attached is a photo I had a seller draw up for the stone. It's simple and I love it so much - but then since seeing that adding something sparkly might help make the ring more sparkly, I've fallen in love with three stone option with baguettes. My question is is it possible to have a three stone like the second photo linked and still have the stone look good and not black out?!

ring1.jpg ring2.jpg

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 22

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Sure you can!
The only thing I would suggest you shouldn't do is a closed bezel set around the center stone. The side stones will make a nice frame of subtle sparkle to the main event.
You have prong setting, so that's not a worry. It'll be grand! :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just jump in and say I absolutely LOVE the way you’ve approached buying this stone and how you’ve interacted with everybody. You’ve been so upfront and honest about what you want and don’t know - it’s so refreshing!

I have to admit that I love the first and second stones (the one that TL linked to) and you may be pleasantly surprised. Some darker gems (especially with spinels) can sparkle and so although the stone is dark it’s still really interesting.

You’ve mentioned a 3 stone and I’ve just had a darkish blue/grey stone set like that. The sparkle is phenomenal and although I’m not typically a darker gemstone lover, this is one of my favourite rings. Here’s a photo of it so you can see a 3 stone version.

I can’t wait to hear how you feel about your stone when it arrives.

9D1300F4-0ABB-4F42-87A5-5A8C41D8801E.jpeg

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Can I just jump in and say I absolutely LOVE the way you’ve approached buying this stone and how you’ve interacted with everybody. You’ve been so upfront and honest about what you want and don’t know - it’s so refreshing!

I have to admit that I love the first and second stones (the one that TL linked to) and you may be pleasantly surprised. Some darker gems (especially with spinels) can sparkle and so although the stone is dark it’s still really interesting.

You’ve mentioned a 3 stone and I’ve just had a darkish blue/grey stone set like that. The sparkle is phenomenal and although I’m not typically a darker gemstone lover, this is one of my favourite rings. Here’s a photo of it so you can see a 3 stone version.

I can’t wait to hear how you feel about your stone when it arrives.

9D1300F4-0ABB-4F42-87A5-5A8C41D8801E.jpeg
First of all that ring is STUNNNNNING. Wow! I absolutely love that. This may have just fully swayed me to a three stone setting!
And thank you - I certainly know where I am best to defer to people with way more experience than me! I am like a fish out of water here as a non-jewelry wearer and truly can't thank the people who have replied in this thread enough as you all have been a huge help to me!

Sure you can!
The only thing I would suggest you shouldn't do is a closed bezel set around the center stone. The side stones will make a nice frame of subtle sparkle to the main event.
You have prong setting, so that's not a worry. It'll be grand! :))
Yes! I will definitely not be doing a bezel - the second photo was just a random one I liked. I am going to get the setting from the same person who created the drawing of the first regardless of if I go with the first or with a three stone!

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Okay so the stone arrived Thursday - it is dark but it has SPARKLE and is clearly wine colored even in dark lighting. It in no way blacks out and Gary's videos and photo in hand were *very* true to how the stone looks to me, a person who knows nothing. I don't have any great photos or videos of it because I have no idea how to make it look as lovely in photos as it does in real life and I'm still torn between a solitaire setting with a sparkly band or a setting with some side sparkle. Thank you to you lovely folks for taking time to help me out. I couldn't be happier with the purchase!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so the stone arrived Thursday - it is dark but it has SPARKLE and is clearly wine colored even in dark lighting. It in no way blacks out and Gary's videos and photo in hand were *very* true to how the stone looks to me, a person who knows nothing. I don't have any great photos or videos of it because I have no idea how to make it look as lovely in photos as it does in real life and I'm still torn between a solitaire setting with a sparkly band or a setting with some side sparkle. Thank you to you lovely folks for taking time to help me out. I couldn't be happier with the purchase!

Yayyy so happy for you!!! Porsse keep us posted on your decision for setting

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That's wonderful news! Can't wait to see what you decide.:bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pleased for you! Make sure you put it between two fingers (to simulate a setting) and then check the stone in all lights. Some stones will black out in certain lights. I don’t think yours will but it’s worth checking before you invest in a setting.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that you have the stone and it isn't in danger of lurkers snapping it up, can you reveal who the vendor is? I don't recognize the pics.

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Now that you have the stone and it isn't in danger of lurkers snapping it up, can you reveal who the vendor is? I don't recognize the pics.

Hahaha of course! It's from Gary at FineWaterGems!

Also, I am going to set it this way because I am ~obsessed~ with the fact that this still looks very subtle and solitary while adding some side sparkles:
(plz excuse my crappy photoshop - I was trying to show my mom what it would look like set and now don't have the original of the setting haha)

Oh - I am an idiot. I actually posted this setting above as a possible option. I am hoping that Amcor Designs will be able to create this setting for me as they drew up with original solitaire design. I am just waiting to hear back - I am dying to wear it now that I've decided on a setting!

ringsetting.jpg

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha of course! It's from Gary at FineWaterGems!

Also, I am going to set it this way because I am ~obsessed~ with the fact that this still looks very subtle and solitary while adding some side sparkles:
(plz excuse my crappy photoshop - I was trying to show my mom what it would look like set and now don't have the original of the setting haha)

Oh - I am an idiot. I actually posted this setting above as a possible option. I am hoping that Amcor Designs will be able to create this setting for me as they drew up with original solitaire design. I am just waiting to hear back - I am dying to wear it now that I've decided on a setting!

ringsetting.jpg

Bear in mind that baguettes are not the sparkliest diamond cut. I think they are well suited to your stone, since both baguettes and emerald cuts are in the same cut family, and I love the long lines. They will send out white and colored flashes of light, but they won't glitter and sparkle the way round diamonds do. So if you want really sparkly sides, you'd do better with melee or round side stones.

