shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for help with a cushion

m4shadow

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Brand new user here at the suggestion of a friend for help - I'm looking to propose in a few weeks (procrastinator aiming for a December date) and purchased a ring from Blue Nile. I'm looking for suggestions for a stone with maximum fire/sparkle on a cushion cut. Must-have parameters are: ring size 7, cushion cut, perfect 1:1 L:W ratio, minimum 1.7 carats, Color D-F, clarity at least VS1, budget $15k but flexible. I tentatively purchased this one

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD14688464

but open to pointers and suggestions on better options, if available.

Thank you in advance for the help in this community and I look forward to taking care of this soon! -N

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cushion you purchased has a crystal inclusion right on the face of the diamond, in the center ... it looks like the crystal may be dark in color ... have you inquired about whether this diamond is eye-clean to your preference (a common standard is eye-clean to the naked eye from the top view from 10" away ... my own standard is eye-clean from top and side from 6" away). Maybe ask if the crystal inclusion is white or clear or dark in color?

Had you seen this diamond? 1.71ct D-VS1 with medium fluorescence # LD14706868 ... looks very clean and well-cut ... it does face up slightly smaller at 6.75mm square (as compared to the 6.9mm dimensions of the stone you bought). [For some reason BN does not include the diamond report, which I am assuming is GIA and contains the same data as in the listing.]

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14706868?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you received the stone yet?

m4shadow

Rough_Rock
The cushion you purchased has a crystal inclusion right on the face of the diamond, in the center ... it looks like the crystal may be dark in color ... have you inquired about whether this diamond is eye-clean to your preference (a common standard is eye-clean to the naked eye from the top view from 10" away ... my own standard is eye-clean from top and side from 6" away). Maybe ask if the crystal inclusion is white or clear or dark in color?

Had you seen this diamond? 1.71ct D-VS1 with medium fluorescence # LD14706868 ... looks very clean and well-cut ... it does face up slightly smaller at 6.75mm square (as compared to the 6.9mm dimensions of the stone you bought). [For some reason BN does not include the diamond report, which I am assuming is GIA and contains the same data as in the listing.]

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14706868?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails

I did see that inclusion in the video and on the GIA report, but did not inquire about whether it is eye-clean to those preferences. I've only speculated and guessed from VS1 that it might not be visible to the naked eye, but I am certainly curious about it. At the worst, if the inclusion is smack dab in the middle and only visible with a loupe, I figure at least it's centered and/or symmetric?

I have not seen the comparable diamond you posted there, but will certainly check it out. I just asked my girlfriend to search for a diamond she'd like and she chose that one. A friend recommended I come to this forum to seek help on making sure that one that checks out okay, since cushion cuts are different to assess (vs round?) and see if there are better options to consider.

I did ask for an ASET (again, only knew to ask from my friend) but BN said they don't do those. Thank you for those questions, I'll ask BN and see what they say.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decent performance. Some leaky spots.Nice overall appearance.
A- or B+

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked. It is kinda bad time to buy a diamond. It is already Dec. Buying a cushion requires time and patience. Plus we are talking relatively high carat weight AND high clarity/color combo with a very specific L/D ratio. Your options are very very limited. I am not seeing any A+ or even solid A modern cushion.

This one caught my eye if you are ok with VS2 and H&A pattern.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I would never buy a diamond with a crystal inclusion in the middle of the table. VS1 grading isn’t really the point. You will be paying a VS1 price premium for a Potentially worse looking diamond than you might even find in an SI with different inclusions Which may be hidden by prongs. Why do that?

Although the diamond posted above is nice, I also wouldn’t be paying a D colour premium either.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If you dropped to an F colour - which will look absolutely no different to the naked eye to 99 out of 100 people - you could get a 1.7 plus, VVS clarity and excellent cut at less than your budget.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you dropped to an F colour - which will look absolutely no different to the naked eye to 99 out of 100 people - you could get a 1.7 plus, VVS clarity and excellent cut at less than your budget.

Please post the link to this stone that you mention in the quote above @lonysis.

Cushions are not like round brilliants (usually lots to chose from). The most important thing in a cushion (well, any stone really) is good
light return (cut). If that inclusion is not visible (if the stone is eye-clean), it would not bother me one bit. Its such a tiny inclusion and
would definitely be eye-clean to my older eyes. I think you'd have to be really nearsighted to pick that inclusion out from all the sparkle
but see what Blue Nile says.

