Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for light sapphire for e-ring

bluelulu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 16, 2016
Messages
4
Hi everyone, we're new to the world of sapphires. We're upgrading my wedding ring and decided on a sapphire instead of a diamond. We're finding it all a bit overwhelming though. Ideally we're looking for a light, untreated and unheated sapphire in the range of blue, purple, violet, or mauve, or a color change stone. No yellow, orange, bright or dark colors. 2-4 carats, and we're not too picky about the shape, but we're wondering if there are some cuts that are more suited to sapphires (in terms of sparkle and color, for example)? Quality is important and this is where we're the most worried because some beautiful stones we've seen online have had what seemed to be noticeable inclusions. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for these types of sapphires, either loose or in settings? We've seen tons of pink, champagne, and darker sapphires but not many light ones in the colors we like.

We found some pretty rings from an etsy seller that gets good reviews on the site but we couldn't really find much outside feedback. Eidel Precious? Has anyone heard of her? Etsy can be a real crapshoot. Here are a few rings we liked, if anyone has any feedback with their impressions: https://www.etsy.com/listing/261015514/color-change-sapphire-ring-14k-rose-gold
https://www.etsy.com/listing/248872737/sapphire-engagement-ring-14k-rose-gold
https://www.etsy.com/listing/248835855/rose-gold-engagement-ring-jasmine

We don't live in an area with many jewelers so we're pretty much resigned to buying online. It's a big investment so that's scary, especially since sapphires seem to be so much more individual that diamonds. More special, but also more intimidating! Thanks so much. :angel:
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,433
from what you are saying I might steer you in the direction of montana sapphires since they tend to be a bit lighter in color. One vendor in particular that I like (Blaze n' gems) is having a huge sale right now, so I'd suggest looking through his site to see what you think:


the link is: http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=index

Also, his pictures aren't always great, so don't hesitate to ask him for more! :)

Another site you might want to explore is gem fix. They have a whole section of montana sapphires you might like: http://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-montana/page/1

This vendor can be on the pricier side, so as Neil said it would help to know your budget.

Welcome! :wavey:
 

bluelulu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 16, 2016
Messages
4
The budget is flexible since we were originally planning on a diamond. Of course we'd love to find a good deal, but it's important to find the right stone.
 

bluelulu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 16, 2016
Messages
4
lovedogs|1452985720|3976943 said:
from what you are saying I might steer you in the direction of montana sapphires since they tend to be a bit lighter in color. One vendor in particular that I like (Blaze n' gems) is having a huge sale right now, so I'd suggest looking through his site to see what you think:


the link is: http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=index

Also, his pictures aren't always great, so don't hesitate to ask him for more! :)

Another site you might want to explore is gem fix. They have a whole section of montana sapphires you might like: http://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-montana/page/1

This vendor can be on the pricier side, so as Neil said it would help to know your budget.

Welcome! :wavey:
Thanks! Looking through these now.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
bluelulu|1452986536|3976948 said:
The budget is flexible since we were originally planning on a diamond. Of course we'd love to find a good deal, but it's important to find the right stone.
So, 2k? 10? 50?
I've seen sapphires cost any range of price.....
 

bluelulu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 16, 2016
Messages
4
Sorry, we haven't seen much crossover between the prices of diamonds and sapphires so I figured I was giving reasonable information. We're not planning on spending as much as 10k but we'll look at anything under that. We're also in no hurry so we'd rather wait for the right stone to turn up rather than break the bank on something stunning but not quite right. To be honest, I would not likely spend anywhere near that because I doubt I (being unskilled in the area) would be able to tell the difference between a stone in that range and one costing a quarter that much. I hope that's more helpful. :???:
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
bluelulu|1452990117|3976988 said:
Sorry, we haven't seen much crossover between the prices of diamonds and sapphires so I figured I was giving reasonable information. We're not planning on spending as much as 10k but we'll look at anything under that. We're also in no hurry so we'd rather wait for the right stone to turn up rather than break the bank on something stunning but not quite right. To be honest, I would not likely spend anywhere near that because I doubt I (being unskilled in the area) would be able to tell the difference between a stone in that range and one costing a quarter that much. I hope that's more helpful. :???:

Ok , that's a very reasonable budget. I assume it's for the whole ring? When you say 2-4 carats, do you mean actually for sapphires or are you basing that off diamond sizes? I ask just becuase sapphire will be smaller per ctw than diamond.

Can you do one more thing? Post a picture of the perfect blue, in your mind.
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
3,083
bluelulu|1452983802|3976926 said:
* * * We found some pretty rings from an etsy seller that gets good reviews on the site but we couldn't really find much outside feedback. Eidel Precious? Has anyone heard of her? * * *
Think fair number of us were turned off by that etsy vender some years ago because it sure seemed she was buying settings from Chinese manufacturers who were eBay sellers, but passing off the rings in her etsy listings as lovingly fabricated in her studio -- and priced appreciably higher than if you were to buy the semi-mount directly from, e.g., Lord of the Gem Rings & have your local jeweler set a stone you yourself purchased into the LOGR semi-mount. I can't remember if any PSer found that some of the pics in her etsy shop were directly lifted from LOGR's eBay listings, but more than a couple of her rings mirrored some of the more distinctive semi-mounts that LOGR was offering.

This was before etsy changed its policies; at the time, etsy merchandise was expected to either be vintage items or handmade entirely by the etsy seller. Now it's fine with etsy management if sellers use "outside manufacturers", although sellers are supposed to be transparent about that and, at the very least, the design is supposed to be their own. (There are, however, an unfortunate number of people who actually are just using etsy to re-sell mass produced merchandise.)

But because I haven't recently spent time perusing LOGR's & the other Chinese manufacturers' eBay listings & LOGR's own newish web site
http://www.thelordofgemrings.com
I'm reluctant to give an opinion as to that etsy seller's current practices.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top