shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for matched pear cut tsavarites - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jongleur

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I''m new here. Thanks for helping me!

I have a thread up on the Rocky Talky forum about the engage,ent ring I''m trying to put together for my girlfriend.

The thread is here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-on-an-engagement-ring-ladies-and-gents.106400/

The ring will be based on this one: http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Tsavorite-Secret-Garden-Ring-eng.htm

My girlfriend studies Victorian art, and she loves the designs on this ring. The idea is to have the center stone be a round cut diamond (probably ~ .9 carats), and have the side stones be green, so that it would look like a white rose, with green leaves.

I very much want to give my beloved the white rose she deserves.
9.gif

I can''t judge the relative sizes there, but if the center stone is ~ .9 carats, the side stones are - what, maybe .3 carats each?

She doesn''t care much what type of stone the green ones are, so long as it''s pretty and durable. I think our best bet is tsavarite. She really prefers a deep deep green.

So. I''m about to go to bed, and will look through these forums tomorrow, but I''m going to "cheat" a little bit and ask some questions up front.

1. Good dealers/web sites for matched stones like these?
2. Ballpark price range? At a B&M store they said up to $800 for a matched pair, but that seems a bit high...
3. Should I be considering other green stones?

THanks so very much for any help you can provide. I''ll be back on tomorrow to do more research.
34.gif

- Chris

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know the measurement of the RB centerstone? My guess is probably around 6.2 mm
Carat weight for gemstones varies so I would also go by measurement, not carat weight.
A tsavorite is a good choice as it has an excellent colour and would stand up to the harsh rigours of daily wear.

For something like matched pairs for an e-ring, I would let the vendor do the searching. I highly recommend www.winkjones.com . Wink is experienced with putting gemstones together with diamond centers and understands proportion and coloured gemstones very well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:15:42 AM
Author: Chrono
Do you know the measurement of the RB centerstone? My guess is probably around 6.2 mm
Carat weight for gemstones varies so I would also go by measurement, not carat weight.
A tsavorite is a good choice as it has an excellent colour and would stand up to the harsh rigours of daily wear.

For something like matched pairs for an e-ring, I would let the vendor do the searching. I highly recommend www.winkjones.com . Wink is experienced with putting gemstones together with diamond centers and understands proportion and coloured gemstones very well.
I posted a reply on your post in RT with comments on the proportions.

My e-ring was from Wink so I second that referral.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Wink can''t help then try Lapigems. www.lapigems.com They cut the rough so can always cut to your specification and match pairs. I find their quality and pricing extremely competitive.

Jongleur

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:15:42 AM
Author: Chrono

I haven't chosen the stone yet, but it will be something like the one here:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213147.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

The measurements from that page are: 6.23*6.28*3.84. It looks like you're right on with the width. I'm impressed.

Questions:
1. What does "RB" mean?
2. If I buy a setting from Seller A, a diamond from Seller B, and a pair of tsavorites (I learned to spell it

9.gif
) from Seller C, how do I work that? I'd kinda like to see the stones in person. I guess I could have them sent to me, then ship 'em all off to the setting-maker?

Thanks so very much for your help! I'm really glad I found this site.

- Chris

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RB means round brilliant.

I would prefer to purchase the setting from the diamond seller B and have him/her set the diamond and tsavorites. This way, the diamond setter takes the risk of setting it. The risk of the diamond getting damaged is small but I don''t want to risk it anyway. The tsavorite and setting are inexpensive compared to the diamond.

Option 2 is to have your own setting insurance via Jewelers Mutual and you can then chose whoever you like to set the stones.

I agree that it''s best to see everything before it''s put together. I know that Wink will ship it back and forth. He did that for me. I purchased the diamond from GOG, the sidestones from Wink (he shipped them to me for preview and approval, then I shipped them back), and Wink set everything for me. Ideally, GOG would set them for me but I wanted something custom and felt at that time that Wink was best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results