shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for my first antique Georgian ring... thoughts on these options?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

I've wanted an antique Georgian era ring for the longest time (even before the Bridgerton hype! :lol: ) but have yet to actually acquire one.

I replied to a different thread with a Georgian pearl-and-emerald ring I've had in my cart for a while. I think it's beautiful—I love the "layout" of the emeralds and pearls, and the little flower details on the sides... and even if it's out of my budget, I was seriously considering putting it on a layaway plan...

1650382625534.png
1650382667857.png

but as @lala646 pointed out, the leftmost pearl looks like it has some damage to it (nacre missing) and the prongs might need some repair.

Else, I have three other contenders: two rings and one stickpin I would convert into a ring.

Ring option 2: pearls and diamond

1650382813270.png
1650382873509.png
Honestly I'm not too crazy about it. So I guess I shouldn't even have it here. It's gorgeous though!
As expected with the age, there is wear to the top left diagonal pearl...

Ring option 3: pearls and ruby

1650383015389.png
1650383065531.png
1650383097297.png

The more I look at this one, the more it grows on me... I do love rubies, and this looks to be in better condition than the first two rings.
Admittedly it's not love at first sight for me for the scrollwork but it's a pretty cluster...

Stickpin to be converted: diamonds
1650383575823.png
1650383589843.png
1650383612707.png

Rough cut diamonds on this stickpin. It's definitely the most budget-friendly option for me out of all the things I have here, which is a good thing for me. :lol:
It's quite charming; "dainty" at 6mm across...

+++++

Are any of these worth the purchase? o_O Or should I just wait...? Sigh! Jewellery FOMO is the worst.
These are all 700 USD and under. Though my preferred price range would be under 500 USD...

Thanks all for your thoughts =)2

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if this fits your criteria - it is outside of your price range, by a bit. But, very pretty…

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the emerald and pearl ring you selected. The emeralds make this such a special ring (to me).

victoriangurl96

Rough_Rock
Anything with emeralds gets my vote too!

I don't know much about Georgian jewelry. My oldest piece is from the 1890's. But I did find this article interesting and informative:

Happy shopping!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All 3 of those are just beautiful. Honestly I would go for the stick pin and have it put on a shank :D The only issue for me is the color of the pearls in the emerald ring. When they vary so much [it looks like one was a repair at some point] it makes me a little squirrely. But beautiful none the less :)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love the Georgian period. I really like the emerald the best too, but @blingmeupscotty brings up a good point that is common when dealing with the time period. The pearls. The pearls are damaged in a way that will likely need to be replaced and that can cost a pretty penny because you don't want to just have anyone do the work. That means money. The third ruby option has the best looking pearls. This is what makes this time period so hard, the cost of pieces and repair!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im thinking the pearls on the pin should be in the best condition just from not being on a ring

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure if this fits your criteria - it is outside of your price range, by a bit. But, very pretty…

It's pretty! But a bit "young" for what I'm looking for right now. My mom would adore this though! :)

I love the emerald and pearl ring you selected. The emeralds make this such a special ring (to me).
Anything with emeralds gets my vote too!

I don't know much about Georgian jewelry. My oldest piece is from the 1890's. But I did find this article interesting and informative:

Happy shopping!
The emeralds are such a beautiful touch! Thank you for the link @victoriangurl96—was nice lunchtime reading for me :kiss2:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
All 3 of those are just beautiful. Honestly I would go for the stick pin and have it put on a shank :D The only issue for me is the color of the pearls in the emerald ring. When they vary so much [it looks like one was a repair at some point] it makes me a little squirrely. But beautiful none the less :)

I love the Georgian period. I really like the emerald the best too, but @blingmeupscotty brings up a good point that is common when dealing with the time period. The pearls. The pearls are damaged in a way that will likely need to be replaced and that can cost a pretty penny because you don't want to just have anyone do the work. That means money. The third ruby option has the best looking pearls. This is what makes this time period so hard, the cost of pieces and repair!

Im thinking the pearls on the pin should be in the best condition just from not being on a ring
I was thinking about going for the diamond stickpin instead, but I realised I'm looking for a more "daisy" design for the ring... I did find another daisy pearl stickpin that is another strong contender!

While I love the first emerald ring, I realised I'm not willing to spend the extra for repairs on it as it's already not in great shape... I'm sure this just means that a different emerald ring will be right for me in the future! :D

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I've decided to forego the emerald and pearl ring for now. Maybe I will find a better one in the future, when I've got a bigger budget too :lol:

I'm keen on this other "ruby and diamonds" paste ring I've found :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
It's currently on sale for a very good price, so I'd best decide quickly, but I think I'll go for it... it fits my budget, and it will match a red spinel pendant I'm having made!
1650445508745.png
1650445533897.png
1650445550760.png
1650445783710.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about going for the diamond stickpin instead, but I realised I'm looking for a more "daisy" design for the ring... I did find another daisy pearl stickpin that is another strong contender!

