Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for opinions: Should I keep this one??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ETX

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Here's the deal. I did a fair amount of research on the net and consulted a few B&M stores before purchasing a diamond. I did learn that cut was everything....and I made my purchase based on that assumption. I purchased an 'ideal' cut diamond from bluenile.com. I'm very pleased with the appearance, but I have nothing to compare it to side by side. I was completely happy with the diamond until I started reading more on the internet (after the purchase) about the Super Ideals out there...Eightstar, ACA, Superbcerts, etc. Now I am questioning whether I should reconsider and look at these super ideals. Here are the specs on my blue nile diamond.1.01c round
AGS000 cut (not sold as an H&A)
Measurements: 6.43-6.50x3.92mm
Girdle: 1.2-2.1
Culet: none
Flourescence: none
G
SI1
Table: 57
Depth: 60.6
Crown%: 14.5
Pavilion%: 42.7
Crown angle: 34.2
Pavilion angle: 40.7
Price: $6166The diamond did score quite well on the HCA.
Brilliance: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very GoodTotal Visual Performance: 1-Excellent (or 0.4 when using percents instead of angles)My questions are: Did I get a good deal? Would a branded H&A (such as Eightstar, ACA, Superbcert) with similar proportions look better to the eye than my diamond? $6000 is already about breaking the bank, so I may have to sacrifice some color for a super ideal. What do you think? I would prefer to keep my diamond (from a lazyness standpoint), but am willing to return it if you all think a branded H&A is the way to go for the best sparkle. Thank you so much in advance for your advice!! I really appreciate it!!ETX

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy your diamond-I'm sure it's very beautiful!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the debate will rage for some time about symmetry.
I know the traditional thinking is very very wrong. It is possible to have poor symmetry and a better looking diamond, and it is possible to have good symmetry and a worse looking diamond.
The answer is it depends!
I doubt very much if you put the stone you have alongside 1000 diamonds with a random selection including 5-10 H&A that your stone would not be in the top 10- 20 of most peoples selection.
Stick with it, you did good research.
Garry H

ETX

Rough_Rock
Lawmax and Gary,Thank you so much for the confidence boost...that's what I was looking for. Gary, Thanks for developing the HCA...it proved invaluable as a final check on my cut. Thanks again!ETX

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.