The other important thing (after good light return) is a faceting pattern you find pleasing to the eye.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
This is a different faceting pattern but I can't tell if it's giving good light return (LD133345939), @tyty333 . Only caveat is that this has a feather in the girdle.

You're right - it's hard to find bigger cushions with that 1:1 LW ratio in the D-E-F range!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a different faceting pattern but I can't tell if it's giving good light return (LD133345939), @tyty333 . Only caveat is that this has a feather in the girdle.

You're right - it's hard to find bigger cushions with that 1:1 LW ratio in the D-E-F range!

In my book, it is a poorly cut cushion brilliant with skinny mains/arrows. If there were cut grading for cushion cut brilliant diamonds, this would be VG or G cut.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
In my book, it is a poorly cut cushion brilliant with skinny mains/arrows. If there were cut grading for cushion cut brilliant diamonds, this would be VG or G cut.

:???: Oh man, I thought that was a brand new cut....

m4shadow

Rough_Rock

BN can't tell me what color the inclusion is, they only referenced the GIA report and noted the color isn't specified. BN is only also inferring eye-clean from the VS1 clarity rating.

m4shadow

Rough_Rock
I looked. It is kinda bad time to buy a diamond. It is already Dec. Buying a cushion requires time and patience. Plus we are talking relatively high carat weight AND high clarity/color combo with a very specific L/D ratio. Your options are very very limited. I am not seeing any A+ or even solid A modern cushion.

Thank you for looking! I just learned of the H&A pattern and like it myself. She didn't know of the H&A pattern either, and now deferring to me to pick something nice.

This thread already beat me to it - I was about to start looking at 1.7+ to see what else is available to fit those parameters. Quickly learning there are many more options at smaller carats :( but up for the challenge of searching 1.7+.

I very much appreciate the feedback on suggestions with the parameters, since I don't know the significance (or insignificance) between different ratings on each parameter.

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Please post the link to this stone that you mention in the quote above @lonysis.

Cushions are not like round brilliants (usually lots to chose from). The most important thing in a cushion (well, any stone really) is good
light return (cut). If that inclusion is not visible (if the stone is eye-clean), it would not bother me one bit. Its such a tiny inclusion and
would definitely be eye-clean to my older eyes. I think you'd have to be really nearsighted to pick that inclusion out from all the sparkle
but see what Blue Nile says.

The other important thing (after good light return) is a faceting pattern you find pleasing to the eye.

There are 35 on or under budget on James Allen alone. I’m sure that the poster will find something gorgeous to suit his budget.

Personally I prefer the “crushed ice” cushion and am not a hearts and arrows fan but it’s absolutely personal to each individual. Have you taken your soon to be fiancé out to see plenty of diamonds in person? It’s the best way to really get an understanding of exactly the parameters which are most important to her.

Good luck finding your ideal diamond.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock

This one is nice. And there is a sale on right now which would bring it in under budget.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one is nice. And there is a sale on right now which would bring it in under budget.

I also looked at this. It is nice with better light return. While OP's has relative steep crown and shallow pavilion and small table, this is the opposite with shallow crown and deep pavilion.

I would rate this about the same as OP's.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are 35 on or under budget on James Allen alone. I’m sure that the poster will find something gorgeous to suit his budget.

This doesnt really mean anything. Most cushions are poorly cut and we would not recommend them.

Personally I prefer the “crushed ice” cushion and am not a hearts and arrows fan but it’s absolutely personal to each individual. Have you taken your soon to be fiancé out to see plenty of diamonds in person? It’s the best way to really get an understanding of exactly the parameters which are most important to her.

Good luck finding your ideal diamond.

What sale are you referring to? The 25% off engagement settings? I've never seen JA diamonds go on sale.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
My last James Allen diamond purchase was 20% off - so yes they do have sales on loose diamonds.

All the diamonds I searched were ideal cuts.

Edit - I tell a lie - it wasn’t on loose stones I believe it was on a pair of studs.

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

OMG @flyingpig ! I have been looking high and low for such cutting for the cushion diamond. Is this considered as H&A cushions? But the price is waaaayyy out of my budget! How come the smaller JA cushions do not have such nice cutting? I am looking high and low for the H&A cushions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results