While I love the first emerald ring, I realised I'm not willing to spend the extra for repairs on it as it's already not in great shape... I'm sure this just means that a different emerald ring will be right for me in the future! :D

I did a bit of looking and I found the general arrangement of #1 in very nice shape can be had for @1200.00 at places like The Vintage Jeweler. I did find some really nice reproductions as well. I would love to see any stickpins, rings, whatever you find!
I've decided to forego the emerald and pearl ring for now. Maybe I will find a better one in the future, when I've got a bigger budget too :lol:

I'm keen on this other "ruby and diamonds" paste ring I've found :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
It's currently on sale for a very good price, so I'd best decide quickly, but I think I'll go for it... it fits my budget, and it will match a red spinel pendant I'm having made!
1650445508745.png
1650445533897.png
1650445550760.png

I love this paste ring. I would vote-go for it!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I did a bit of looking and I found the general arrangement of #1 in very nice shape can be had for @1200.00 at places like The Vintage Jeweler. I did find some really nice reproductions as well. I would love to see any stickpins, rings, whatever you find!

I love this paste ring. I would vote-go for it!

I found an array of stickpins here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/120424...k_sum=561dddd7&ref=user_curated_list-13&frs=1

And this beautiful daisy pearl one. I would've bought it but they don't ship to my country :lol: https://www.etsy.com/listing/969467...8a1c595c&ref=user_curated_list-11&cns=1&sts=1

The red paste ring has a blue "sapphire" paste sister as well. Dreamy!
1650447766980.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you came across this one but it has the emerald and pearl combo:

This is pretty, I don’t usually see coral so maybe a more unique find:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found this one on RubyLane but it’s a small size (at least by my standards because I wear an 8!)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The ruby just screams "HI MOM!!!!!" lol..beatiful!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if you came across this one but it has the emerald and pearl combo:

This is pretty, I don’t usually see coral so maybe a more unique find:

The first emerald and pearl, I have on my shortlist! It's a beauty and looks less worn down than the first one I liked. :)

Found this one on RubyLane but it’s a small size (at least by my standards because I wear an 8!)

It's too small for me too, I'm a US 5! But this is such a gorgeous one too :kiss2:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Think I might really go ahead with the ruby paste ring. I've not seen one like it, but I've seen more than 3 pearl-and-gem daisy rings in my search for a Georgian piece. Which means that in the future, I may still have choices... But for now, this ruby paste ring seems like such a steal!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I did it!!! Now we wait... :lol:
1650480903204.png

Also: this is my first ever purchase on Etsy! :appl:

Yay! I love Etsy, my whole e-ring set was bought there. I notice many IG/Ebay vendors cross post on there and I like the added security.
The good thing about the Georgian ring is that the flower motif is so popular, when it's time you'll find a great one. :bigsmile:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I love Etsy, my whole e-ring set was bought there. I notice many IG/Ebay vendors cross post on there and I like the added security.
The good thing about the Georgian ring is that the flower motif is so popular, when it's time you'll find a great one. :bigsmile:

Yes, I totally agree about the added security! Buying on IG sometimes just feels more precarious than a proper platform :lol:

That's true! That's why I don't feel too bad not getting a pearl daisy ring right now... there are many of them, and the universe will bring me to the right one when I'm ready!

Thank you! =)2

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I totally agree about the added security! Buying on IG sometimes just feels more precarious than a proper platform :lol:

That's true! That's why I don't feel too bad not getting a pearl daisy ring right now... there are many of them, and the universe will bring me to the right one when I'm ready!

Thank you! =)2

I'm not going to lie.. not even a little. Buying on the IG platform seems a little..suspish. Mainly because venmo is the preferred form of payment and that's because of the fee issue. I mean honestly-you have no idea who you're talking to. But then again-the more structured platforms like Ebay and Etsty have their own issues. Bottom line-99% of the time as long as you do your due diligence and make sure they aren't a fly by night you're good to go!

Did I mention.. I'm also a FAVORITE baby sitting aunt to antique ruby rings as well? You know..just in case you ever need one lololol!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I did it!!! Now we wait... :lol:
1650480903204.png

Also: this is my first ever purchase on Etsy! :appl:

Awesome!!! Such a cute ring :kiss2: I've bought several pieces of jewelry and antiques on Etsy and eBay.

I always use PayPal and a credit card (nothing linked to my bank account). In the event anything goes wrong there's dual protection from PayPal and Visa.

Paypal does a great job recovering money if needed.

Congrats on your first forray into Etsy jewelry!! :geek2:

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The ruby paste was my favorite of all the options you posted - although I love the first emerald one from @YadaYadaYada also. Paste gets a bad rep sometimes (I think honestly the name just sounds a little off, it reminds me of glue haha). There are some really well done paste jewels especially from the Georgian era!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results