shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for opinion on this gem - 1.8 carat from James Allen

projek01

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my future purchase.

I have a budget of approx 20k CAD (~15000USD) on the diamond for an engagement ring. I have my eyes set on the following gem:

jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.80-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9208232

It is currently on hold for me for 48 hours. I forgot but I think this one was around $19500 CAD ad the upper range of my budget. It looks good based on my untrained eye.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my future purchase.

I have a budget of approx 20k CAD (~15000USD) on the diamond for an engagement ring. I have my eyes set on the following gem:

jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.80-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9208232

It is currently on hold for me for 48 hours. I forgot but I think this one was around $19500 CAD ad the upper range of my budget. It looks good based on my untrained eye.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

You would need to check the GIA certificate to see whether it's worth considering. Unfortunately at JA you need to speak to a customer service rep to have them email it to you. You can then post it here as an image.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are you trying to reach, and what color/clarity?

EDIT. if I had 15K and wanted to stay in the near colorless range (H+), I would likely buy this:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10812 or https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10853

Or this: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018635.htm?source=pricescope
but you would need to ask them to take real life pics because you want to know how "Eye clean" it is, and at what distance.

HPD and WF are 2 of the most recommended vendors here becuase of their branded super ideal cut stones, and lifetime upgrade policy where you only have to spend $1 more.

projek01

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs

Thank you for your recommendations, I was looking for something in the 1.7-1.8 carat size that will fit my budget with the nicest specs I can fit in my budget. I will check out those two vendors.

I have the GIA cert attached of the James Allen gem I was looking at as well.

Thanks again!

cert.jpeg

projek01

Rough_Rock
HCA.JPG

Just learnt about the HCA tool based on other posts. Ran one on this stone and it seems decent. I'm going to ask them if they can perform a idealscope analysis. Please let me know what you guys think.

projek01

Rough_Rock
JA said they cant supply an Idealscope image due to COVID :cry2:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
HCA.JPG

Just learnt about the HCA tool based on other posts. Ran one on this stone and it seems decent. I'm going to ask them if they can perform a idealscope analysis. Please let me know what you guys think.

That looks pretty good! On the verge of being too deep. I wish you could get an ASET! Also, I’m a little concerned about that one spot on the edge of the table facet. Not sure if that would be visible with the naked eye. It seems close to the surface. Otherwise I really do like it though I’d want to see it before having it set.

Last edited:

projek01

Rough_Rock
That looks pretty good! On the verge of being too deep. I wish you could get an ASET! Also, I’m a little concerned about that one spot on the edge of the table facet. Not sure if that would be visible with the naked eye. It seems close to the surface. Otherwise I really do like it though I’d want to see it before having it set.

Thank you for the opinion and analysis, I also started a dialog with whiteflash and they mentioned the same thing about the depth. They are comparing it against their stone that @lovedogs suggested and I inquired about.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the opinion and analysis, I also started a dialog with whiteflash and they mentioned the same thing about the depth. They are comparing it against their stone that @lovedogs suggested and I inquired about.

I would go with the ACA no question. They have the diamond and can tell you if it’s eye clean. Awesome customer service and upgrade plan!

projek01

Rough_Rock
I would go with the ACA no question. They have the diamond and can tell you if it’s eye clean. Awesome customer service and upgrade plan!

Thank you for that suggestion. This is what WhiteFlash replied with in regards with the eye clean question.

“To me, this diamond is eye clean from 10” but at 6” I can see some of the inclusions in the crown. I’m also able to see the inclusions from the side of the stone. Looking at the table and crown the inclusions are all white. Looking at the pavilion I can see a dark inclusion.”

What do you guys think?
Thanks

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for that suggestion. This is what WhiteFlash replied with in regards with the eye clean question.

“To me, this diamond is eye clean from 10” but at 6” I can see some of the inclusions in the crown. I’m also able to see the inclusions from the side of the stone. Looking at the table and crown the inclusions are all white. Looking at the pavilion I can see a dark inclusion.”

What do you guys think?
Thanks

Personally eye clean at 7 inches would be fine, as long as it was gorgeous and sparkly beyond that, which I’m sure an ACA will be. Do you have a setting picked out? I would not want to see the inclusion from the side so I would ask if it could be hidden with a prong or basket.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JA can't provide an aset because of Covid? What are they saying, that no gemologist is going to look at stones? They going back to drop shipping I guess. :roll:

How were you planning on setting the stone? Confirm with WF if a basket would make a difference or not.

The HPD stones are totally out of the running?

You can ask both WF & HPD about custom cutting a stone for you.

projek01

Rough_Rock
I am planning to have the stone set in a "tiffany style" knife edge 6 prong or a thicker variation of it.

I just asked WF about their thoughts about this setting and if it would hide some imperfections.

I kind of set my minimum size at 1.75 carats and the HPD stones are a little smaller than I'd like. In reality, the dimensions are quit similar though.

projek01

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I'm back for your opinion. My reservation on the 1.777 ct from white flash is that it has a fair amount of inclusions and not being totally eye clean.

WF 1.777.JPG

Now I pay an extra ~$1000 and drop from an H color to an I, this is a winner I think. Its slightly heavier but the same size roughly with VS2 specs instead of SI1. I was told that an I color is still very nice and not very noticeable to the naked eye. Please let me know what you guys thing about this stone.

