shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for pretty gemstone and very lost

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Hi folks! I have a vague idea of what I want for a gemstone for an engagement ring - I am looking for radiant or emerald cut gemstone (maybe spinel?) of a fairly large size for a not outrageous price. I have found this one and am just curious of what people think of it. When this is set will it look mostly black? I have no idea what I am doing ..10/10 prime candidate to be scammed LOL. Is there is anything I should be looking for / avoiding in my search?

stone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is rather dark? Are you looking specifically for wine colored gems?

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Good question - I have no idea what I am looking for. LOL. I love love love the colour and look of this stone but then someone mentioned it would essentially lose all colour and become a stone with no depth once it was set and on my finger and I was sad because I otherwise love it. I think I want something deep coloured more than really light but unsure how to find it without going too dark - if that makes sense?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question - I have no idea what I am looking for. LOL. I love love love the colour and look of this stone but then someone mentioned it would essentially lose all colour and become a stone with no depth once it was set and on my finger and I was sad because I otherwise love it. I think I want something deep coloured more than really light but unsure how to find it without going too dark - if that makes sense?

Well dark color does not necessarily mean fine color. However, if you like that color and dark tone, it will look very dark in a setting. Maybe go with a similar color, but a shade lighter?

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Well dark color does not necessarily mean fine color. However, if you like that color and dark tone, it will look very dark in a setting. Maybe go with a similar color, but a shade lighter?

that makes sense for sure - perhaps I will keep looking. I don't know why my heart is so set on this stone aha thank you!

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Would either of these have a less dark look once they were set? Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.03.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.01.34 PM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are in good hands with this vendor. I would ask his advice about which is likely to maintain brightness once set. From the website, I like the most recent one you posted (at the bottom of your previous post).

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
You are in good hands with this vendor. I would ask his advice about which is likely to maintain brightness once set. From the website, I like the most recent one you posted (at the bottom of your previous post).

I figured someone would recognize his hands LOL. I don't know why I didn't think to just ask him if there was a way to maintain the deep purple colour - sometimes I am not the sharpest aha what a fab suggestion!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would either of these have a less dark look once they were set? Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.03.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.01.34 PM.png

The first one is cut well, but the second is too fuzzy for me to properly evaluate. I agree about asking the vendor lots of questions about tone.

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
I sent a message to him! I am obsessed with both the first and second stones posted so hopefully he replies and is like ~here is a magical answer that solves all your worries aha

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I will say that not all dark colored spinels lose their sparkle factor. You have to watch out for depth on the cut, too shallow and it goes flat, too deep and it's a black hole. I have a purple- it's really dark but deep enough that there is good dispersion- it looks like stars inside, in a prong setting it won't change much. Here it is unset. All I need is the money to set it :))

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
I will say that not all dark colored spinels lose their sparkle factor. You have to watch out for depth on the cut, too shallow and it goes flat, too deep and it's a black hole. I have a purple- it's really dark but deep enough that there is good dispersion- it looks like stars inside, in a prong setting it won't change much. Here it is unset. All I need is the money to set it :))

I know nothing about depth but I am hoping the guy who cut the ring does and he did it right AHAH. Your stone is absolutely lovely!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about depth but I am hoping the guy who cut the ring does and he did it right AHAH. Your stone is absolutely lovely!

Why, thank you, most people don't care for the dark and lovelies but I find them fascinating when they 'come out right', ya know? I think you're going to find an awesome stone. It's okay if it takes a little while. That's totally normal. Look around, they're out there.
Check out Etsy and look at Insta because they have lots of videos/pictures to help figure out what kind of cut you like and the exact dark purply color you want. It helps to price gauge too for size/cost per carat.
* and Ebay too! With any stone make sure it's certified by a reputable lab.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also look at Lang or Berganza and see what your favorite stones look like when set in a variety of ways.

Buying a vintage or antique ring is generally a lot cheaper than creating one from scratch.

Those vendors will not have much or even any (?) spinel because they were seldom used apart from when they were mistaken for ruby. I think they are a great choice for a center colored stone; however, prices have risen so high and so fast they are approaching -- or even surpassing -- sapphire level.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It also depends on the lighting. On a drab day or in a room with natural diffused light, you won’t get much sparkle from a very dark gem, whether it’s spinel or something else. If the gem is lighter, at least you can enjoy some light return in those lighting situations.

