shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for opinions on my WF wax

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Just got the wax photos back of my wedding ring from WF and wanted some opinions on it. It is so hard to know exactly what it will look like when it is in metal as opposed to wax. Can I expect it to look more delicate than it does in the wax or will it get bulkier once it is cast in Platinum. Any expert opinions would be greatly welcomed

Wedding Ring wax 1.JPG

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Another photo of the wedding ring by itself

Wedding ring wax 2.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it''s going to be pretty wide. I sort of prefer thinner wedding bands with the wider e-ring settings like x-prongs. And I like a straight band so it can be worn alone when necessary. This is a very non-expert opinion, though! So as long as it''s what you like, that''s what counts! Did you see a set similar to it that you are copying?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t used WF for custom settings, nor have I ever received photos of a wax mold. When I did go "custom", I was sent an actual silver cast of the ring. I''m not sure how the accuracy compares, but it was very helpful to have a tangible "first draft". I found that the cast''s ring size was off by 1/2 size because the ring will loose mass as it is polished. If your ring looks too big in the photo, keep in mind that it will get somewhat smaller through the polishing process.

Now is the time though to bring up any concerns with your vendor. You''re best off asking as many questions as possbile now, rather than after the ring has been cast and polished. Polishing is a huge, time-consuming process, so both you and the vendor are better off if you suspect you won''t be happy.

We will all be anxious to see the final product - please be sure to post photos!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it will absolutely look more delicate. wf turns out a great product, and there is no way they are going to leave you with a ring that is bigger and bulkier than the original. the wax just gives the general idea. it is far from the refined (and delicate!) end product.
don''t sweat it.
2.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think the green wax things always look bulkier than the finished because they leave enough metal to be able to polish some away.

By design it is a thick band and it''d have to be to accomodate the large stones you are using. I think it will be very pretty and my guess is you are comfortable with 2 wide bands on your finger. If you have very tiny fingers it probably would feel uncomfortable.

What are the specs on all your stones? The asscher looks beautiful. Did WF make your ering?? I really like the thick shiney platinum around the stone. It goes so well with an asscher.

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I definitely appreciate the opinions. I did consider a thinner band and went back and forth between a 5 stone and a 7-stone to make it a little thinner but I wanted the stones in the wedding band to be noticeable as asschers and I didn't think I could go below 0.2 ct weight stones. I do like rings though that have some substance to them. I have never been a huge fan of overly delicate settings. I work in the medical field and need something that is strong enough to take the abuse of daily wear. I did consider having the band made straight but then it wouldn't sit flush. I actually doubt I will ever want to wear the band alone anyways and will probably have them soldered together after the wedding. I am glad though to hear that it should look a little more delicate than the wax does. was worried about the thickness of the metal in the semi-bezels and am thinking I might mention to them if they could make them as thin as is safely possible. I don't know the specs on the wedding band stones yet although I emailed WF to ask them about it. I will list the specs on the e-ring below. It is not a custom ring just a mount that my fiance saw at a friends jewelry store and gnew I had mentioned that I liked a similar ring ( I was looking at the Jeff cooper rings at the time) and picked it out all on his own

Ct wt 1..26 Asscher cut
6.01 x 5.87 x 4.12 mm
L/W 1.02
Color G
Clarity VS2
Polish Very good
Symmetry good
Flourescence medium blue
Crown angle 43.5
Crown height 14.1%
Pavilion angle 59.2
Pavioion depth 51.0%

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would want it to be a straight band to wear alone. That is the only thing I would change IMHO.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will look great once it''s finished. The waxes are generally more bulky than what the finished product will be. They have to allow room for polishing, and such. I can''t wait to see it once it''s completed. Your ering is lovely!!! I''m a big asscher fan myself!!!
1.gif

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 9:38:43 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I would want it to be a straight band to wear alone. That is the only thing I would change IMHO.
Is it possible to have a straight band that will sit flush with an x-prong setting?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I really like those gently curved wedding rings... I think they look lovely on their own, too.

And yes, the finished product will be MUCH more delicate than the wax. I promise!

kkal474

Rough_Rock
just for reference my ring size is a 5.75 and I have pretty long fingers (perfect for playing the piano as my mother used to say when she was pushing me to practice as a kid!!!)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 9:42:32 PM
Author: kkal474

Is it possible to have a straight band that will sit flush with an x-prong setting?

I am not sure. You would have to ask WF. I personally don't mind a slight gap if it means a straight band. OR you could get a spacer made to "fill" in the gap. If you don't mind the curve than go for your initial plan. Since you asked for opinions, that is mine.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the gentle curve as well and if you did ever decide to wear it alone (without that beautiful asscher!
6.gif
) it would be stunning in it''s own right.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here''s a little comparison photo for you of Researcher''s w-band

wax:
SM.jpg.jpg

finished ring:

myrings68.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sevens, good find! That is a great example.

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I really do appreciate all the opinions and I do LOVE Researchers set. I guess I never really considered putting a spacer band in. Definitely something to think about. That is the beauty of this forum and I love being able to get different people''s opinions and ideas
21.gif

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
I like it the way it is! I think that the curve is so gentle that the band could still be worn alone. Whatever you chose, I''m sure it will look fabulous.

Can''t wait to see the finished product.

ETA: I''m no expert, but I have seen many wax-to-real projects and they always look bulkier in wax form.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hi, the wax always looks bulkier than the finished product. Green wax can only be so finished looking too. I've had two rings custom made and the wax is always weird looking.

That said, I think you having long piano fingers is perfect for the two substantial bands. I wouldn't do the spacer band, I like the set you've got.

DG

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like the curve on your wedding band. And I think it will look just fine by itself. Wear your rings for a while before you get them soddered together. My friend did it and she is sorry. She says it''s not comfortable because no air can get between the rings and the skin stays wet and gets irritated.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will definitely look more delicate. Also, they could probably shave extra metal off if it isn''t quite as thin as you would like.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! It looks like a set that would last a lifetime :) I don''t think that band will be too bulky - I think the two will complement each other very well!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
normally I would agree, but I think this band is substantial enough and straight *enough* you could totally wear it alone!

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I have e-mailed Bob at WF to see if the band can be made a little thinner. My fiance looked at it last night and thought that it was a little too thick as well so I will see what he says about it. I still would like to keep the size of the stones but hoepefully the metal portion can be trimmed somewhat or tapered a little to thin out the band.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I like it curved IMO
But I would taper the sides a bit for a more delicant look

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I talked to Bob at WF today and they are going to try and make the wedding band as thin as possible. He assured me that the wax looks much bulkier than the ring will look once completed. They are also going to taper the sides of the wedding band as it comes down similar to the wedding band in order to take away some of the bulk. I suppose I will have to wait and see. This process has certainly been a learning experience. Thanks to everyone. Will show pictures once I have more
21.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''m a little late chiming in but I wanted to say WOW! I really like your set! I think it will look great. I have never seen a wax in person but on PS, it seems like often the finished product looks a lot more delicate than the wax. I''m sure the folks at WF will do a fantastic job for you! I have a curved band too, and it is annoying how they do not always line up right. I thought that they would stay together on my finger (the gal in the store said that it does for most people). However, for me the w-band spins a bit. I''ve tried a few different sizing solutions but none has fixed it 100%. It would not be a problem if I had them soldered together, but some days I like wearing my e-ring with a different band that I have. Also, I rarely wear my curved band solo outside the house, because I almost always wear the set. However, I often take off my e-ring and wear my w-band solo while I am cleaning, etc at home. I think it looks fine alone even though it is curved! I hope this helps, I know I am a little rambly tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results