WF 1.81.JPG

WF 1.777.JPG

WF 1.81ct HCA.jpg

Thanks!!! This amazing to know I have some help when making a big purchase in a field I know not too much about.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Whether you can detect color in an I is a matter of huge debate here! You either can’t see it. Can see it and aren’t bothered by it. Or, can see it and can’t stand it. Face up it will look white. From the side in that setting it’s likely to show tint.

Do you know her color tolerance/ preference?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask WF to provide a video or picture of the H and I side-by-side for comparison.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the I better than the H. Have you both been looking at stones together? Any chance she might have seen an I? Most of my friends & family have I’s as they’re just a good value especially when you want to stretch your budget. The worst that can happen is the stone is too tinted she’s bothered by it but because of the upgrade policy, you can change it. My personal opinion is the 6 prongs will be ok.

projek01

Rough_Rock
She has complained about seeing some cheaper diamonds that are "super yellow" from Costco. I'm not sure if a slight tint will bug her unless she is comparing it another whiter one. Of course the cut quality is now on a entire different level compared to those.

I have asked WF to take some side by side shots of both along with a higher end colorless example so I can have a fair comparison. Wow this is such an adventure, two days ago, I was ready to buy from James Allen, yesterday the 1.77 ct from WF and now I am more interested in the 1.81 ct from WF haha,

Thanks guys!!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
She has complained about seeing some cheaper diamonds that are "super yellow" from Costco. I'm not sure if a slight tint will bug her unless she is comparing it another whiter one. Of course the cut quality is now on a entire different level compared to those.

I have asked WF to take some side by side shots of both along with a higher end colorless example so I can have a fair comparison. Wow this is such an adventure, two days ago, I was ready to buy from James Allen, yesterday the 1.77 ct from WF and now I am more interested in the 1.81 ct from WF haha,

Thanks guys!!

Just so you know most diamonds sold at Costco are I VS2.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dude, you fell into the rabbit hole like the rest of us. LOL Pretty soon you'll be starting a thread to get yourself a diamond. :lol:

WF will get the pics & video to you, they're used to it. If you don't notice any difference, or WF says they are close, I would go with the I as it's eye clean & mind clean. If you were going for a pendant, I'd say the H. As mwilliamanderson mentioned, Costco stones are I VS2. They aren't super ideal cut stones but are pretty nice for the money in case you want to shop local & need a gift. ;))

projek01

Rough_Rock
WF sent me a video of the diamonds. From my opinion, the I and H color difference doesn't look that noticable. However the D color is amazing. Although it's way out of my price range in this size. Still leaning towards the 1.81 ct. I will ask to put it on hold tmw and ponder over the weekend.

Also sourced out the ring setting that I want locally. They can resize up to two finger sizes for free and I don't have to deal with shipping it back.

Color Comparison Video on YouTube

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
They are all amazing! I don’t think you can make a wrong decision here. Please come back and show us the ring when it’s complete.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The H is the middle stone correct? We’re splitting hairs here, but to my eyes, is better cut stone. Too bad the video is so short. Did they send an image of the H from the angle you might see the inclusion? Or any pictures? I mean, you can’t go wrong.

Resizing a ring isn’t too expensive. For this kind of money, I’d have WF set it. If you go local, make sure they set the stone on site. Many will send it to a bench which may involve shipping the stone.

projek01

Rough_Rock
Yes H is the middle stone, they didn't send me a message if the inclusion, I think I kind of see it in the video after looking many times. I am still on the fence... I need to make the decision by tmw evening if I'm going to propose this summer haha.

The locally ring maker does everything in house in town. Very good reviews and he's beating the prices online. Claiming smaller customs amounts at the boarder is also nice.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you have a local person you can trust. It's not always easy to find. If you don't mind sharing, post a link to your jeweller.

I think I can see the inclusion too but is still very hard to do and only after watching that video on a loop. If WF says the inclusion can be seen by viewing through the side, see if they can take a side shot for you. Summer ends Sept. 22nd, you better get going. LOL

projek01

Rough_Rock
Getting the ball rolling on the 1.81 ct from WF. At the end of the day, I think I prefer the clarity over the slight color differences =)2

My local jeweler:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great decision. all she’s going to see is sparkle. Lol.

I’ve purchased a few items from Marlow. They have good prices. I found they dropped the ball a bit on polishing. Inspect your ring closely when it comes in.:))

projek01

Rough_Rock
Just a little update. I popped the question 2 weeks ago and she said yes! She also loves the ring and thought it looked like a 2ct diamond. The close to optimal HCA definitely helps the stone look bigger than it really is.

I also had a good experience with Marlow. The ring is currently being resized with him. Thanks everyone for the help :bigsmile:

IMG_20200927_002515.jpg
IMG_20200927_002523.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You did a great job and you know we’re going to want hand shots right?

projek01

Rough_Rock
Haha, I come from a watch background so I should know better. People always want to see wrist shots on those threads.

She is super happy and I love how this gem reflects the light.

121470001_834273730447004_5003377980106932854_n (1).jpg 121358207_1136954956700991_6590408260683540395_n.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results