If it were me, I would stick to the baguettes even though they're not the sparkliest. That is going to be one elegant ring!

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
well well well.. I was looking around and found the PERFECT set for myself. It’s going to be solitaire set like I wanted originally and the band will be this:

11FEB0F9-0E16-437F-95AE-F054DD1AC5BA.jpeg 686C08C7-A7AD-419F-A5C8-BAB8D645EDAC.jpeg

so now the waiting game for them to be made and shipped and set. Hopefully I can wear it sooner rather than later because I am officially very excited.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Must. Post. Many. Pictures!

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
You are all going to be incredibly sick of me posting so I apologize in advance and thanks to anybody who replies HAHA.

After many, many people either stopping responding or telling me that they didn't have the time right now for custom work - I found someone who can make the setting and the matching band. I am just curious if this price for a solitaire setting seems high? Why is it higher than the price of the band with the additional stones? I know nothing and do not want to reply to her and come across as not valuing her time and skill - I do! I was just previously quoted by Amcor Designs on Etsy $400CAD for the setting (not including shipping and duty at the border) so $880CAD seems wild in terms of being much higher.

Any opinions on what a reasonable price point might be? Is this reasonable? I just don't know enough to even know beyond her work online is lovely, although a lot of bezels and I am wondering if I can ask to see some more prong set stones, and that I want the same maker to make both the setting and the band.

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 9.15.00 PM.png

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Hi, @helpmepickagemstone :wavey:

Would you please give us the link to the etsy shop and/or website for the woman who's given you the $880 CAD quote?

Absolutely - I wasn't sure if I was allowed to include it or not but this is her website:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I correct in thinking Berkeley Brown is not the jeweler offering the rings shown in your post @ #42?

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Am I correct in thinking Berkeley Brown is not the jeweler offering the rings shown in your post @ #42?

Oh no - she isn't. I am so sorry, I just realized I might not have made that clear. The rings in post #42 are from Alexis Russell. I want that style so I showed Berkeley Brown the images as ..inspiration? I'll link to Alexis Russell below.
Alexis Russell doesn't appear to offer the ability to just buy the setting without the stone and I want both my solitaire setting and band to come from the same jeweler.
Also, Berekeley is semi-local and therefore I would be able to get the jewelry quicker, as well as avoid shipping and duty costs associated with importing!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, in all honesty, Alexis Russell's prong work struck me as rather, um, "haphazard," so I think it's fine that she's no longer in the running for this project. But I also see why you are wondering about Berkeley Brown's prong work since there are almost no prong-set pieces on her website.

Please don't feel shy about asking her for "real life" photographs, from different angles, of prong-set rings she's made -- i.e., not CAD (computer-assisted design) renderings. If she gets indignant about your request, that's your clue to walk away from dealing with her. You wouldn't commission a custom-built 2-story Tudor home from a builder who only had ranch style houses in their portfolio ;))

And I'd also ask for some additional info about the process. E.g., on her Custom Jewellery page, she says she will produce detailed drawings for your approval; does she mean pen-and-ink drawings or CAD renderings? (I myself prefer pen-and-ink drawings because I have a tough time "reading" CADs -- I get thrown off by the fact that they are somewhat "chunkier" than the real product, but I think many (most?) PSers prefer CADs). Does she do the casting herself; would she be willing to send you a model (before the casting) to try on?

Would you mind sharing what province you're in and which larger towns/cities you're closest to; I'm thinking that PSers might be able to offer additional suggestions for a jeweler for you.

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Well, in all honesty, Alexis Russell's prong work struck me as rather, um, "haphazard," so I think it's fine that she's no longer in the running for this project. But I also see why you are wondering about Berkeley Brown's prong work since there are almost no prong-set pieces on her website.

Please don't feel shy about asking her for "real life" photographs, from different angles, of prong-set rings she's made -- i.e., not CAD (computer-assisted design) renderings. If she gets indignant about your request, that's your clue to walk away from dealing with her. You wouldn't commission a custom-built 2-story Tudor home from a builder who only had ranch style houses in their portfolio ;))

And I'd also ask for some additional info about the process. E.g., on her Custom Jewellery page, she says she will produce detailed drawings for your approval; does she mean pen-and-ink drawings or CAD renderings? (I myself prefer pen-and-ink drawings because I have a tough time "reading" CADs -- I get thrown off by the fact that they are somewhat "chunkier" than the real product, but I think many (most?) PSers prefer CADs). Does she do the casting herself; would she be willing to send you a model (before the casting) to try on?

Would you mind sharing what province you're in and which larger towns/cities you're closest to; I'm thinking that PSers might be able to offer additional suggestions for a jeweler for you.

Yeah - I love the concept of the Alexis Russell design but those prongs - and, I say this as someone who knows nothing about jewelry - are hideous LOL. I asked for the much less obnoxious stones and also if she could provide more photos of prong set stones!

She, I *think*, uses pen and ink drawings not CAD based on my creep of her Instagram and Facebook. As for casting, we are way out of my league of knowledge for that ahaha

I am in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and so there is Halifax about ~4hrs away. And thus concludes larger towns and cities around me but honestly would be content with any jeweler within Canada - just looking to avoid border delays, duty, and high shipping costs for a simple setting I think most jewelers could do!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ex Aurum was enthusiastically recommended here on PS some years ago, and it currently has good reviews on Google, WeddingWire , etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results