shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Input on Diamond and Price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SeekingInput

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I have been browsing the forums gathering information and looking around the tools and information on this site, what I can''t seem to grasp is pricing very well.

I have found a diamond that visually I find more appealing than the others I have looked at. This is for an engagement ring, in a solitaire type setting for a fairly simple girl.

This is the information on the diamond:
1.031ct H/VS2 Round Brilliant
6.44 - 6.49 x 4.01mm
Cut - AGS Ideal 0
Color - AGS 2.0 (H)
Clarity - AGS 4 (VS2)
AGS Certified w/ Laser Inscription
Flouresence: Negligible
Table: 55.8%
Crown Angle: 34.3%
Pavilion Angle: 40.85
Depth: 62%
Light Performance: 0
Proportion Factors: 0
Finish: 0
Polish: 0
Symmetry: 0

The also ran a Sarin report on the diamond in house and the only variation was the following:
Table: 55.9%
Crown: 34.4%

This information was also on the SARIN:
Culet: 0.4%
Girdle Min: Thin 1.87%
Girdle Max: Slightly Thick 4.33%

Comparing this information to the pricing shown on this website, which i know can be difficult to do. What would be an acceptable price range for this stone, from a Brick and Mortar Store? The staff at the store have been extremely helpful and knowledgable, taking way more time to answer my questions than they probably needed to.

Oh and as an aside, even though this may not be the best place to ask. Which is preferred really....14k or 18k white gold for a solitaire setting. She is a teacher, so it will be put into a 6 prong setting I''m sure.

Any Input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond looks great - no concerns there. As to pricing, if it is with a brick and mortar store it can vary quite a bit, how much are they asking for it?

SeekingInput

Rough_Rock
This Light Performance Image was also on one of the reports:

LightPerformance.jpg

SeekingInput

Rough_Rock
It''s currently priced at around $10k

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Here are some stones for price comparison:

stone 1

stone 2

stone 3

stone 4

You''ll notice there''s quite a variation even on these 1.03 H VS2 AGS0 (or otherwise marketed as very well cut) stones. Hope this helps! It sounds like whoever you''re working with is providing you a lot of info, which is good.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoa, wait a minute, $10k . . .

The most expensive I found in my search was in the low $7k range (that's stone 2 which doesn't seem to show the price when you click on the link -- it's $7288 through the PS search engine).

SeekingInput

Rough_Rock
This is why I''m asking, I understand overhead of a B&M store, compared to internet pricing and such. I appreciate the service I have received from these people.

But this is why I am asking, hoping to find some input from people that have been out and shopped a little more than me.

Anyone else think this is a notoriously bad deal?

SeekingInput

Rough_Rock
I left out a few extra details about pricing...

They do not charge anything for setting the diamond, the first sizing of the ring should I get it wrong, and if I go with the Paladium or 14k White Gold Simple Solitaire 6 prong setting, they would throw that in as well.

As I have not yet made a decision on whether I would put it in 14k or 18k White gold, I haven''t pushed to see if they would do the 18k also thrown in. I''m pretty sure I''m steering away from the Paladium Platinum...

I have no idea what the typical charges for setting and sizing are, so I''m not even sure how to properly evaluate that into the cost comparison.

Thanks for the replies thus far I will try to provide any relevant information I can if you have any questions, but input is much apprecaited.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Most vendors will not charge for setting the diamond if you buy both the stone and setting from them. First sizing is usually also free. Them offering this is not anything above and beyond other jewelers.

The solitaire setting is worth ~$300 retail, even in 18K gold. Of course their wholesale cost is even less than that.

To me that just doesn't add up to spending that much extra on the diamond. You will still be coming out on the short end.

SeekingInput

Rough_Rock
Let me ask this way.... Negating what they are currently asking....what would you expect to pay for a diamond like this from a B&M store.

They have been bringing in specific diamonds from there cutters to look at, not just trying to sell me from there existing inventory, it is a local Store, around for 50 years or so.

What should be a reasonable price range for this? I understand that the Web Sites are all around 7 to 7.5k for this type of stone. I''m just not sure what the best move is here.

joelly

Ideal_Rock

joelly

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, save $3K by buying the stone online. Then find a nice setting to have it set in a B&M store. This way you get the best of both world.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 5:39:24 PM
Author: SeekingInput
I left out a few extra details about pricing...

They do not charge anything for setting the diamond, the first sizing of the ring should I get it wrong, and if I go with the Paladium or 14k White Gold Simple Solitaire 6 prong setting, they would throw that in as well.

As I have not yet made a decision on whether I would put it in 14k or 18k White gold, I haven''t pushed to see if they would do the 18k also thrown in. I''m pretty sure I''m steering away from the Paladium Platinum...

I have no idea what the typical charges for setting and sizing are, so I''m not even sure how to properly evaluate that into the cost comparison.

Thanks for the replies thus far I will try to provide any relevant information I can if you have any questions, but input is much apprecaited.
how generous of them
20.gif
for $10K they can afford to throw in a .75 ct stone too.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I realize no one has really answered your question. I don''t have any kind of official rule of thumb for internet pricing vs. B&M pricing, but I''d say that if the price you quoted was within 10% of the highest price I mentioned, so somewhere in the high $7k range, I''d think that was worth it for liking the people you''re working with and having a local store to go to over the years. But $10k seems absurd -- not even in the range of reasonable. And throwing in the setting just seems like a used car salesman tactic to obscure what you''re really (over)paying for the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results