I would not go darker than medium dark tone for any gem. That’s a fairly dark tone, but not to the point where you’re sacrificing color as well.

I think this stone the OP picked out has potential, but you really need to see it in natural diffused lighting.

Attachments

• C336E4F2-6FDD-427B-91AD-312D3E5862A5.jpeg
    C336E4F2-6FDD-427B-91AD-312D3E5862A5.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 13

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
He sent videos of them in outside lighting in his hand and I do have to say that the are all gorgeous in hand AND I asked him if there is a best setting for ensuring that gets enough light to not go too dark. I still really love both the first stone I shared and the one @T L just shared as well and am torn between them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He sent videos of them in outside lighting in his hand and I do have to say that the are all gorgeous in hand AND I asked him if there is a best setting for ensuring that gets enough light to not go too dark. I still really love both the first stone I shared and the one @T L just shared as well and am torn between them.

I would likely buy both to see IRL and return one.

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
I would likely buy both to see IRL and return one.

I think that is going to be the route I take - it was the advice of a few other people as well. I did contact someone to set it and asked if they could set the darker stone in way that gets the most light and they are sending a sketch to me soon.

Thank you guys for all your input + I know this stone purchase isn't HUGE in terms of money, but as someone who wears 0 jewelry and likely never will beyond this ring, it feels like a massive amount of money in this one area to me and, as such, is stressing me out :lol-2:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think seeing the stones in person is very important and will help to make it clear what you will love to wear. I‘m a big fan of darker stones and will say that it‘s important to keep them clean to look their best and sparkle. If it’s a ring you wear everyday I would even give it a quick scrub with a baby toothbrush and dawn soap as part of your morning or evening routine. It will make a huge difference in its light performance. Best of luck on your search!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@helpmepickagemstone He is a super nice guy and easy to work with, so I think you'll be able to find what you want from him!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For your setting, you might think about whatever lets light get to the stone. A halo tends to darken things. However, having some diamonds nearby tends to create the sense of sparkle.

I set my darkest blue-green sapphire in a simple solitaire, and I wish now that I had chosen a setting with more sparkle. I usually wear it with a band with diamonds to make up for it. In my situation the vendor’s picture was flooded with light, and I fell in love with that image. But the stone doesn’t look like that unless I am out in the sun. Indoors, it usually looks almost black, which is kind of disappointing.

I think the wonderful thing about gemstones is the variety. That is a lovely wine color, and lucky you to find a spinel you like that is still affordable. I would look at lots of different ones and compare—just a little more pink-red, a little more purple-blue, a little more brown, a little more pastel. I think you will be reassured about your sweet spot.

Congratulations on your engagement!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some shots of my dark blue-green parti sapphire in different lights. It has a really cool green stripe through the middle that you can see in bright light. Definitely has different personalities on different days, but I enjoy this ring more outdoors.

Sorry, I am not a very steady photographer, but hopefully you get the idea. Outdoors in indirect and direct light, shade, and 2 indoor photos, with my iPad. 80FE2A08-DD87-4F78-AC76-7C3579CC04B0.jpeg
397CB798-5752-4B06-A9D3-1F19B71E11FA.jpeg C78A7D58-E1FE-455B-87E1-34D943DE4285.jpeg E40F32ED-D3BE-4FB4-81C2-4598E9432792.jpeg 0C6A2E61-0A3B-4C56-8224-2C798A36EC7A.jpeg

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
You cannot sell stones here. And the OP wants a specific shade/color, which spess is not.

Very true,not selling,I keep what I can☺️

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you mean rhodolite garnet, as it has a wine colored shade similar to what the OP likes.
Someone on this forum has them for sale atm,their raw,cut and carat is negotiable.

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
So my significant other went ahead and ordered the original stone I loved - it should be here Tuesday. I was hoping to order both but he was trying to be proactive and we love that about him so if I get it and am underwhelmed, I will return it!

I have now looked AT SO MANY STONES. Like so many. And this original stone still speaks to me but am considering a setting that has some side diamonds or sparkle now so thankyou, @MissyBeaucoup for the suggestion!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results